Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading lots of very mixed reviews on this question. At 235, is the DHXa really legitimate for me on an Xl spot? I would much rather take a weight penalty get the correct ride then to go with something that I am going to have to replace short term if it doesn't work out. I am reading of guys that are barely over 200 that can't get the sag correct.

Also, if I choose the DHXc, does that change my fork choice? I am looking at the Pike air u-turn, revelation or the 05 AM1. Thanks homers!

·
Registered
710 Posts
IdahoBiker said:
I am reading lots of very mixed reviews on this question. At 235, is the DHXa really legitimate for me on an Xl spot? I would much rather take a weight penalty get the correct ride then to go with something that I am going to have to replace short term if it doesn't work out. I am reading of guys that are barely over 200 that can't get the sag correct.

Also, if I choose the DHXc, does that change my fork choice? I am looking at the Pike air u-turn, revelation or the 05 AM1. Thanks homers!
DHX air has proven to not even be close to as reliable as the Coil. HEavy riders should always go with the coil. The added weight isn't going to kill someone who weighs 235, let alone even be noticable.

I've found the Coil can be set up to feel a lot like a progressive air shock as long as you turn the bottom out all the way up. I run mine in the rear with an Air fork up front, they feel very well balanced.

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I'm not so sure that the switch from RP3 to DHX-Air is an upgrade for bigger guys. Turner may offer the RP3 at no upcharge.

If the RP3 is an option that interests you, I can tell you that I run about 190 wearing a smile, and the shock sets up perfectly on my Spot with just under that pressure. I love the ride for primarily rugged xc riding. Not to say it will quite rival the DHX-Coil, but most posters on this board are sure not high on the DHX-Air. The smaller air chamber requires quite a bit higher pressure than the RP3.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts