Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Blind biker
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is a 15in RMB fusion. ( here are the sizes in mm)

Size 15” 16.5” 18” 19” 20.5” 22
Head Length
Head Angle 70.5° 71.0° 71.0° 71.0° 71.0° 71.0°
Seat Angle 74° 74° 73.5° 73° 72.5° 72.5°
Seat Tube length 381 419 457 483 521 559
Horiz. Toptube Length 535 550 575 595 615 630
Headtube Length 100 100 110 130 155 155
Chainstay Length 425 425 425 425 425 425
BB Drop 30 30 30 30 30 30
Wheelbase 1027 1037 1057 1072 1087 1102
Front-Centre
Standover Height 737 756 774 796 825 844

I weight 152lbs and am 5'3 with a 29in inseam. Did I get the right frame as I have to have the seat almost all the way out to ride it. I mainly use it on streets and some trails.
 

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
Joined
·
351 Posts
You have pretty long legs compared to your height. How is your reach to the handlebars? Do your knees hit the handlebar when you are pedalling while turning very sharp (low speed)? Can you touch your forward foot with the tire when you have the pedals level (foot on pedal in normal riding position)?

Did you get fitted at a shop for the purchase?

There is a good chance that you have the right size because I am 5' 10" tall 32" inseam with my riding shoes on, and I have a 17.5" that fits me perfect. It seems like a good chunk of your height is in your legs, so a frame where you max out the seat height may be necessary so you are not reaching a mile to the handlebars.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,399 Posts
How do you guys (both harry and spyder) measure your inseam? Is it a "cycling" inseam measurement? Pant inseam? Why with shoes on?

Harry you do seem to have pretty long legs for your height whichever way you measured. What length seatpost do you have? For your dimensions and the model frame you've got I'd suspect either the 15 or 16.5 (and I'd think more likely the 15) might be suitable, but hard to say without knowing a lot more...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Probably the right height. I kind of had a moment like this as well after I got my bike. I got a 15" as well, I have stubbly legs :( I'm 5'7 or 5'8 and my inseam is pretty close to yours. My seat height is pretty normal looking compared to everyone else's so I don't think much of it.
 

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
Joined
·
351 Posts
I got my inseam by putting on my shoes, standing with my back to the wall and stuffing a text book up where the saddle would be. I then marked the top of the book's location on the wall with a pencil (it erased). Measuring tape says: 32". This makes sense because 32" inseam pants just barely rub the floor for me and 31" inseam'ers fit perfect. Too bad 31" inseam jeans are hard to find... 9/10 I have to get 32" and hem them :(
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,399 Posts
SpyderPride said:
I got my inseam by putting on my shoes, standing with my back to the wall and stuffing a text book up where the saddle would be. I then marked the top of the book's location on the wall with a pencil (it erased). Measuring tape says: 32". This makes sense because 32" inseam pants just barely rub the floor for me and 31" inseam'ers fit perfect. Too bad 31" inseam jeans are hard to find... 9/10 I have to get 32" and hem them :(
While there's no "standard" really, most fitting info I've seen for bikes try to at least use a consistent inseam measurement, which you've done except for the shoe part, should be done barefoot. My pant inseam is 30" with most off the shelf pants, but a little over 32 cycling wise...
 

·
I like bacon... (clyde)
Joined
·
351 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
While there's no "standard" really, most fitting info I've seen for bikes try to at least use a consistent inseam measurement, which you've done except for the shoe part, should be done barefoot. My pant inseam is 30" with most off the shelf pants, but a little over 32 cycling wise...
Ouch. Riding barefoot hurts.

Honestly, I have the slightest knee bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke and no noticeable hip rocking. One thing I forgot to mention is that you take your inseam and multiply by .88 . Otherwise, to each his own ;)
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,399 Posts
SpyderPride said:
Ouch. Riding barefoot hurts.

Honestly, I have the slightest knee bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke and no noticeable hip rocking. One thing I forgot to mention is that you take your inseam and multiply by .88 . Otherwise, to each his own ;)
The inseam measurement was based on being barefoot to make it consistent is all I know.

That saddle height formula (.883 actually) was in LeMond's book initially IIRC and is fairly widely used, probably was used on my first pro fitting back in 91 or so, but I've done my own for the most part since then.

Did you translate my signature or do we think alike?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top