Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
I would avoid full suspension bikes that retail for under $1K.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
why avoid? have a friend who bought a KHS 501 as a leftover for under 600.00, he loves it, one year thru the rear coil shock blew out, so he replaced it, he gets to ride and play and has a great time, and it allowed him to get away from being beat to death on his old Hard tail, something he would at any other price point not been able to do win win.

·
Flow like water
711 Posts
I have not ridden one, so my opinion is not worth much.

Any opinion not based on at least a test ride is worthless.

·
Registered
106 Posts
why avoid? have a friend who bought a KHS 501 as a leftover for under 600.00, he loves it, one year thru the rear coil shock blew out, so he replaced it, he gets to ride and play and has a great time, and it allowed him to get away from being beat to death on his old Hard tail, something he would at any other price point not been able to do win win.
i guess i'm just a little prejudice against the diamondback bikes, i mean if your just getting started there fine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The suspension on this isn't any better than the 400 buck fs mongoose at walmart. The frame design is ok but if you get it plan on changing out the shock for 2-300 bucks for a decent one. Same for the 379.00 mongoose. The frame symmetry is fine, they stole it from trek, almost looks like a rumblefish, comes with all sram x4 comps but the shocks are crap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The suspension on this isn't any better than the 400 buck fs mongoose at walmart. The frame design is ok but if you get it plan on changing out the shock for 2-300 bucks for a decent one. Same for the 379.00 mongoose. The frame symmetry is fine, they stole it from trek, almost looks like a rumblefish, comes with all sram x4 comps but the shocks are crap.
so does this mean that you bought the fs mongoose at walmart.:p

·
Registered
273 Posts
so does this mean that you bought the fs mongoose at walmart.:p
No, I did take a hard look at one. I was surprised actually by the quality of a few of the new gooses. Really great for the price. I just bought a hifi. My first FS. If I do buy another wally bike it'll be in the box for me to put together. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would avoid stay away from any Diamondback bike.
Why stay away from Diamondback? I must admit, some of the stuff is silly, but they've got some pretty decent stuff... A lot of people on this forum ride Diamondback. I don't have a Diamondback, but I know people who are good and ride them....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Why stay away from Diamondback? I must admit, some of the stuff is silly, but they've got some pretty decent stuff... A lot of people on this forum ride Diamondback. I don't have a Diamondback, but I know people who are good and ride them....
like i said it's a personal thing, and sure they probably do have some decent bikes but i wouldn't recommend one to a beginner because i don't care for them. The only new bike I've every owned was BMX DB that i got when i was eight years old, now my little brother has it and it as been a good bike, but i still wouldn't recommend one for XC ridding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Friend of mine has a Diamondback HT. Been beating the crap out of it for two years....not one problem with it. For an inexpensive, entry level bike, you could do worse.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wasn't slamming DB, my first real BMX was a viper. this particular model just has crap for suspension. For 700 bucks there are much better bikes out there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd be leery of it myself. But go ride one first.

I have however, ridden a 29er Sortie, and it's a very nice bike. I really like Diamondbacks Knuckle Box suspension. Been debating on getting a Mission or Scapegoat actually.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just ordered my sortie comp, it will be here tomorrow. I have heard awesome things about them and love the knuckle box system. I feel it is a hard bike to say no to for $2500. All Fox CTD shocks and xt components etc.....diamondback is like most brands....let me be careful "lots of" brands who try and sell to a wide demographic. They have bikes that are cheaper and not to the standards of an avid mountain-biker and they have high end bikes that will stand up next to the big boys in the industry. All I can say is do your research and get the best your money can buy.

·
Quiet Professional
562 Posts
The db recoil is not a bad starter bike. The frame is solid but shocks are lacking. Too many people run their mouth without even seeing the bikes in person much less even riding the bike.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts