Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered a forgotten set of Dia-Compe SS-5 canti levers here, and wondered if they are usable with V-brakes? If not, what is the expected result, unexpected brake lockup, or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
wv_bob said:
I have discovered a forgotten set of Dia-Compe SS-5 canti levers here, and wondered if they are usable with V-brakes? If not, what is the expected result, unexpected brake lockup, or what?
A conversion device by Problem Solvers used to be available (still may be). It was available from Quality Bicycle Products through your local bike shop. It replaced the v-brake noodle and converted the pull ratio so non-v-brake levers worked perfectly with linear-pull brakes. As a bonus, they also alleviated some of the cable drag. These work excellent if they are still available.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
wv_bob said:
I have discovered a forgotten set of Dia-Compe SS-5 canti levers here, and wondered if they are usable with V-brakes? If not, what is the expected result, unexpected brake lockup, or what?
Not enough cable pull.

The SS-5s did not have enough pull to work with IRD brakes and they did not require as much pull as most V-brakes.

I would expect SS-5 + V-brake to = no brakes
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,938 Posts
16mm of cable pull = not enough cable pull. The absolute minimum for V's is 19mm (which is what the V-chipped Avid Ultimate levers got at the maximum leverage setting) which few cantilever era levers actually had. The only ones that immediately come to mind that met or exceeded that were things like the Tektro CNC levers I'm fond of (19mm), the old Shimano Deore/Deore XT SLR 2-finger levers (22mm), DiaCompe MX-99s (20mm), and that's about all I can think of other than the aforementioned V-chipped Avid Ultimates. Most other levers fell into the 13 to 17mm range and thus just didn't have enough pull to do the job.
 

·
Harmonius Wrench
Joined
·
8,254 Posts
Avid speed dial 2.0?

DeeEight said:
16mm of cable pull = not enough cable pull. The absolute minimum for V's is 19mm (which is what the V-chipped Avid Ultimate levers got at the maximum leverage setting) which few cantilever era levers actually had. The only ones that immediately come to mind that met or exceeded that were things like the Tektro CNC levers I'm fond of (19mm), the old Shimano Deore/Deore XT SLR 2-finger levers (22mm), DiaCompe MX-99s (20mm), and that's about all I can think of other than the aforementioned V-chipped Avid Ultimates. Most other levers fell into the 13 to 17mm range and thus just didn't have enough pull to do the job.
I've got a pair of Avid Speed Dial 2.0 levers from about 1995 which I've used on several builds including linear pull brake bikes and currently doing duty on a 29"er with Avid BB-7 mechanical discs. With the dial maxed out, I have plenty of cable pull and these were made for cantis. Plus, they have red ano levers! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
I've got a pair of Avid Speed Dial 2.0 levers from about 1995 which I've used on several builds including linear pull brake bikes and currently doing duty on a 29"er with Avid BB-7 mechanical discs. With the dial maxed out, I have plenty of cable pull and these were made for cantis. Plus, they have red ano levers! :thumbsup:
yep, those'll work, i've got a couple in the parts box. Great levers aside from the bit o' slop/flop that always seems to work into them! The SD 2.0L/3.0's work a bit better with v-brakes.
anyone recall the pull of the 2.0's? 21mm?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top