Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey look, it's another annoying PUSH question!

So, I'm looking at getting a new '04 bike with a Vanilla RC. I'd like to kick up the performance a bit, so I'm looking at 2 options: sell the brand new RC and buy a DHX, or send the RC to PUSH industries and have them work their magic. I've done some searches and came up with one comparison saying they felt 'similar' at a given setting, but I would be interested if anyone has a more thorough comparison (feel free to flame me if I should have looked harder, but I didn't really find much in the way of direct comparison).

I'm not really looking for a cost/benefit analysis at this point, just curious as to whether anyone has directly compared the two on the same frame, and which they liked better, and the what differences in feel between the two are.

Many thanks,

Greg

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I haven't directly compared the two on my frame but I'd recommend you do the PUSH'd Vanilla RC for the following reasons:

- the PUSH'd Vanilla RC will be custom valved to your weight, bike & style. The DHX is adjustable but is still valved towards the generic rider
- the PUSH will be a bit lighter
- the DHX is a sweet shock but a PITA to get dialed in because of all the adjustments
- the PUSH will be cheaper (yeah, I know you aren't concerned about the economics, but a buck's a buck)
- the owner of PUSH uses a PUSH'd Vanilla and he can use anything he wants, including a PUSH'd DHX. That tells you something.

I have a DHX & love it, but it's going to either get PUSH'd or replaced with a PUSH Vanilla RC shortly.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, thank you very much for the advice. There may actually be some clearance issues on my frame with the DHX-5, which I've posted on the DH/FR board, so it may be a moot point anyway. Heck, I might as well ask here too. If anyone knows FOR SURE if a DHX-5 will fit on an '04 Shore, please let me know!

I don't mind the finicky setup of the DHX, I kind of like playing around with that kind of stuff (I also enjoy the maintenance on my bikes, I'm a loser that way...nothing I like better than the smell of orange degreaser :p ). Just exploring my options right now. I am actually concerned about the economics, but that will depend on how much I would sell a brand-new Vanilla RC for vs. the performance of the PUSH'd RC vs. the DHX. I just wanted to look strictly at the performance side of things here, and crunch the numbers and make a judgement call afterwards.\

Thanks again! It's good to know that the owner of PUSH (Darren, is it?) prefers a PUSH'd RC over a PUSH'd DHX, because if I got the DHX, I'd probably send it to them when it came time to getting it maintained. Maybe I'll send PUSH an email as well, since I'll be sending them my business one way or the other at some point....

Cheers,

Greg

·
Registered
297 Posts
For what its worth , I just got a Pushed RC , with low milage , (off Ebay for 86usd.)
It feels so much better than the stock RC it replaced(2003 7" Stinky Dee) , even though it wasnt valved for me , that I cant imagine a DHX to be any "better".
I cant really describe why or how it feels better , but it just does.
Cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Push the RC

I had a PUSH'd vanilla on one bike and then I sold the frame but kept the shock. Then I bought a Heckler with the DHX on it. When the DHX developed it's popping sound and had to go back to Fox for warranty issues I threw the Push'd vanilla on for some ride time. At first I thought it would be taking a step backwards but overall they rode very similar. However, it took me a while to get the DHX to feel that good and the vanilla was that good straight from PUSH. They really do a great job with their upgrade service and it makes all the difference on a single pivot bike like the Heckler. If I was in your position I would definately send the vanilla to PUSH and not think twice. Easier and probably cheaper too. Hope this helped and if you have any specific ???'s let me know.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks again for all the great advice. Just to let you know, I asked the guys at PUSH about their using a Vanilla RC as opposed to a DHX (there are actually 2 of them running PUSH'd RC's).

Just FYI, he said that they are using the RC on 6" trail bikes that do not need the 'position sensitive part of the DHX'. He did recommend the DHX for bikes that are harder on the shock or need a position sensitive shock. Dedicated FR machines would fall into this category.

Also, the weight difference between the RC and the DHX is 3 oz...that could be a factor, or in my case...not (44-46 lb bike +/- 3 oz doesn't count).

Having said all that, I'll still probably just stick with the RC. Partially because it's cheaper, but mostly because it's just easier, and I'll still end up with an amazing shock.

Thanks again,

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.