Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new chain (installed at LBS) is way longer than necessary. I would like to get it shortened to the point where I can run big/big without damaging anything AND have a spare link or two in case of problems on the trail. That would mean taking out like 8-10 links, I think.

Question 1: Does using a chain breaker hurt the strength of the chain? I used a chain breaker on my old chain and in its final day it blew apart 4 times (although that old chain had other issues as well that may have stressed it out)! Any advice?

Question 2: Is there some kind of rule for the chain tension "preload" screw (I don't know what else to call it) as you shorten a chain? I assume I should just turn it in enough to keep the tensioner from doubling over completely when I am in little/little. Is it more complicated than that?

Thanks for any advice!

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
the right way to size a chain is big ring/big cog BEFORE threading through derailleurs; see where they meet, add 1-2 links (2 if you have long-travel susp.), save the rest for spare. i've broken 1 chain in 7 years (5000 miles/year avg.). care of the chain is more important -- clean and lube regularly, like the writers say. other than that, riding style is more a factor than chainbreaker.
It's called the "B" screw, and you run it in as far as it can go before the top pulley hits the big cog on your cassette, then back it out 1/4 turn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.