Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought or demoed the Haanjo? There are a lot of this style of bike hitting the market but the price to components list for the Haanjo is pretty impressive. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm also interested. Looks to be a good gravel grinder, back roads, forest road, bike packing, even century rider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Very seriously considering pulling the trigger and buy this bike.
Wasn't too keen on the yellow paint, but its really starting to grow on me.
There are a few other bikes on my list of possibles but the DB Haanjo is at the top
The Haanjo Comp looks good too but the 24H wheels seem to wimpy for me. the 28H on the basic is pushing it as it is. Would prefer 32H

New fork for my 29er first tho...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the wheels suck but that's pretty normal for this price point. Amazon of all places is selling the basic Haanjo for $800. For that price upgrading the wheels wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its a good entry level bike for the money I use it as a commuter. 8 miles trail 13 miles road. Changed out the bars for carbon and larger wider tires on the front. Wheels suck ash they became untrue within three rides I guess it didn't help that I'm a 230lb rider. Called Diamondback and receive new wheels tires and cassette no questions asked. Still eventually will upgrade the wheels. On trails this bike can take a beating only thing is its full rigid I can't take the beating. I can say the more I ride it on the trails the smother I ride. The cons are the brakes and wheels. It takes a lot of tweaking to get those Avid's to work properly. I hope this help with your bike purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
thanks for the post eluv.

the BB5 have got to be easier to dial in than the Tektro Novelas I have on my 29er. Those things are horrid!
glad my BB7's arrived, waiting on new levers & cables before installing.

I am heavier than you but I am still interested in that Haanjo in spite of the wheels. It will be mostly ridden on pavement of various quality.

I've a mess of performance team points saved up. makes the price point of the bike even more attractive

·
Registered
130 Posts
@Whacked, for pavement you will be fine. Diamondback's warranty is excellent. I think the wheels i got were not tension properly. I have about 400 miles of both road and trail miles on them and they are holding up. Since you are a bigger rider I would suggest getting wider tires and having Performance tune it after 100 miles.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yea, not too worried really.
Only issues I had wheel-wise was years ago. Trek 8300 retrue rear wheel shortly after purchase, and good since. I rode that bike HARD.
My old roadie. broke quite a few spokes when I upgraded the hub and went double butted spokes (kept the same rim). More I think more I suspect a lot of it was poor build. finally tossed it when I found a flat spot on rim. bought a 36H and used it on indoor trainer until BB seized.

Pretty happy with my '11 DB Overdrive 29er. Zero issues with that bike.

If I do buy the bike, I can have the mechanic test spoke tension before I leave.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I like Diamondback , had a Accent MTB I purchased new about 1990'ish.

I am surprised they provided new wheels and all for that as it's pretty common.

I like these type bikes, multi use and they are Much better priced than more specific , growing market bikes.

There are several this style out there - they are all similar, to many come with a poor,pot hole,urban front suspension fork. Good to see more rigid.

Bar ends are nice. I added a Orgin 8 Black Ops (on sale/online) carbon MTB fork to my multi use/cross bike. I keep a set of file tread 33mm (1.5") and a set of 1.8" MTB XC race , low knob tires around. Run them together as a set and/or run the bit more aggressive 1.8 up front with the 38's rear.

Replacement components are readily available and good value...............

Best of luck, nice to see DB doing such

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
2017 Comp Carbon

Stoke demands bump.

I picked this up a month ago as my sole non-MTB bike, to ride anywhere but trails. Previously had a Specialized Roubaix and On-One Pompino, but this suits me much better.

Haanjo.jpg

Full carbon, mech brakes, 105 kit, 46/36 rings (yes!), Schwalbe 40mm tires on tubeless-ready rims (21mm internal), no-regrets online pricing.

It's a stock 59 except 4 parts from bin:

110mm x 30* Ritchey Pro stem (36.5" bike inseam)
Specialized carbon Zertz-insert post 27.2 (7 years old, finally getting some use)
Fizik Gobi XM saddle (Tail Flex & Wing Flex)
SPD 520 pedals

Absolutely love this bike. Great geometry and fits me really well (and I'm super picky). Fast, fun, stable, tough, comfy. So nice to get a decent bike without the cost/weight/hassle of suspension. I can ride out my front door any time I please, and do.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I plan on getting one either later this year or early next year. I just sold my Renegade to help pay for my Release as I don't ride the Renegade nearly enough but I know at some point I'll miss have gears for road rides. Probably sooner than later. I'll probably pick up a lower end HAANJO like the comp but that EXP Carbon does look really interesting. The 27.5 wheels might be pretty nice to ride on gravel but just not 100% sure about the barend shifters. Probably worth a close look though once it's time to start shopping.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Renegade was on my short list along with GT Grade and '18 Diverge.

Renegade is the better conceived bike but I wanted the shortest possible Reach (I have no torso or flexibility) and my riding is mostly asphalt.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The Grade always looked nice too. The thing that turned me off was the 35c max tire size. I think I read somewhere that some people were squeezing in larger tires...but I wanted something that easily handled at least a 40c tire. The Renegade has 35c tires but will fit 40c no problem and when riding gravel and dirt...the comfort difference in the tire sizes is day and night. The Renegade is an awesome bike for sure. But I just wasn't riding it. Literally like 50 miles this year. All my miles have been on the Private Jake. I wanted a new mountain bike and the only way I could swing it was to sell a bike. Figured I'd sell the Jamis while it still had a little value and then I'd look into something probably next year that's cheaper since it won't see a lot of miles most likely. But I really do like having something with gears in the wings in case I want to bang out a long ride or something with more climbing that I can handle on the single speed.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
All my miles have been on the Private Jake.
Wouldn't you know - I've been craving a Private Jake SS (or Wolverine) but can't justify a 4th bike. Besides, I sorta ride my Haanjo like a SS. During a recent ride, I was like, "When was the last time I friggin' shiftead???" Stand n' mash; sit; stand 'n mash; sit...

With 40c tires installed, I was surprised my Haanjo had plenty of room for more. I have no plan to use it, but FYI.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Joining in. I purchased my 2017 Haanjo Trail (ALU) last week using corp discount, received and built it this afternoon. I'm very impressed with the attention to detail DB took when I came to packing the bike. Having unboxed thousands of bike over the years, as a rider and mechanic, I was very impressed. Also found it pretty cool it came with a pedal wrench, torque wrench and tubeless valves. I was also stoked they used zip ties instead of those crappy plastic clips to hold the rear hydro cable.

My bike is mostly stock, XL(59cm) with the exception of Ergon SMC3L saddle and Shimano M530 pedals. I'm 6'4" and find the bike fits damn well in stock form, when I do upgrade the only changes I may make is to get a straight seatpost instead of the layback currently in use. I plan to change stem and bars, but later as the stock is working.

Bike also came stock with Shimano E-Thru axles and centerlock rotors, which I'm impressed again by the Shimano axle instead of the usual crappy Taiwan axles usually specd at this price range. Anyhoo, pics.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I'm very impressed with the attention to detail DB took when I came to packing the bike. Having unboxed thousands of bike over the years, as a rider and mechanic, I was very impressed.
Does the red frame look as good in person as online? I couldn't get a look at it, so I played it safe with the matte black.

The Haanjo was the first bike I've ever unboxed, but I couldn't get over how professional and high quality a job had been done. The bolts I removed appeared greased, the Velcro wraps etc. were high quality, and the gears/brakes/tires were practically ready to ride. In fact, I haven't touched the drivetrain and it still runs great after 7-8 rides. This is my first DB and am very impressed overall (except the thru axles, they're cheap, but I got a lower spec than you, Guy).

I personally find the 46mm bar too wide, but I've been curious about that width, so it was worth giving it a shot. Plus the tops have a mild backsweep - don't wrists go other way? Will soon order a 44cm with straight tops and less flare.

·
Trying to be helpful
2,550 Posts
Does the red frame look as good in person as online? I couldn't get a look at it, so I played it safe with the matte black.

The Haanjo was the first bike I've ever unboxed, but I couldn't get over how professional and high quality a job had been done. The bolts I removed appeared greased, the Velcro wraps etc. were high quality, and the gears/brakes/tires were practically ready to ride. In fact, I haven't touched the drivetrain and it still runs great after 7-8 rides. This is my first DB and am very impressed overall (except the thru axles, they're cheap, but I got a lower spec than you, Guy).

I personally find the 46mm bar too wide, but I've been curious about that width, so it was worth giving it a shot. Plus the tops have a mild backsweep - don't wrists go other way? Will soon order a 44cm with straight tops and less flare.
The red actually looks better in person than the photos do justice, my wife even made a very positive comment about.

Funny you mention almost getting the red, I almost got the black Haanjo Comp. Sucks to hear about the thru axles on the comp, cool thing is thru can be upgraded to Shimano or Robert Axles which I plan on upgrading too in time. The Robert axle can use hexlox, being that I live in Seattle need to protect my investment.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The HAANJO EXP Carbon looks very interesting too. Carbon frame, 27.5 wheels and 2.1 tires. Bar end shifters are cool...maybe not everyone's cup of tea. But cool. It is a 3x9 though which is a turnoff but I can see the benefit if someone was using the bike for touring or bikepacking which is the intended purpose. I wonder if any of the other HAANJO bikes can take a 27.5 wheel and tire? That would make for a nice option to be able to have if they can. I'll probably end up on one or a Trail or Comp sometime next year to replace the Renegade I recently sold.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
It is a 3x9 though which is a turnoff but I can see the benefit if someone was using the bike for touring or bikepacking which is the intended purpose. I wonder if any of the other HAANJO bikes can take a 27.5 wheel and tire?
I recall reading that all carbon Haanjo frames were the same (probably aluminum, too), so you can do either wheel in either frame. I also think that's what DB had in mind when they put a 3x9 on the EXP - that these buyers were likely to be switching sometimes with 700c road wheels and so gave it more flexible gearing. Meanwhile, my lowest gear is 36x32, which is far higher than my 1x11 mountain bike.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts