Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just did a lower leg service on my 2019 Fox 36 (fit4), and everything went smoothly until I went to re-pressurize the air chamber, and I noticed I have several millimeters less travel than before? Anyone know what's going on? It also feels a bit "dull" compared to before... My wife has the same fork/travel on her bike so it is easy to compare. I have not serviced my wife's fork yet.

Thank you.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Did you equalize pressure in the positive and negative air chambers as you re-pressurized? Try depressurizing and pump it up again pausing in 25-50 psig intervals and cycle the shock a few times at each interval.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I did not at first... I know, stupid mistake I found after going back and watching some youtube videos.

I then released all air (which causes the stanchions to get sucked all the way into the lowers, is this normal?), and tried to adding air and equalizing every 5/10psi. This did not fix this issue.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I tried the zip tie and I did hear a hiss. I did this at 10psi, and 52psi (my normal pressure) and again around 100psi. I then released all air, and brought it back to 52psi, doing the cycling/equalizing trick ever 10-15psi. It is still sitting at 120mm. It is a 140mm travel fork. My wife's identical fork is at 141mm.

Should I try pulling the lowers back off and re-assembling with both rods extended? Any other thoughts (that would be simpler)?

Thanks guys

·
bike tester
1,281 Posts
if it got sucked down on depressurisation, you have a bit too much negtive pressure and your equalising dimple might have become clogged with slick honey.

depressurise again and force the fork to extend until you hear the piston reach the dimple, then its business as usual (pump up, equalise and so on)

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
So I tried the zip tie and I did hear a hiss. I did this at 10psi, and 52psi (my normal pressure) and again around 100psi. I then released all air, and brought it back to 52psi, doing the cycling/equalizing trick ever 10-15psi. It is still sitting at 120psi. It is a 140mm travel fork. My wife's identical fork is at 141mm.

Should I try pulling the lowers back off and re-assembling with both rods extended? Any other thoughts (that would be simpler)?

Thanks guys
Are you an engineer? I wouldn't be worried about 1mm... It's a mountain bike fork. Go ride your bike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.