Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently having issues with my gear shifting/rear derailleur. I currently cannot use either paddle on my mountain bike to shift up or down a gear, when I try to shift up the paddle just can't be pushed far enough and when trying to shift down nothing happens at all. I have a setup of Shimano 1x11 if that helps at all. Any recommendations to try before I just throw in the towel and bring it into the shop?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hi,

I'm currently having issues with my gear shifting/rear derailleur. I currently cannot use either paddle on my mountain bike to shift up or down a gear, when I try to shift up the paddle just can't be pushed far enough and when trying to shift down nothing happens at all. I have a setup of Shimano 1x11 if that helps at all. Any recommendations to try before I just throw in the towel and bring it into the shop?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Is your cable rusted or kinked?

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
Agree, sounds cable related. Possibly frayed where it leaves the mechanism that grabs it inside the shifter or something along those lines. I'd definitely start by pulling the cable and seeing if you can then index your shifter, that would tell you right away that it is the cable.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Are the paddles flopping around such as it is damaged internally?
Not sure what you mean by "can't push it far enough".
That could mean like others mentioned (cables, etc). Or it could mean your internal gear is broken and your shifters are at full travel and you expect it to go further (but not knowing there isn't more travel available).
It could mean too that your cable came out of the cable clamp at the derailleur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.