Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a giant atx-860 in red at an amazing price, dont know what year probably 99 in red with a CU 92 frame. The frame looks like it might be the type of frame that you would find on a woman's bike but i'm not sure. How can I tell? I can't find no info on this bike whatsoever...

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
ninetynine said:
I just bought a giant atx-860 in red at an amazing price, dont know what year probably 99 in red with a CU 92 frame. The frame looks like it might be the type of frame that you would find on a woman's bike but i'm not sure. How can I tell? I can't find no info on this bike whatsoever...
What do you mean womens frame, like a step through? The Giant ATX line was their performance hardatil line and did not come in a step through or even "womens specific" design. Your probably aren't familiar with MTB style frames as they have much more sloping top tubes for more clearance. The only thing I can think is that you purchased a much too small frame.

EDIT: If it looks like this you just purchased a small frame, I hope your about 5' tall.

Attachments

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
ninetynine said:
I see, well it says 14.5 so im guessing thats the size, im quite short 5"6. The bike cost me 175 canadian dollars!
Kinda like buying a pair of shoes real cheap...not a bargain if it doesn't fit:nono: .

With your height at 5'6" I'd guess that you'd fit into a medium size frame. You probably don't have a womans frame there but it is for a very small person.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
A 14.5" frame would be for someone from oh, 5'0 to 5'4 maybe. 5'6 you'd typically see on at least a 15.5/16" size, maybe as much as a 17" depending on the brand.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
These classifications...

ninetynine said:
are somewhat of a joke from the manufacturers IMO. Unless a frame has pink flowers or big letters "LADY'S BIKE" painted in lavender on the top tube, it's just a frame with a different top tube to seat tube ratio. The accepted standard men's bike assumes longer torso/shorter leg ratio, while the standard women's bike assumes the opposite. The problem is that many men and women fit the reverse sizing assumption. When different sizing is offered on the same frame, manufacturers should just desigate the ratio difference in some standard manner so that a guy with long legs and short torso has a better option. I notice that fewer and fewer of these "women specific" bikes are coming with "girly" paint jobs and graphics, and I think more and more women are appreciative of this. Manufacturers shouldn't assume that women just want an adult sized Barbie bike.:D At our shop, we've sold several women's geometry bikes to guys who had the longer leg/shorter torso build. Those bikes had no graphics or paint jobs that set them apart from the men's bikes in any "feminine" way. Ninetynine, if your Giant fits you and the frame isn't dolled up with girly graphics and a pink basket, I'd ride it until until that lifetime subscription to "Good Housekeeping" ran out.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
DeeEight said:
A 14.5" frame would be for someone from oh, 5'0 to 5'4 maybe. 5'6 you'd typically see on at least a 15.5/16" size, maybe as much as a 17" depending on the brand.
Actually, i'm 5'7 and ride a 15". And it almost too big. Why? Because I have short legs. Plus, there's a such thing as adjustable seat posts and switching stems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think some of the Giant bikes just have that "look". I recently purchased a new Giant Rainier (19") and never even gave the sloping crossbar any thought until I rode the bike over to my buddies house the day I bought it. His first words were "why did you buy a girl's bike?" After spending $600+ on a bike, that's not what you want to hear!!

But after thinking about it, I don't care what others think of the bike. I rode 5 bikes the day I decided to purchase the Rainier, and this one came out on top in comfort, ride, and features. Alot of the higher $$ full suspension bikes have similar looks. Ride it and enjoy!!

Here's a pic of my bike. It has similar geometry as the atx above.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
tnGreg said:
I think some of the Giant bikes just have that "look". I recently purchased a new Giant Rainier (19") and never even gave the sloping crossbar any thought until I rode the bike over to my buddies house the day I bought it. His first words were "why did you buy a girl's bike?" After spending $600+ on a bike, that's not what you want to hear!!

But after thinking about it, I don't care what others think of the bike. I rode 5 bikes the day I decided to purchase the Rainier, and this one came out on top in comfort, ride, and features. Alot of the higher $$ full suspension bikes have similar looks. Ride it and enjoy!!

Here's a pic of my bike. It has similar geometry as the atx above.

Actually, thats how the new Rainier's look. Personally, I like the new top tube design, reminds me of the Meistro line. Congrats.

·
Yoooleeeaaaaahna Victoria
792 Posts
No...

Greets,

No, you did not buy a bike made for a woman; you bought a small-frame bike. A friend with whom I used to ride whilst in university in the USA owned a Giant ATX-860 and it was a quite sweet bike for the time. Indeed, it is a small frame but certain not a gender-specific bike.

If the bike fits your body, then be happy! I ride a custom Litespeed which might equate to a similar size. I have quite long legs but a very short upper body, thus the need for a short top-tube span with good stand-over height.

Julianna

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
My hardtails a 14" and Im 5'9" I just have a long stem and seatpost but the bike is super nimble in the woods.

·
Registered
242 Posts
ninetynine said:
Oh My God!!!! Dude, that's a chick's bike!
Kidding
go ride it and stop worrying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.