Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not tried a DHX Air, but I run my Socom with the new Manitou Evolver ISX6. I like it a lot after some careful dialing. It does have a good feel and the bottom out control works great. It also has high and low speed compression adjustment which is nice. It does not feel like a coil, but that is the idea.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Total Chaos said:
I have not tried a DHX Air, but I run my Socom with the new Manitou Evolver ISX6. I like it a lot after some careful dialing. It does have a good feel and the bottom out control works great. It also has high and low speed compression adjustment which is nice. It does not feel like a coil, but that is the idea.
How much does the Evolver shock weight? From the published figures it should be heavier than the DHX.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I have been running the DHX Air on my Uzzi VPX for four or five months now, and it works great. Not quite a coil feel, but very tunable and capable. I had the 5th Element coil originally and though it felt like crap, the DHX Air is much better.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
1soulrider said:
I have been running the DHX Air on my Uzzi VPX for four or five months now, and it works great. Not quite a coil feel, but very tunable and capable. I had the 5th Element coil originally and though it felt like crap, the DHX Air is much better.
I just got a DHX Air for my VPX. Currently, I have the DHX Coil, but I'd like to be able to easily swap between the two shocks. Are there pivot pins that are pressed into the shock's bushings? If so you know anyone who'd have these in stock?

·
Registered
160 Posts
iRider said:
You can only read this as member :mad:
i'll summarize:
the question was Air rear shocks in DH race.
4 people replied after using different makes of shock. All four switched back to coil after failing to get the shock dialled in.
Until mid travel it seems to go well (prophet as an example)
but for longer travel they found that either the shocks are lively and blow through the travel to bottom out all the time, or they don't bottom and then the pressure is so high that they're not responsive to the smaller stuff.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DeJean said:
i'll summarize:
the question was Air rear shocks in DH race.
4 people replied after using different makes of shock. All four switched back to coil after failing to get the shock dialled in.
Until mid travel it seems to go well (prophet as an example)
but for longer travel they found that either the shocks are lively and blow through the travel to bottom out all the time, or they don't bottom and then the pressure is so high that they're not responsive to the smaller stuff.
Thanks!
Would be interesting to know the leverage ratio of the bikes they used it on. High-leverage bikes don't mix too well with air shocks, no matter what the travel is. Socoms are quite low leverage and should be fine (in theory). I know a guy who is around 165 pounds and loves the DHX Air on his Sunday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The only bike named was an Iron Horse Sunday.
I guess it's all down to the patience of getting the shock settings honed, and how you ride.

As to myself, I'll skip another round or 2. The single advantage is the weight gain. With air you'll gain about 2 pounds on front and rear, tops. That's a lot, but I won't sacrifice traction for it. A shock performing below standards slows you down more than its weight gain can ever compensate. So I'd rater ride a coil socom than an air m3 for now (weight equal).

Air in DH is only just taking off. Both for shocks and forks there are still a few glitches to iron out. I'm waiting until the podiums on long and hard world cup tracks such as Mont Ste Anne and Fort William are crowded with air shocks, shortly after, the consumer versions will be getting good enough to spend money on that i worked for.
And then again, coil shock also get lighter. Look at the difference in weight between a revox and a swinger....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DeJean said:
The only bike named was an Iron Horse Sunday.
I guess it's all down to the patience of getting the shock settings honed, and how you ride.

As to myself, I'll skip another round or 2. The single advantage is the weight gain. With air you'll gain about 2 pounds on front and rear, tops. That's a lot, but I won't sacrifice traction for it. A shock performing below standards slows you down more than its weight gain can ever compensate. So I'd rater ride a coil socom than an air m3 for now (weight equal).

Air in DH is only just taking off. Both for shocks and forks there are still a few glitches to iron out. I'm waiting until the podiums on long and hard world cup tracks such as Mont Ste Anne and Fort William are crowded with air shocks, shortly after, the consumer versions will be getting good enough to spend money on that i worked for.
And then again, coil shock also get lighter. Look at the difference in weight between a revox and a swinger....
Sundays need a revalving of aftermarket shocks because they need way less compression damping. Maybe they didn't do that and then of course the shock doesn't work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.