Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Sorry but what a tremendous waste of money. I give it less than a year of service . . . if that. Unless this bike never see's dirt.

I see absolutely zero advantage to this over mechanical shifters.

·
West Chester, PA
5,009 Posts
Sorry but what a tremendous waste of money. I give it less than a year of service . . . if that. Unless this bike never see's dirt.

I see absolutely zero advantage to this over mechanical shifters.
I hear ya on the first point. Too expensive for the benefit.

The electronic components have proven very reliable in road racing in wet/dirty conditions. Its really no less durable than xtr.

As for the advantage you would need to try a road bike with it. The shifting is amazing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I saw several Di2 equipped bikes at Cyclocross Nationals in Bend last year and the course was really nasty. Some of the bikes being ridden were by non sponsored riders too. If it could survive that I would bet it would do just fine in dry dusty conditions. That being said its definitely out of my price range. If I had the coin I would give it a go.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Di2 is water resistant to 10 meters.

Shimano is already doing Ultegra Di2......wouldn't be surprised to see it on 105 bike in the next year or 2. Price will come down.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Pretty Cool looking !!! Thanks for posting !!! The local roadies, Love the Shimano Di 2 Dura Ace. Looking forward to reading a full MTB review on it.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
Obviously I am a nay-sayer here, but I still fail to see the advantage of this over a mechanical system. My drivetrain shifts smooth and accurate and I don't have to worry about the batteries dying.

So what's the lure? Its smooth-ER and "more" accurate?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Obviously I am a nay-sayer here, but I still fail to see the advantage of this over a mechanical system. My drivetrain shifts smooth and accurate and I don't have to worry about the batteries dying.

My thoughts exactly.......................until I tried it. Electric is incredible! I know it's hard to imagine that it could be better than a well adjusted top of the line mechanical setup, but it is. If you get a chance to try one, check it out....amazing.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts

How about no more stretched cables, no more bad housing....no more blaming poor shifting on bad cable routing.

Front trim is automatic......the system knows where you are at and automatically sets the front derailler no to rub.

Just to name a few.

·
b a n n e d
6,213 Posts
How about no more stretched cables, no more bad housing....no more blaming poor shifting on bad cable routing.

Front trim is automatic......the system knows where you are at and automatically sets the front derailler no to rub.

Just to name a few.
I'd happily replace a stretched cable and a bad housing instead of:

A blown motor (which is what the derailleur's need to operate). . .

A bad battery . . .

A sliced power cable . . .

A smashed connection terminal . . .

Telling your riding buddies you've gotta stop and charge your battery . . .

or getting stuck with an UBER expensive single speed when your batteries die.

Good luck if you break your "shifter pod" . . . that'll cost ya' $850 to replace em. And if you bail and trash your derailleur? Yeah, that'll be $1200.

As for "trim" . . . I adjust my FD once and then it doesn't rub. Why does this system need to "trim" itself?

I realize that eventually - assuming these catch on (which I think is unlikely for quite some time) - the prices will come down. And I'm all for technological advancement, etc. and I can see the value of this on a road bike. But to think that something like this is viable for a mountain bike? :rolleyes:

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
All these years I thought James Bond was cool but apparently I was wrong. Bummer. No not all of us have the money to drop on a $5000 drivetrain but some of us do. Just 15 years ago people thought that 3" of travel was a stupid gimmick for downhill bikes and look at us now. Damn I had a mechanical Hope disc brake on my bike in 1994 and people thought I was a Freak and there was No possible way that those stupid things would ever catch on. Technological advancement is the name of the game in this sport that we all Love so much, if it wasn't then we would all be riding rigid single speeds. Hey wait, that's what I ride! ;) I am building a Ten speed Niner Jet RDO now though.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts

You have to try it to understand. Your shifts are not like electronic shifts. And the batteries can go months without a charge. The advantage is really in the front shifting. You have to see it to believe it.
Crossers are using it without issues.
Everyone that has it says "it just works."

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.