Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say hello to my new bike!! (err...frame...)

Well, after some exhaustive research and countless badgering of good people who should be riding their bikes instead of helping some fool on the internet with bike frame questions, Brown dropped off this last night.

My goal was to find a steel HT that could handle aggressive XC riding and provide all day comfort (hm, still trying to figure out how this one works) basically ride all over the place and not be afraid to be pointed downhill on occassion. But since most of my riding is on the XC range vs DH/FR oriented, I stuck with a frame that is a bit more "traditional" vs the latest AM HT geo'd frames.

I picked up a used Fox Vanilla 125mm to run initially and help get me dialled in (get it?...ok, my bad). I hope to swing by my LBS today and pick up a headset and mount the fork. Prolly that'll be about it until 2010. Oh, I did lace up a rear wheel. XT hub, DT comp, WTB laserdic FR rims.

Should be a fun project.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After our ride last night, we compared the Albert to my friend's Ibis Alibi (circa '97) Both frames are "medium". The Alibi is running an 80mm fork (frame originally designed for a 60mm forks).

So we lined up the rear drop outs and aligned the head tubes height relative to what fork I might be running.

So the Albert had more top tube clearance (which is good since I'm a short 5'-7"). But the top tube length was significantly longer than the Alibi. (I'll be needing a short stem for sure)

Chainstay lengths were 0-1/4" longer for the Albert (we should have taken the time to be a bit more precise and write down measurements...but hey, it was 10pm, we were cold and only had so many hands with flashlight and support the bike frame so please take with grain of salt at this point.)

At approx. 130mm fork height, the Albert had a hair steeper seat angle, about 1/2" higher BB and slacker HA for sure. It was interesting to note than when we dropped the front to closer to 80mm, the HA was pretty similar as well as the BB height. But the seat angle was quite a bit steeper.

In any case, I hope to take better measurements during the build. Just throwing some first impressions out.

Oh, the powdercoating was nicely done. Interesting rear drop out CNC piece. Not a bad looking frame.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scruffylooking said:
Nice ottomans.

No build pics? Pshaw.
Thanks. Wife picked them out. (obviously since my recliner doesn't need ottomans)

These are the build pix. I took the frame out of the box and removed all the packing foam. I even dusted the peanuts off of it.

Hopefully I'll have the headset today and at least it will be a frame and fork. Progress!

·
Registered
757 Posts
That berber carpet looks similiar to mine- how does it ware and is it easy to clean?

Sorry couldn't resist.

I like the steel frames I have been seeing lately, before going with a fully I rode steel and ti.

This looks like a really cool frame and I happen to have a nice 5inch fork just waiting for a ht frame project.

Would love to see the build when its done.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Nice carpet,ooh i do like your fire place and that t.v is in a good place too.Sorry i have the singlespeed version the love hate and i have had a Prince Albert aswell, both good solid frames but the trouble is Dialled bikes now do the Alpine in kawasaki green.I wish money grew sometimes.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The carpet wears very well. It's all in the premium padding. Actually, the carpet set us back some but figured we'd pick it out, install it, and enjoy it rather than living with someone else's cheap carpet they installed right before they sold...and us being forced to buy cheap carpet right before we move. Spills clean up very easily (6 and 3y/o at home.) The fireplace (insert) needs a repair call as it won't fire up.

scruffylooking, two geeks standing in the driveway. His Alibi on the bike rack. We aligned the rear drop outs of the Albert frame to get a reference point. My buddy held the frame in position while I eyeballed things with my flashlight in hand. Very scientific.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like the looks/reviews of the Dialled frames esp. The Alpine. I emailed for info & they wrote back quickly. Too bad they have no US distribution. $600 incl.'ing shipping from the UK is what I think they quoted. Still may consider it later when I've made up my mind on what will be my 1st build next year.

The P.A. is very nice lookin' too!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually, I blame Jason (scruffylooking) for letting me ride his Dialled Alpine. After that ride, I couldn't get the AM HT out of my head.

Pics of his bike:

does very well here:

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, but is Kawasaki green better than Kermit green of the Niner? That was actually a good looking bike in person. A white fork really sets it off.

But I doubt my wife would approve the colors in the family room.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The Alpine is nice!

I think I'll probably be going with an On-One 456 Inbred. Can't be beat for the price...

Anyone know why the UK has so many killer steel hardtails?!? Has it always been that way or is a more current trend? Hope it continues.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, I can say that my Cannondale Rush is a very capable bike. But during the rainy winters, most of the advantage of a full susser is lost to the slower, softer, slippery conditions. A good hardtail allows you to still be challenged and have fun at a slower pace.

So I know with just the frame, my ottoman and carpet seem to be stealing the show. So I went to the LBS and picked up an FSA pig headset (supposedly the last headset I'll own on this frame) and mounted my fork. We weighed the bike in progress: 10.2# with headset, fork and stem. Hm, not going to be a light build...

I also had them chase and face the bb. (btw, I'm no welder, but I found the welds to be done well along with the powder coating.)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.