Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to set these up using only full cable housing instead of using the aluminum noodles and full cable housing. Is there a way to secure the cable housing in the last stop in the lever?.. Is this possible?

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
You don't need to use the noodles. Put a steel or aluminum cable end (cap) on the end of the cable and feed it through the slot in the lever. Make sure you clean up the cut so you have nice smooth cable movement and a clean line coming out of the lever. This is the setup I'm using on my Salsa Bell Lap drop Cx bars and if works very well with f&r XTR V-brakes. I tried the noodle and didn't get as smooth an action as with the cable.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
My experience is the noodles create a huge amount of friction. I run them pretty much as endure described.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gotcha..

shiggy said:
My experience is the noodles create a huge amount of friction. I run them pretty much as endure described.
Thanks....

·
friend of preston
219 Posts
no noodle?

im having difficulty visualizing the method decribed. would you post a photo please?
sounds like a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
crashomatic said:
im having difficulty visualizing the method decribed. would you post a photo please?
sounds like a good idea.
Not much to see. The housing end butts up to the inside of the lever body then exits through the slot where the body meets the bar.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know this is going to cause people to roll their eyes, but what does a noodle look like and what's its function. Any chance of a photo?

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not following....

shiggy said:
Not much to see. The housing end butts up to the inside of the lever body then exits through the slot where the body meets the bar.
Ive got a piece of housing with a cable end on it and am trying to follow the description, but im not getting it.

The only conclusion i can come to is that you feed the cable with the endon it through the cutout in the top of the lever and then just let the cable end butt up to the small hole in the lever. If this is right doesnt the cable move around?

HELP/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts