Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first tried asking Specialized thru their website but for unknown reason, it could not get through. So I'm posting it here (and this is a longer version)

I noticed my 2014 Crave Pro paint job is slightly different compared to what I've seen from the official Specialized website and from pics and videos posted on the internet by other Crave Pro owners. The blurred trailing edges on the Rocket Red trimming is not there. Did I get a fake Specialized bike?

Here's a pic from the official Specialized website: Official_CRAVE_PRO_29_BLK_CHAR_2.jpg

..and here's a pic of my bike:
MyCravePro.jpg

Noticed the difference in the paint job?

This thought would have not come to me if not for what I've read from Specialized owner himself about the existence of fake Specialized bikes.

Other factors which made my suspicion strong are:

1. The bike is more than 1 lb heavier than those of other owners. Mine is 26.4 lbs for a medium size frame.

2. The Shimano 615 brakes, though good enough, is not as good as the
615 brakes I've tried from an LBS. I have broken-in the brakes already since owning it January of this year.

3. The bike came with slightly warped brake rotors

4. Fox fork just slightly better than a coil sprung Suntour fork. Definitely not $600 better.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Did you buy it from an authorized Specialized shop?

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
^ This.

Back in November, I noticed a # of obvious knockoff frames listed on fleaBay.
(edit - other name brand)

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Then it's a real Specialized.

Rather than compare the paint to videos or pics, maybe it's best to see it next to other Craves of the same model at the shop. Perhaps they simplified the paint detail from the prototypes or photo/video display models for the production frames to save a little cost.

The weight difference could be due to slight weight variations in the major components from the actual frame to the wheel set, the fork, the tires, etc and added up, gives a little extra weight. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless your's weighs 3-4 lbs more than other stock Craves.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
It's possible, but if you bought it from a real shop (who is listed as a dealer at specialized.com ), very doubtful.

On the weight issue: Are the bikes you are comparing to identical, component for component, including tires, tubes, and weighed on the same scale?

As far as the brakes question: usually fake bikes have a mishmash of parts. Fraudsters frankly don't go to great lengths to match component for component with the stock spec in the first place, and it's even less likely they would track down fake versions of the 615 brakes, which, if existed, would probably be pretty obviously fake (visually). If the brakes are both fake, and picked to match the stock component spec, we're talking the world's most meticulous f***ing fraudster ever, all for a mid range hardtail. Sounds too far fetched.

TL; DR Chances are remote that you have a fake frame and more remote that you have fake brakes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then it's a real Specialized.

Rather than compare the paint to videos or pics, maybe it's best to see it next to other Craves of the same model at the shop. Perhaps they simplified the paint detail from the prototypes or photo/video display models for the production frames to save a little cost.

The weight difference could be due to slight weight variations in the major components from the actual frame to the wheel set, the fork, the tires, etc and added up, gives a little extra weight. I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless your's weighs 3-4 lbs more than other stock Craves.
The shop doesn't stock the Pro version of the Crave. They had to order it for me. There is only one spec and color scheme for the Crave Pro. I haven't seen any pics of this model that has the paint job similar to mine. And that includes pics posted by actual owners.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
Looks like it is spec'd with a Fox fork and you say it has the correct Shimano brakes. The pic you posted doesn't show much beyond the paint detail but if the rest of the bike is spec'd as per the Specialized site, from the drive train components to the correct Specialized stem, seat post, tires and wheels, it is the best counterfeit I could imagine.

I still say you have a legit Crave Pro but perhaps with a one-off paint mess up or they changed it at the factory mid-production.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Beware, a pre-coffee thought...
Check the serial # - often warranty replacement frames have different codes, paint /decals. Perhaps the LBS got ahold of one?

(tapa)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like it is spec'd with a Fox fork and you say it has the correct Shimano brakes. The pic you posted doesn't show much beyond the paint detail but if the rest of the bike is spec'd as per the Specialized site, from the drive train components to the correct Specialized stem, seat post, tires and wheels, it is the best counterfeit I could imagine.

I still say you have a legit Crave Pro but perhaps with a one-off paint mess up or they changed it at the factory mid-production.
I'm not even sure if the Shimano brakes are the correct set. The calipers on mine look different from the pics I have found on the net. The levers just say 'Shimano' instead of 'Deore' on them.

Are all Fox fork logos just stickers? That's what I got on mine.

You would be surprised how good counterfeiters are at this modern age.

At first, I was thinking it's just a change in paint job. But what makes me suspect recently is every time I see somebody posting a pic of their Crave Pro, theirs look exactly as the advertised paint job of the bike. I have never seen any other copy of the bike with the paint scheme similar to mine.

But if I can get assured by somebody from Specialized, I would no longer worry.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think that your bike is most likely a real Specialized Crave Pro 2014. The top tube cabling matches what it should be and that paint job (bright red with silver lettering) exists also:

http://www.forumbtt.net/showthread.php?54780-Specialized-Crave-Pro-29-2014

It might be that your frame was originally intended for a non US market as there are sometimes differences in finish and spec between bikes sold in different countries.:)

·
ACHOO
4,450 Posts
I think it's good that you are being observant and diligent here - never a bad idea. However you are asserting that either your LBS was duped into acquiring (and assembling) a fake bike or they are actively trying to be fraudulent. Neither seem likely assuming an authorized Specialized retailer.

You can probably get an answer right away though by calling Specilaized today. Perhaps they can check against the serial number and offer details re the paint differences.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I personally trust my LBS. It's the "middlemen" who I suspect would be doing it if it turns out the bike frame is indeed fake. In my understanding, these bikes don't come pre-assembled when they are shipped to dealers.

I'm still waiting for a reply from a forum member who identified himself as Specialized representative.

I've heard of fake products in the past making their way to the authorized dealers. I want to be sure it's not the case for my bike.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I personally trust my LBS. It's the "middlemen" who I suspect would be doing it if it turns out the bike frame is indeed fake. In my understanding, these bikes don't come pre-assembled when they are shipped to dealers.

I'm still waiting for a reply from a forum member who identified himself as Specialized representative.

I've heard of fake products in the past making their way to the authorized dealers. I want to be sure it's not the case for my bike.
Who are the 'middlemen' you are referring to? Usually a shop takes an order and submits it via phone or website directly to Specialized. You think someone in one of Specialized warehouses swapped your bike with an identical replica or are you suggesting that one of your shop's mechanics made the swap? Both scenarios are highly unlikely. If you purchased the bike from an authorized Specialized dealer, I'm sure it is legit. Nice bike! Talk to the shop about your brakes and suspension set up, may just need some tweeking.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We have a Specialized Crave Pro and Expert pretty similar color scheme, however on the Crave Pro the brake lever/Shift triggers are connected and the brakes if i´m not all wrong are Deore indeed not sure though but the levers/triggers are connected.
Is that Crave bought in the US?
Because i live in Sweden and the Crave we have looks like the one on Specialized´s site indeed.
But i doubt that it is a counterfeit

on the other hand lightning might make it look different, does it look the same indoors as outdoors?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
The photo you see is an early production one.

If your shop is an authorized Specialized dealer...then its legit. There is no "middleman". The shop orders direct from Specialized...and they ship from their warehouse in Utah...i think its Utah. If you're in the U.S..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Who are the 'middlemen' you are referring to? Usually a shop takes an order and submits it via phone or website directly to Specialized. You think someone in one of Specialized warehouses swapped your bike with an identical replica or are you suggesting that one of your shop's mechanics made the swap? Both scenarios are highly unlikely. If you purchased the bike from an authorized Specialized dealer, I'm sure it is legit. Nice bike! Talk to the shop about your brakes and suspension set up, may just need some tweeking.
I trust my LBS, including their mechanics.

So there are no middlemen connecting Specialized with the dealers then?

A mechanic at the LBS fixed the brake rotor for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts