Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a teaser pic of something that's been in the works for a while, but until recently couldn't be worked on for various reasons...

The goal was to build a burly steel hardtail that could handle up to a 160mm fork, and be built heavy for shuttle days or lighter for Super D racing.

Here's the initial slap together in heavy form (mainly wheelset that is heavy, Rev 36's). SLX double/bash crankset, XT 11/34 cassette, Hussefelt DH bars, Transistion Temple Light stem, CODE 5's. Very ROUGH build, need to clean many things up.

Fork is an 07 Marz AM1 (160mm), but I've got a Z1 Light that will be in the final build (150mm).

853 Reynolds TT/DT, 520 ST, and straight gauge steel for CS/SS.

Only downside is the non-replaceable hanger.

Pretty stoked to get it out there. Hope you enjoy.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Looks fun. One comment, that thing is never going to be XC comfy for pedaling. I would just ditch the granny and put a single ring + guide on it. While it has been a while since I had a burly dh capable hardtail I do recall that chain dropping is quite common since the back end of the bike is getting shocked/bounced constantly. I was much happier just resolving to mid ring and guide. Plus, never dropped the chain again on that bike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
toowacky said:
Here's a teaser pic of something that's been in the works for a while, but until recently couldn't be worked on for various reasons...
Looks killer man! Good to finally see it, and in time for spring too!
I am still patiently waiting for my hardtail.... been pretty close to picking up an alpine instead several times. The geometry, tire clearance and tubeset on that frame are top notch!

AL29er said:
One comment, that thing is never going to be XC comfy for pedaling. I would just ditch the granny and put a single ring + guide on it.
Not to disagree, but I think it will be killer built as-is.
I spend two seasons on a steel FR hardtail (dekerf implant) with a 2x9 and loved it so much, I'm going back after a few seasons on 5-6" bikes. Short chain is the trick to keeping the chain on (and Toowacky's looks perfect). I did some of the longest rides ever on that set-up, and never had issues, just loved every minute of it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with FM. I run a 2x9 on my TransAm. I have a mid-cage x.9 and shortened the chain as much as possible. Haven't had a drop yet. What I'm interested in is the tire choice on the OP's bike. What's the kenda? A Nev? Never saw that combo before.

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AL29er said:
...I would just ditch the granny and put a single ring + guide on it. While it has been a while since I had a burly dh capable hardtail I do recall that chain dropping is quite common since the back end of the bike is getting shocked/bounced constantly...
Thanks AL29. I do know that I'll top out in a 34t front ring on a course I want to race this year, but the climb in the middle is something that I'm not sure I'll be able to achive in a 36t. So, kind of start out w/ a double and then make sure I can climb the course in a 36t, and if not, then keep the double.

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FM said:
Looks killer man!
Yeah FM, finally was able to uncloak the frame and build it, but it meant putting away the 6" bike for a while-- but that's not a bad thing. It's really turned out nicely. The Z1 should be on it soon, and will be a nice compliment. Thought you'd enjoy seeing it.

Re: dropping chains-- on my hardtails in my past I would run a link or two shorter than recommended to increase tension and prevent dropping. It's also a good excuse not to let others ride your bike. Just gotta shift smartly...

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pspwesty said:
What I'm interested in is the tire choice on the OP's bike. What's the kenda? A Nev? Never saw that combo before.
Kenda Nev 2.5 Kevlar bead Stick-E compound in front. Pretty weak sidewalls, but I've been running Nevegals for a couple of years now and am familiar w/ the feel of a Nev in the front, great sticky tread.

Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 ORC compound out back, my attempt to branch out from Nevegals. Better sidewalls (definitely seem thicker) than a Nev, figured I needed it for the hardtail, 2.4 is decent volume. Perhaps a little faster rolling than the Nev.

In the end, I'm just comfortable w/ a Nev in the front and am trying out some new rear tire choices. Interestingly enough, I've seen some team Yeti bikes in pics that have Schwalbe Big Betty front and Muddy Mary rear: 2009-yeti-303-team-issue-downhill-bikes. While it's still wet this winter I'm not so sure about the Big Betty choice...

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How to get an Alpine...

BaeckerX1 said:
Anyone? I've only seen them on ebay.
(Intended to answer that, but missed it...)

Dialled Bikes is a small shop. I sent an email to their contact addy ([email protected]) and got a reply back from Mike @ Dialled. He had a few frames in the US, so he was able to arrange payment and shipment from North Carolina, I believe. Don't think they have an official distributor in the US, but Mike was responsive and accommodating, so I'd say drop him a line and see what he can do for you.

FYI, I got the largest frame size available, a 17"x23", as listed here: http://www.dialledbikes.com/techspec/alpine.html

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
Hot damn, looks good. I've also had mine for a while, but have yet to really ride it. Got it out on the road last week, buy my rear wheel is toast, and I had to sell my seatpost with another bike. Hopefully I'll have it running by next week.

Yeah, for ordering, shoot Mike an email. He was great to deal with. He even answered my emails on Thanksgiving day.

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
Love the way it looks, and I'm partial to steel anyways. Let us know how it rides. 160 on a HT strikes me as too awkward, but it sure looks sweet on that thing.

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
Still enjoying mine...

I ordered mine last year when they first came out, and I'm still enjoying it. I wasn't too crazy about the purple color, but it grew on me. Maybe I'll paint my Preston FR purple to match!!

Attachments

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
You wacky Americans!

Mike is British...Thanksgiving is an American holiday! :p

bagtagley said:
Yeah, for ordering, shoot Mike an email. He was great to deal with. He even answered my emails on Thanksgiving day.

·
troubled economist
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update 20090405: Z1 Light fork

Short update here... Got out for a first ride today at Black Rock MBA, outside of Falls City, OR, DH/FR area. No shuttles-- you climb fire roads to the top. 2 runs, and quite happy w/ the build performance so far. After moving the seat back a tad and raising to proper height for the climbs-- it rocked the climbs. I've forgotten how efficient hardtails are for smooth terrain climbing. Recently put a Marz Z1 Light on it, 150mm-- it's a nice fork, super plush and used the ETA for round two of climbing, which really helped keeping the front down. 150mm seems perfect for this bike.

Rode clipless today, as I really wanted to get a good feel for it climbing, and was going to take it easy on the descents, but on round 2 I got my second wind, and started hitting much of what I would hit on my 6" full susser. No skinnies or stunts to speak of, but was having fun railing the berms and launching off of senders. The volume of the Big Betty was key (2.4) and the sidewalls really seemed to be more sturdy than the Nevegals, tempting me to run dangerously low pressures, but I escaped w/o any flats. The BB seemed to hook up on corners, too, as good or better than the Nevegals, while seeming to be a little bit faster rolling.

The bike is now rounded out with an XT drivetrain, inc Rapid Rise medium cage rear derailer. Still dialing in the cockpit, and need to take the time to shorten hoses/bleed the brakes. Gonna try out that Sette seat dropper, figure I can't lose out for what it costs.

Now the kicker-- with the full drivetrain, cables, Z1, Revolution 36 wheelset, DT Swiss rear skewer, the weight is ~34.5 lbs (Feedback Sports hanging scale). But I can say that the wheelset is almost bombproof, and it's the most fun I've ever had on a hardtail. It just took a beating and came back for more. Can't wait to ride it again...

·
Registered
101 Posts
How tall are you gys riding the Alpine? I'm 6'4. Is there a seatpost strong and long enough to make this work for me? I'm more or less looking for an urban assault/hucking bike for my area.

Thanks for input, G.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts