Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bath in mud on my last ride so decided to give the 5-spot a good clean. I removed the shock for the first time since buying the bike and it caused me to wonder:

The bushes in the shock eyelets didn't/don't rotate - shoud they.

If they don't/shouldn't, does this mean that, as they are not bushed, the rockers and frame are sacrificial in the sense that the shock bushes will rotate against the inner faces of the frame brackets and rockers, and the frame and rockers take all the bearing loads from the shock mounting bolts.

Anyone had the frame or rocker bores ovalised.
Is there a torque specified for the shock bolts.

OT: Anyone else have a problem with spyware on this site. I get re-directed to a 'winfix' site every time I log on to mtbr. Doesn't happen on any other site I visit.

·
Registered
616 Posts
They are supposed to rotate in the shock eyes. If not you can put unwanted stress on the shock shaft bushes,side loads. try a drop of oil where they meet the shock and try to twist them free with pliers. The teeth on the pliers will mark up the alum. reducers if your not careful, maybe use a rag at first. I just grab em with vice grips when new and work em round till the spin some. When old they can get too loose and you get slop when lifting up on the seat, this is when you press out the old DU bushing in the 2 shock eyes with a vise using 10mm socket and a 15mm socket on the other side to facillitate its removal.http://www.stratosusa.com/main.html see tech support,service manuals..

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The aluminum reducers in the shock eyelets bottom against each other before pinching the shock eyelet itself. The bolt passing through the rocker or frame which compresses the reducers pinches the rockers against the reducers and basically eliminates any possibility of movement in this interface unless you ended up with the wrong reducers (unlikely, but Fox has sent me the wrong stuff before). The reducers can feel very tight to finger pressure but will still turn inside the eyelet on the bike.

Click the link below in my signature and you will find all the torque specs.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
The reducers often fit snugly into the shock eyelets. Most of mine...on my last three shocks... could not be turned by hand when fully inserted.

The bolt torque pinches the rocker and shock mounts to force the two reducers together and they act like a single shaft...fixed to the faces of the shock mount and rocker plates. The compression far exceeds the rotational friction when the shock compressess and changess angle.

Just look on your inside rocker faces and lower shock mounts and you should see that while they are marked, they aren't really worn... and you should not see any rotational wear marks.

The bushing inserts in the shock eyelets are impregnated with a dry lubricant. As they wear against the reducers, the debris itself provides all the lubrication necessary. You should not have to put grease or oil on the reducers or on the bushing inserts, unless you have some kind of problem. It's okay to grease the bolt...but probably not the threads since the nylock nut will need the friction.

EDIT: Ts types much faster than I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.