Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a fox rear coil shock but dont know what to get.... ilike the price of the Van R but have heard it is very limited adjustability. i dont really use any features of my float R that i have now so dont think i need any. also when deciding i was looking at jensonusa.com and they have 2010 Van R for 250$ the 7.5x2 comes in a bunch of different choices.... either 300 to 600 so 300,350,400,450,500,550,&600. what is best and what is this for?? rider weight??? thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,440 Posts
illwill88 said:
I want a fox rear coil shock but dont know what to get.... ilike the price of the Van R but have heard it is very limited adjustability. i dont really use any features of my float R that i have now so dont think i need any. also when deciding i was looking at jensonusa.com and they have 2010 Van R for 250$ the 7.5x2 comes in a bunch of different choices.... either 300 to 600 so 300,350,400,450,500,550,&600. what is best and what is this for?? rider weight??? thanks
Going from an air shock to a coil isn't that easy - calculating the right spring alone is an expensive chore. If the frame's leverage ratio / axle path was designed around an air shock adjustability will be needed. A Van R is ok if the bike was spec'd w/ such or custom tuned for the application. If you are set on a coil for whatever reason adjustability is almost a neccesity for proper performance.
 

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i want a coil so i dont have to worry about the air, it is always reliable, and i have just overall heard bad things about the float. here is a guy that has a dhx rear. and another guy i talked to called GT and asked and GT said that it is supposed t be only air but the proper sized coilover could work... and i am starting to see more and more ppl running rear coilovers on their Force's

here is one that i really like
 

Attachments

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
illwill88 said:
it says 414 for fox so 400lb spring. would be good right or should i go up to 450lbs???
I'd order the shock with the 400 myself, but I'd think about also buying a 450 just for the heck of it and see which works better, they're not very expensive. For my DHX on my Heckler I found the recommended 450 spring a bit too much, went with the 400, even experimented with a 350 that I had. There's some variance in their true rating, too, so sometimes it's a bit of the luck of the draw sort of thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,843 Posts
I agree the DHX would be the better choice, since you're going from an air shock - so the boost valve, bottom-out and Propedal adjustments will allow you to dial in each part of the suspension travel.

Like was said, even after using a spring calculator, be prepared to swap springs until you get the right sag/shock action/travel on the bike and using the adjusters to get it "perfect", rather than messing with the adjustments to compensate for too stiff or soft a spring (I've been there).
 

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know hte dhx is good but i wish i could find one for cheaper on ebay in a 7.5 x 2 size because they are so expensive retail.... i like the retail price a lot better on th VAN R.... i dont think i would need any of those adjustments....i just want something good that wont give me problems like an air shock.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
illwill88 said:
so we abviously weigh close to each other. me at 135
Not at all, I weigh 200 plus gear. All the details make determine the difference, not just the spring rating alone.

PS You sure you used the calculator correctly? Might want to post up the details of your bike and what you entered to have someone double check it for you....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
As the other posters stated above, you may very well need at least some of the adjustability of the DHX to prevent a coil over from excessive bottoming through the DHX's adjustable bottom out resistance. I don't know the curve of the GT suspension but I assume it is regressive (I think the right term) at the end of travel because air shocks inherently have more compression at the end of stroke due to the reduced air chamber size aka increased air pressure.

If your suspension path indeed is designed to compensate for this increase in pressure in an air shock than the straight up van r may suck and be worse than your airshock. On the DHX you can adjust the resistance at the end of travel to better mirror the increased bottom out resistance of the air shock.

You could also by a Van and get it pushed but that would cost more money as well.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
The GT Force suspension has a basic monopivot leverage rate and although mildly falling rate to work with air, it should be OK for a basic rebound only adjustable Van-R shock. It's not much different in leverage than the original late '90's Heckler/Superlight leverage and they worked fine with coil Vanilla-R shocks.

Sure more adjustable compression is desirable for advanced riders. The Van-R has a moderate amount of compression damping, more or less OK for most bikes and strong riders.

The Independent-Drive pedaling efficiency magic is done by moving the BB with separate links and the pedal effects doesn't change the suspension shock leverage significantly.
 

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
derby said:
The GT Force suspension has a basic monopivot leverage rate and although mildly falling rate to work with air, it should be OK for a basic rebound only adjustable Van-R shock. It's not much different in leverage than the original late '90's Heckler/Superlight leverage and they worked fine with coil Vanilla-R shocks.

Sure more adjustable compression is desirable for advanced riders. The Van-R has a moderate amount of compression damping, more or less OK for most bikes and strong riders.

The Independent-Drive pedaling efficiency magic is done by moving the BB with separate links and the pedal effects doesn't change the suspension shock leverage significantly.
thank your u have just helped my decision tremendously..... i now want the VAN R. and if for some reason it doesnt work.... i will make sure that everyone on mtbr gets first dibs at it before it goes on ebay. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,440 Posts
LDH said:
THe IFP air valve comes in handy for tuning and service,find a dhx 3,4 or 5 instead of the Van r.
He's sold on the cheap. His only complaint is air shocks give him problems - wait till you try and tune a Van R coil ... oh wait theres nothing you can tune pedal bob, bottom out...
 

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well ill try to look while im saving up but i swear no one sells 7.5 x 2 dhx on ebay... and im pretty sure i did the calculator right. i weight 135lbs, my bike has a 2 inch stroke and 6 inches of rear wheel travel... someone double check please thanks
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
keen said:
He's sold on the cheap. His only complaint is air shocks give him problems - wait till you try and tune a Van R coil ... oh wait theres nothing you can tune pedal bob, bottom out...
GT Force doesn't have a pedal bob problem. I've ridden one. It's very stable and smooth riding with a good shock even when standing and pedaling hard with propedal off using an RP23. Coil with rebound adjust should be very nice on that bike.

If he want's more tuning control, then get the Van-R a PUSH Industries MX tune :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
illwill88 said:
well ill try to look while im saving up but i swear no one sells 7.5 x 2 dhx on ebay... and im pretty sure i did the calculator right. i weight 135lbs, my bike has a 2 inch stroke and 6 inches of rear wheel travel... someone double check please thanks
Since you ran the TF Tuned calculator, I ran the Fox, which is a bit different; has a few more things to tweak/assume, but doesn't offer differing results for suspension type like the TF Tuned. I see you used the 33% sag setting, fwiw the 28% sag setting it offers came up with a 442 # calculation.

I ran it at the 135 you mention (Fox specifies total riding weight), but you could try higher weights (especially if you're growing). Fox has a rear bias setting, nominally 60% so I used that for three different sag settings, and a suggestion of 70% for dh so did that with the dh type sag. It also assumes one turn of preload (and a 60% end coil effect estimate).

25% sag, it calculated a 485 # spring, suggested you order a 500 and estimated 23.1% sag with the recommended spring.
28% sag, calc'd 433, recommended 400, sag 29.1%
33% sag, calc'd 368, recommended 350, sag 33.5%

Running 33% sag and 70% rear bias, calc'd 429, recommended 400, sag 34.2%

You might consider what sag you want to run at...
 

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i like it a little squishy but with the GT IDRIVE and how the bottom bracket is set up i dont have to worry about much pedal bob if at all any....correct?? im kinda noobish with frame designs. but anyway i dont want it stiff... so i guess u can say i like to know i have suspension in the rear while riding slow as well as fast i want it to work well. i ride very agressive AM and Jump a ton at one of my friends house which he has about 30 jumps from a 5 footer to a 19 footer. so what would u suggest the sag i should run? thanks for all your help!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top