Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to buy this because, 1, it was the only decent bike around, and 2 i couldn't afford more than $350 total. So, whi knows anything about this bike? I was into BMX and know a fair amount about that, but mountain bikes are new and interesting, so i'm curious what upgrades i need or should be looking at in the near future.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
savagegarrick said:
I decided to buy this because, 1, it was the only decent bike around, and 2 i couldn't afford more than $350 total. So, whi knows anything about this bike? I was into BMX and know a fair amount about that, but mountain bikes are new and interesting, so i'm curious what upgrades i need or should be looking at in the near future.
have you used it yet? opened it up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure have. It came assembled and looks good as far as I can tell. i had to tighten alot and adjust some heights and such. But I hear you all talk about upgrades and I want to look a head. The front suspension drops a little when I hop on. Normal? I guess maybe since I weigh 200 lbs. First ride to work tomorrow. I'll try and mess with it abit. Well, not try I love to mess around and it should be fun. The key will not be getting busted riding where I shouldn't.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Which Response is it? Disc brakes or V brakes.... I have built and sold a huge amount of them and all feedback has been pretty good. That frame design is pretty much their Aggressive line and can handle quite abit of abuse. The only thing I would look at in the future is a better crank set up. Most come with square taper spindles and at your weight can be prone to have the cranks loosen up and then you round out the fit on the BB. I would make sure the crank bolts are TIGHT before you ride just as a precaution.
That being said it is a fun bike to ride... go and enjoy it and ride the hell out of it.

Oh and that "drop" in the forks... that is called SAG. If I remember correctly there is a knob on the crown of the fork for Preload just give it a few twist clockwise if it sags too much for you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

rsullivan said:
Which Response is it? Disc brakes or V brakes.... I have built and sold a huge amount of them and all feedback has been pretty good.
It's the base model i assume, no disc brakes. Those are crazy to me. I remember a long while back when those fitst came out. I haven't ridden mountains bikes since that time. Never really have actually. I've always rode bmx, but i figure when i'm not messing around with my son on the bmx's to satisfy myself on trails and such with a big bike.

·
thin blue line
106 Posts
A good friend of mine has had the DB Response for about four years now and has never had any problems with it other than normal wear and tear. He is 24 years old, is 6-02, weighs about 185, and rides it like it's a 6" full suspension (i.e., jumps, drops, etc). Good bike for the money. Kinda wish I would have gotten one instead of the Raleigh.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a db response sport (disc, 120mm fork) bone stock.. If you really like the bike consider upgrading the frame, because its one hell of a solid frame. Its a bit on the heavier side, but for what i use it for its perfect (rooty trails)..

So final thought - Base Form its capable for trail riding with minor adjusments
- Properly upgraded, is very worth it, and will make you happy

·
Registered
28 Posts
sounds like my story. i'm a 41 yr old BMXer and I got a DB response sport disc brake the day after thanksgiving on sale for $250.! I love it so far. Heck, I dont even wanna mess with BMX since I have this now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! I wish I could have saved $100 like you did. And I have V brakes. I been riding it to work every day and taking it off curbs and through little parks with exposed roots and on the edges of this golf course, doing my best to hammer on it a bit and break it in to see what it's got. I can't complain thus far.

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
I have one. Click here to see how it did on the first run of 2010. It doesn't look that dirty but that's because when I put it in the bed of the truck and drove out of the forest and over major potholes the dirt clumps filled the bed. I'm going to upgrade everything on it so it's a good model to play with and upgrade. I plain (In order) on doing fork, rims, v-brakes to disc brakes, drivetrain, shifters, derailleur, chain, cassette, and the grips as the stock grips have no cushion and hurt the palm.

The Response sure can take a beating!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.