Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
oooh, shiny...
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend who is really into UFO's called me at sunset asking me to go look in the northwestern sky. I walked out back and immediately saw what he was talking about. There was this REALLY bright light in the sky. :eek: Way to early for any stars to be out. I went and grabbed my camera, tripod and long lens. Sitting on my roof I was watching it for about 15-20 minutes. It faded out just as the sky started to get dark. Here is what I got.

this is one of the first shots I took. I underexposed the shot to try and get some detail in the "light"

its the bright light in the middle of the frame.

Zoomed in.

Cropped from the above frame.

As it was starting to fade away.

·
Registered
190 Posts
ahhhh haha ya i saw that too! me and my dad first got the binoulars then the telescope and got real close up. it was a weather balloon.

it was soo bright and it wasnt even dark yet, i was like not a star... not a plane... hopefully not a meteor...not a ufo.

it was pretty cool seeing it though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,019 Posts
It's still illuminated by the sun at that altitude.

I've seen a lot of wierd things in the sky, and a few were unexplainable. You know it's wierd when your student asks you what something is (as if you know EVERYTHING) and you have to say "I have no idea what that is".

I think UFOs are cool and real, although sometimes the public just gets out of hand. As a pilot and mountain biker, the "phoenix lights" phenominon really shows how ignorant and dumb people are. When they repositioned in the daytime it was obvious that the lights followed the contours of the mountains (the range behind South Mountain), so as they passed below the mountains, they went "out". There's a huge restricted area there that is for military operations. So when looking at my pilot charts, it makes perfect sense. I was also in the military and I saw illumination flares. Basically they did what flares do. They went out of view when they sank below the mountains. The National Guard was training in that area. It's a big restricted area that is intended for military operations of that sort. Real unexplained sightings are cool, but the "phoenix lights" just shows how desperate people are for something they can't understand.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,426 Posts
Jayem.....I'm one of the skeptical ones....but when Symington(sp) (former AF pilot) came out of the closet (the alien one) and said he was baffled....my doubts started to erode.

Don't get me wrong....I don't want to believe....but I have to think that even Symington(sp), being the crook that he was, would be able to tell the difference from aircraft flying a pattern behind a mountain range vs. abnormal lights.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.