Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've not had much luck with EXT locally and given the lack of communications I've experienced, sadly I've decided to give the EXT Stora v3 a miss. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback, preferably through experience between these two coil shocks. Thank you.

·
always licking the glass
2,495 Posts
Hello everyone. I've not had much luck with EXT locally and given the lack of communications I've experienced, sadly I've decided to give the EXT Stora v3 a miss. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback, preferably through experience between these two coil shocks. Thank you.
Sure I’ve ridden both. Im on a TTX coil now. Absolutely freaking love this shock. I got it last year when I couldn’t find any DHX2s.

Both are good tbh, but i find the ohlins more my jam than the Fox DHX2, but I wouldn’t be hesitant to ride either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
edit
K4izen, Can you please elaborate on your EXT experience? PM me if you prefer.

My frame likes to blow through the travel, although there's nothing in the linkage design analysis to suggest it's not suitable for a coil, it just has the trait of using all travel all the time.

I've been on a 2019 DHX2 Factory for over a year. 100 lb/in oversprung from Fox calculator. It took a while to setup and I'm very happy with it overall. Now it's on my spare bike, setup is the best it will ever get and it's a fun shock to ride, plows and skims rocky lines like a magic carpet ride and still loves to get air off little rock ramps and proper jumps. On a different frame design it could be perfection.

The range of adjustment is huge, you can easily go from too soft to too firm comp, too slow to too fast rebound and find the ideal spots in between.

My only concern was lack of bottom out control. With enough HSC it can be fully supportive on the bigger drops i'll do, but becomes harsher and spikey over rocky chattery lines. My favourite trails have both so it's not ideal but 'good enough'.

At 13 months, just out of warranty, the DHX2 lost oil and comp damping. I was able to refill and bleed it at home with no special equipment, pretty much a service without changing any seals, got another month of it then sent it to SolaSport/Fox, who warranty repaired it with a week turn around.

Recently got a Storia V3. I wanted the same or better performance as the DHX2, with HBC to control bottom out and let the HSC run more open. 2 months on 4 spring rates and it hasn't hit the spot. It has a couple of suspect noises too which ext dismisses in the manual as 'sound of performance' but it's the sound of aeration and an incomplete bleed to me. A few detailed emails to the rep have got no useful response, other than being told that most people find it gets harsh with more than 4 clicks of compression.

I'm not a beginner but not a pro, I know what I want out of the shock and bike, but can't always quantify or explain it properly, so was hoping to get some meaningful direction and proactive attempt to sort potential QC issues. Not sure what my next move is, try contact again, or just post the shock with a service form and expect to pay. Doesn't seem open to warranty inspection but I haven't pushed for it. Could contact an international rep but shouldn't have to.

·
always licking the glass
2,495 Posts
Can you please elaborate on your EXT experience? PM me if you prefer.

My frame likes to blow through the travel, although there's nothing in the linkage design analysis to suggest it's not suitable for a coil, it just has the trait of using all travel all the time.

I've been on a 2019 DHX2 Factory for over a year. 100 lb/in oversprung from Fox calculator. It took a while to setup and I'm very happy with it overall. Now it's on my spare bike, setup is the best it will ever get and it's a fun shock to ride, plows and skims rocky lines like a magic carpet ride and still loves to get air off little rock ramps and proper jumps. On a different frame design it could be perfection.

The range of adjustment is huge, you can easily go from too soft to too firm comp, too slow to too fast rebound and find the ideal spots in between.

My only concern was lack of bottom out control. With enough HSC it can be fully supportive on the bigger drops i'll do, but becomes harsher and spikey over rocky chattery lines. My favourite trails have both so it's not ideal but 'good enough'.

At 13 months, just out of warranty, the DHX2 lost oil and comp damping. I was able to refill and bleed it at home with no special equipment, pretty much a service without changing any seals, got another month of it then sent it to SolaSport/Fox, who warranty repaired it with a week turn around.

Recently got a Storia V3. I wanted the same or better performance as the DHX2, with HBC to control bottom out and let the HSC run more open. 2 months on 4 spring rates and it hasn't hit the spot. It has a couple of suspect noises too which ext dismisses in the manual as 'sound of performance' but it's the sound of aeration and an incomplete bleed to me. A few detailed emails to the rep have got no useful response, other than being told that most people find it gets harsh with more than 4 clicks of compression.

I'm not a beginner but not a pro, I know what I want out of the shock and bike, but can't always quantify or explain it properly, so was hoping to get some meaningful direction and proactive attempt to sort potential QC issues. Not sure what my next move is, try contact again, or just post the shock with a service form and expect to pay. Doesn't seem open to warranty inspection but I haven't pushed for it. Could contact an international rep but shouldn't have to.
I have zero experience on the EXT. My experience has been on the TTX and DHX2 for coils.

TTX is an Ohlins offerings. The EXT offers the Storia. Two completely different shocks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure I’ve ridden both. Im on a TTX coil now. Absolutely freaking love this shock. I got it last year when I couldn’t find any DHX2s.

Both are good tbh, but i find the ohlins more my jam than the Fox DHX2, but I wouldn’t be hesitant to ride either.
Thanks, much appreciated! Looking into the process now, I hope Australia has a local rep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have zero experience on the EXT. My experience has been on the TTX and DHX2 for coils.

TTX is an Ohlins offerings. The EXT offers the Storia. Two completely different shocks.
Yeah i get that mate, I should have been clearer, I was asking the OP about his EXT customer service experience, which put him off buying one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you please elaborate on your EXT experience? PM me if you prefer.

Nearly every review I’ve read indicated that the EXT is not quiet. Did you glue the washer and the bottom out bumper? Is performance not as expected and/or degraded in the period you’ve had the EXT?

Not shy with sharing my experience. And it’s honest feedback which should be valued. In summary: I had a few questions regarding the performance difference and also wasn’t very confident with filling out the order form. I got no confirmation whether I filled out the form correctly (again I was not certain) particularly about length and width even after I’ve measured. I just needed assurance that all is good or I’ve measured incorrectly. I also actually thought something happened to the local rep, and thought I hope the guy is ok maybe he’s having family issues and/or has had an accident. I ended up emailing EXT direct whom directed me elsewhere. Gloria from rideextreme gave me another email address whom also did not respond. In the end I’ve given up, hence this post.

I’m relatively new to shocks. I know enough from reading and watching review a rough idea of the differences in ride experience with coil and made my own decision, based on my riding style, that I want to proceed and give someone my money for some coil action. After some research I wanted EXT’s features, especially the HBC. But I just needed that extra assistance with communications, bot rocket science, that 1. I’ve completed the order form correctly with valid measurements and 2. That I’ve secured a spot to be next in line for the product. I had placed the order form on the 15th of this month. Had zero follow ups for two weeks and I made two attempts to get verification on my order. My prior engagements over email were fine though, turnaround was fair.

·
always licking the glass
2,495 Posts
Thanks, much appreciated! Looking into the process now, I hope Australia has a local rep!

Hope you find a dealer, mate!

The thing to know about the Ohlins is you may need to get it tuned to your liking (which any Ohlins dealer should do), but it was sooo worth it for me.

Both my bikes are full Ohlins (RXF36 m2 forks) and TTX coil and air shocks. When you find someone who can tune them to your liking (i tend to like light rebound tunes and firmer compression with stiff springs), the bike behaves predictably.

Prior to this, i was changing bikes all the time because I couldn’t get them to feel right. Now i spend more time riding with them than fiddling with what bike to get next. It didn’t matter whether it was Fox, Rockshox, or Push.

Ive had to get a stiffer spring for the rear though, because I’m riding harder :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hope you find a dealer, mate!

The thing to know about the Ohlins is you may need to get it tuned to your liking (which any Ohlins dealer should do), but it was sooo worth it for me.

Both my bikes are full Ohlins (RXF36 m2 forks) and TTX coil and air shocks. When you find someone who can tune them to your liking (i tend to like light rebound tunes and firmer compression with stiff springs), the bike behaves predictably.

Prior to this, i was changing bikes all the time because I couldn’t get them to feel right. Now i spend more time riding with them than fiddling with what bike to get next. It didn’t matter whether it was Fox, Rockshox, or Push.

Ive had to get a stiffer spring for the rear though, because I’m riding harder :)
Thanks, I will be getting in touch with these lot soon

I am getting better at tuning my Fox 38, I’m a light rider and found it to be too harsh both front and back. Front was easier to manage, I have pressure set to less than my recommended weight and I still nowhere using all the travel yet.

The rear which is managed by a DPX2 is nice on smooth stuff but it’s too harsh for my liking based on the trails I ride: fast on janky stuff. I want more control on the rear and I think the TTX will do that and put a smile on my face in the process.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve got my name down for the TTX, local business has been responsive about my enquiries and got my name down for next availability. They indicated usually best to leave it out of box unless dealing with a very light or a very heavy rider. Further tuning however can be done on next service.

·
Registered
387 Posts

There is quite a bit of noise on the EXT. I don't really mind it. The "click" is from a rebound to compression valve change (I think), or something along those lines. The "whoosh" they explain as their design leveraging the turbulent flow of the oil vs. trying to keep things laminar. Performance is stellar IME. When i get it serviced (probably should soon as it's well over 100 hrs), I do plan on reducing HSC as I think my tune is a bit more than I prefer.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Hey dude, Don't talk to EXT Italy, talk to the Aus rep Chris, he is extremely knowledgable and will get back to you always as fast as possible.

I've owned all 3 of the shocks you mentioned, albeit on different bikes, but the EXT is the go.

041 889 8889

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was between the TTX22m and EXT Storia recently. The main reason I went with the Ohlins is because I was able to get it tuned and serviced locally. The Ohlins was also considerably cheaper and the service interval is twice as long as the Storia.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was between the TTX22m and EXT Storia recently. The main reason I went with the Ohlins is because I was able to get it tuned and serviced locally. The Ohlins was also considerably cheaper and the service interval is twice as long as the Storia.
What shock did you have previously and on what frame? What are the performance differences for you after the TTX22M? Cheers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
TTX22M is the best shock I've ever ridden, I'm running recommended settings and it feels so balanced, controlled, supple but lots of support. With the DHX2 it feels harsher and bottoms out much easier which is a bad combination. For Fox I like the DPX2, Float X2 and DHX2 feel no better to me. The Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil and DVO Topaz/Jade all feel pretty good to me, a little better than the DPX2 if the leverage ratio is progressive enough, then the Ohlins TTX22M is on another level for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts