Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this question here due to the drop bar users. I'm trying to set up a bike (a 29"er) with the 287's and XTR V brakes but the rear lever feels really mushy. The rear lever is a bit different than the front with some extra internal parts. Whats up with that double holed cable block? Those that have set them up; any advise? I am dissapointed at the quality of these levers - sort of tinny. Would some 105's with V abapters be better?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tandem lever?

DaveA said:
I thought I'd post this question here due to the drop bar users. I'm trying to set up a bike (a 29"er) with the 287's and XTR V brakes but the rear lever feels really mushy. The rear lever is a bit different than the front with some extra internal parts. Whats up with that double holed cable block? Those that have set them up; any advise? I am dissapointed at the quality of these levers - sort of tinny. Would some 105's with V abapters be better?
I haven't had any problems with my 287s. As far as quality goes, mine have lasted well through many seasons on my 'crosser. They're not real pretty, though.

It sound like maybe your rear lever is for a tandem. Tandems often run 287s and the rear is modified to run two cables out for use with a drum brake.

A pic of your levers would help.

B

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah hah...

that's good info - thanks. That must be what the little two holed block thing is for behind the rear lever. Were you able to get rid of the mushyness?

They are a bit rougher looking than a 105/Ultegra, but so long as I can set them up to work well, I can live with that.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I've got 287V on my ride and no mushiness at all. It does sound like you've got a rear tandem lever and/or a lever for canti brakes. The quality of the materials isn't what the old (early 90s) Dia-Compe or current 105 is, but they're pretty durable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
problem solved

I did some research, and it looks like I recieved a mis-shippment. I've got the 287 tandem (canti) lever, not the 287V, so back they go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts