Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old newbie
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - I came off the bike a couple of weekends ago... long story, short, I put a dent / deep scratch in the top tube (see photos). This is a Caffeine frame. I am a 196 pound rider. I mainly do xc type stuff, but am known to do drops and small jumps on this thing.

There is no sign of it getting worse ATM, I am still riding on it, but I haven't done any drops etc since the crash.

Do you think it is safe to ride? Or should I replace it? Does C/dale do crash replacement frames?

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
No one can guarantee anything. Dings like that do compromise the integrity of the frame.

That said, I have a very similar ding in the downtube of my Optimo F-SL, and my wife has something a little larger on the top tube of her Scalpel. Many thousands of miles now. We keep an eye on them, but all is holding in place. I've asked opinions of racers and they say they've ridden with similar for a season.

Again, this is all XC stuff we're talking about - two foot drops, roots, washboards are the worst the bikes have seen.

Personally, I think you'll be fine.

7hz said:
Hey - I came off the bike a couple of weekends ago... long story, short, I put a dent / deep scratch in the top tube (see photos). This is a Caffeine frame. I am a 196 pound rider. I mainly do xc type stuff, but am known to do drops and small jumps on this thing.

There is no sign of it getting worse ATM, I am still riding on it, but I haven't done any drops etc since the crash.

Do you think it is safe to ride? Or should I replace it? Does C/dale do crash replacement frames?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keep monitoring the status. Even if there will be failure, it won't occur too sudden that you have no time to react.

Just keep riding and checking from time to time

·
Old newbie
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice ppl!

What I am slightly scared off is going on bigger stuff where I might hit something larger than normal, a jump or whatever.

Has anyone get a replacement frame from C/dale? Could I expect some help from them for this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
could do you a crash replacement frame, basically a reduced price on a frame. as this dent was beyond their control, thats the best you can expect. in my mind this is very generous. i wish car manufacturers did the same!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts