Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hit it yet? Conditions? I want to come up this weekend, but only if most of the mountain is open.
 

·
Bored Carp
Joined
·
1,596 Posts
The lower mountain is open, rode it yesterday. Still have to cross the odd snowfield mid-run. Bit of a flow killer. Upper mountain looks to be a ways off, but who knows, it is pretty warm today.
 

·
Team Sanchez
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chuky. Looks like I'll wait a bit before coming all that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
So are they running the lift that stops at the top of the lower stuff (like Norba weekend) or do you have to climb up to Deer Crest, Devo, and NCS from Silver lake
 

·
Bored Carp
Joined
·
1,596 Posts
They were running Silverlake. I hope they run the other one...
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
I rode up there Sunday am. Thieves Forrest/Fireswamp and all that upper mountain stuff is still pretty much completely covered in snow. I wandered over to Devo, it's almost completely dry and dusty with the exception of 2 large, but shallow snow patches. It looked like most of the NCS course through the trees was completely dry. Where the trials cross the open ski runs is where you'll find snow patches still. Both lifts are running, but besides tourists and the few employees sitting around looking really bored, the place is void of humans.
Give the lower stuff a week and the upper sections 2-3 if it stays this warm. Someone told me they were up there shoveling, maybe for the I-Cup race a couple weekends ago. But they haven't touched Devo or anything else from what I saw.

Wolf Mountain is open and dry, except the jump park/DS area and rumor has it Scumdance is open and dry as well. Hope you enjoy lifts so slow you can feel yourself growing old on them.
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
So are they running the lift that stops at the top of the lower stuff (like Norba weekend) or do you have to climb up to Deer Crest, Devo, and NCS from Silver lake
phatfreeheeler, the Silver Lake Express is running and the new quad on the other side they put in last year. They normally don't run that other lift up to the top of the NCS other than the NORBA weekend and you have to have a number plate and a colored wrist band to get on. Kind of sucks, especially if you're pushing a DH bike with full armor.

DV has some great terrain, but I get the impression that they just sort of tollerate mountain bikers and do the bare minimum to get by. Seems like there were some employees up there who wanted to be creative with the mountain, but I don't know if they still work up there or have just given up and moved on. Add to that, didn't two people die up there last year? I'm sure that hasn't helped our cause.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,972 Posts
Anyone willing to show me around Sun Jun 22??

will be with my M-3......raced expert DH last year but just coming back from a broken wrist.....
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Anyone willing to show me around Sun Jun 22??

will be with my M-3......raced expert DH last year but just coming back from a broken wrist.....
Hey Shiver,

Two of my friends went up to DV yesterday and rode the lifts. Only one side of the mountain was open to mountain bikers and they are planning on opening only part of the upper section later this week: the Twist and Shout, Sunset, Nail Driver side. The fun stuff, Thieves Forrest and Fireswamp won't be open until a later date.

They did say the NCS course is completely dry and Four Square had one snow patch on it that was shallow enough to ride through.

Before you drop you some coin on a lift pass, I would give the place a couple more weeks to dry out. With an M3 you might be bored with what's open now with the exception of the NCS course.

Note: The weekend of the 26-29th is NMBS#4 so the side that is currently open, will be closed to host the NORBA event.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,972 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Hey Shiver,

Two of my friends went up to DV yesterday and rode the lifts. Only one side of the mountain was open to mountain bikers and they are planning on opening only part of the upper section later this week: the Twist and Shout, Sunset, Nail Driver side. The fun stuff, Thieves Forrest and Fireswamp won't be open until a later date.

They did say the NCS course is completely dry and Four Square had one snow patch on it that was shallow enough to ride through.

Before you drop you some coin on a lift pass, I would give the place a couple more weeks to dry out. With an M3 you might be bored with what's open now with the exception of the NCS course.

Note: The weekend of the 26-29th is NMBS#4 so the side that is currently open, will be closed to host the NORBA event.

thanks for the info......might just ride the course the whoile time then....will just see what the recovering broken wrist can take
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Rode it today - DV is good to go on the lower mountain (i.e. NCS, Devo, Old NORBA). Upper mountain has Naildriver (pretty "fresh" in spots), partial Sunset, the last part of Thieves (after the little shack) and some of the super short connectors at the bottom just before the lift. The other trails have some snow still and even those mentioned above have a few minor snow patches to cross. Fun, lift-accessed, hard to complain too much. . .

-D
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,972 Posts
anybody at deer valley sunday ....say hello....riding solo....red and white shirt, black with slight red trim shorts.....full armour ....red and black helmet...and look for pirate logo on bike

Bob
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
769 Posts
i was up at the races on sat, not racing but to me there doesnt seem to be any point to goto wolf mtn yet. they said that the jump park is going to be rebuilt and open later in the year. as for sundance...it's been so prime so far. the dirt is amazing. i am glad i have a season pass though bc i would have a hard time paying to ride there
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top