Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone running their DHX with the air valve pointing down? While I had the shock off to replace the 400lb stock spring (who uses a 400lb spring?) I decided to try mounting it "upside down". It makes the air valve much easier to get to but put the PP adj at the bottom. Not a big deal for me as previously I set the PP once and didn't change it but usually check the air every couple of rides. Everything cleared the frame fine in this orientation.

Is there a reason I shouldn't run the shock like this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you cycle the shock through it's travel, when you checked for clearence? I think the shock rotates a little bit forward when the linkage is compressed.

If it clears, it's probably better to have the reservoir at the bottom. (Less unsprung weight?)

Btw, my frame will also have a 400lbs spring...
How heavy are you, and what spring will you get?

I'm about 70-75Kg (155-165Lbs) Do you think I will need a firmer spring?
(For general freeriding stuff... I plan to ride everything from trailriding to DH runs.)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Which frame are you mounting it in? This will determine the leverage ratio and what spring will be necessary for your weight. I know that for the RFX (leverage ratio of 3:1), that a 500lb spring is what is rated for a 155lb rider (so I'm told). Hope this helps

Bryan

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gogge said:
Did you cycle the shock through it's travel, when you checked for clearence? I think the shock rotates a little bit forward when the linkage is compressed.

If it clears, it's probably better to have the reservoir at the bottom. (Less unsprung weight?)
I did check the clearance - on the 6 pack the shock rotates forward only very slightly and has atleast 1/4" of clearance when compressed to the bumper.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Renegade said:
it will look strange, and all your peeps will make fun of you. The social stigma may be traumatizing. But no one should tell you how to build up your bike!
;)
Most likely:rolleyes: If I run it like that I will have to find a new location to hang my nuts!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I'm getting a 6-pack!
Can't wait! Hopefully in a week! :D :cool:

Guess I'll have to score a 500lbs spring.

I was kind of expecting it, though. I had a 6" Bullit a couple years ago, with a 450lbs. Was not sure if the same applied to the 'pack, since it has linkages and possibly (hopefully)rising rates...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Snagging the cables on the seat binder is an issue. A Gravity Dropper post lets you run a low profile bolt-clamp with no snaggy parts sticking out. Otherwise do what Mani_Utah did and zip tie the cables to the seat tube. That looked pretty clean and he said they didn't kink too badly at full squish.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Renegade said:
SSINGA, you DID order a gravity dropper seatpost and an E13 chainguide, didn't you? :rolleyes:
Uhhhh no....I thought you would get me one of each and one of those Hopey thingies TS has on his as a Welcome to the "Turner club" gift!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.