Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully someone here can help. My XT Di2 rear derailleur somehow managed to lose the small spring that tensions an arm against the servo gear, enabling the parallelogram to move with each shift. A comprehensive search for exploded diagrams and replacement parts has me coming up empty. Any help out there among the community?

Thanks!

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just got off the phone with Shimano NA and apparently I'm out of luck - derailleur is a total loss because of a lost spring! If anyone has any ideas for how to get rolling again, let me know. For reference I've included two pictures. The first is from another m8050 derailleur that has the spring and the second is from the one that lost the spring and fixing bolt. Di2 spring.jpg Di2 missing spring .jpg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just had a customer come into the shop today with the same issue, ten minutes with some safety wire and I got the bike shifting as new.

He took off immediately for a ride and everything stayed put.

I did tell him a new derailleur will be needed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting to hear that someone else had this happen and that a spring isn't necessary. I assumed a bit of give was needed and was trying to think of tough but elastic materials that I could use as an alternative to the irreplaceable spring.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tie the lever back into place holding the silver arm it the derailleur parallelogram, use some safety wire, wind it all together super tight, drip some epoxy on both ends and tuck it all together. Then go ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Just had the EXACT same thing happen on my gf's bike, I've been searching all over the interwebs for any info on how to fix it and finally stumbled across this thread. Unbelievable that you can't get those simple parts! I had tried the wire approach before finding this thread, it worked in the stand but fell apart on the first ride. Interesting that it worked in your case.

This was the closest I got to finding parts. Here's the exploded diagram, with the particular parts in question suspiciously missing from the diagram, doh!
https://si.shimano.com/#/en/iEV/RD-M8050

Here's a place that sells parts for that model, but without pics it wasn't that helpful, until finding the above exploded diagram... which confirmed the parts weren't available.
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/s...shadow-plus-parts-c-644234_644251_644555.html

I can't believe they don't make those simple-ass parts available. A perfectly functional super-expensive piece of equipment is now totally useless because of what should be a $2 part. Lame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts