Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What shock would you guys pick to put on a FR/DH Rig.

Its going on a Transition Gran Mal, very similiar design to the Devinci Ollie/Wilson, or the Turner Highline.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
SHAHEEB said:
What shock would you guys pick to put on a FR/DH Rig.

Its going on a Transition Gran Mal, very similiar design to the Devinci Ollie/Wilson, or the Turner Highline.

Thanks for the help.
DHX 5.0 coil Incredible shock.

I suggest it because its a proven winner. They have also proven to be incredibly reliable. BOTH of the bike shops here in town have not seen a single one come back in for repair. They sell a lot of them on their bikes too.

5th element shocks are too tempermental IMO. They are well designed, but often come with too many munfacturing defects. Some people get lucky with a good one while others get the shaft with complete lemons.

Revox and Roco have not been out long enough to be proven. Most likely excellent shocks, but I would wait a while before buying one while they work any bugs out.

The cane creek DB should have the best damping system you can buy for a bike. Beware, it might make the fork feel like total harsh trash. They are rediculously expensive and not proven.

Swinger 6 way shocks are really good and fairly reliable. Consensus is that they are similar to the 5th but more reliable and with better customer service. I personally don't care for ANY stable platform shock.

DHX is still hard to beat. You get both bottom out resistance AND super uber doober gooper smooth plush ride that sticks like fly paper. It's very dificult to get SPV at or near the same tuning zone. On top of that the DHX has on the fly anti bob control with the propedal knob. This makes it easy to adjust it on the trail with just your hands. SPV shocks require a pump to do this.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I second the DHX coil

Mahalo and Happy holidays Rob!!!

The new 'zocchi rear shock sounds to be better for DH racing and shuttling (early reports only), but not as good for FR'ing since it doesn't really have a pedal platform built in. As a result, it's supposedly lively / super supple for small bumps and is smooth through it's travel with a nice bottom out feature, but isn't ideal for pedalling. I think Photo John posted something about this shock a while ago......

I think the Manitou's have come a long way and it'll be interesting to hear more about the Revox, but I've yet to see anything concrete on those.

Romics - man those things really ride nice when they're not blowing up on people. If they were more reliable, I think this shock would be awesome. It seems to be hit and miss though depending on who you speak with. FM had his in the shop 2 or 3 times for rebuilds and I've had other buddies who haven't had any issues with theirs.

The DHX coil that my bro's have on their VPF's, Yeti ASX and Coiler Primo's are sweet and versatile due to the adjustments. They adjust the pedal platform for the climb and then notch it back for the descents. For rolly stuff, they pop it into a middle zone. None of them have had any issues with them which is one of my top priorities for shocks/forks. This is the shock I plan to get on my Gran Mal as well.....if the regular size frame fits me.

Chers,
EB

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
I say Swinger 6 way. Ultra reliable, easy to set up and maintain, and handsdown the best customer service in the industry if a problem ever does arise. Even the 4way is a good bet. How much tuning capability does the average person really need anyway?

Second, the Fox. It's aight I suppose.

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but alot of people have been raving about the new Cane Creek Double Barrel. Of course everything is just hearsay, but it sounds promising.

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
SpawningGround said:
mattsavage said:
Second, the Fox. It's aight I suppose.

We all know the DHX sucks and the swinger is better because it has an extra number! 6 way is clearly better than 5way. Duh!

The Fox kills the swinger in terms of ease of setup, smoothness, and gnarness.
Well... That's like... Your opinion... Man.

I say go with the 4way then. 4 comes before 5, ha ha! One less adjustment to misadjust and screw up your suspension!

...And don't even go 3.0 cause we both know that's just pointless...

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
I swear... I don't know how you guys do it. Well, I guess it isn't that hard but I find my preload adjust enough on my DJ3 and I ride hardtail... I just want the rebound adjust. Everyone knows bigger is better. 6 way.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,873 Posts
if your choices are limited to the ones you've listed, get the DHX. If not, put the swinger 4-2 in the mix over the 6-way, and your choices are between the DHX and 4-way. At that point it's a matter of personal preference and price.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Cane Creek Double Barrel.

If you don't mind spending the money go with the Cane Creek Double Barrel. As for the statement, " it's not proven". UMMMM, I think Ohlins has been running this shock in Formula one, yes the Double Barrel design as it exist, Off Road Truck racing, Rally Car, Snowmobile, and SuperBike. An extensive track record that is quite proven. Ohlins is not going to put their name on something that is going to give them a bad reputation in the world of suspension. That would be like Ferrari, putting their name on a Ford Focus. not only would it be silly, Ferrari would lose value and credibility. So, I would say it's quite proven. Your buying the name behind the product in most situations anyway. I would say Ohlins is a pretty big name to consider.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
aappling72 said:
If you don't mind spending the money go with the Cane Creek Double Barrel. As for the statement, " it's not proven". UMMMM, I think Ohlins has been running this shock in Formula one, yes the Double Barrel design as it exist, Off Road Truck racing, Rally Car, Snowmobile, and SuperBike. An extensive track record that is quite proven. Ohlins is not going to put their name on something that is going to give them a bad reputation in the world of suspension. That would be like Ferrari, putting their name on a Ford Focus. not only would it be silly, Ferrari would lose value and credibility. So, I would say it's quite proven. Your buying the name behind the product in most situations anyway. I would say Ohlins is a pretty big name to consider.
Just because something was designed well doesn't mean there won't be production flaws.

You are correct, the "design" has been proven.

You are very incorrect in assuming the "Cane Creek implementation" of said design is proven.

I'm not trying to diss the shock at all, and it may well be the best thing to ever come out. What is unknown is the reliability and if there were any production flaws. Just because they've had years to perfect a CAR suspension doesn't mean they have a 100% chance at getting a new product right the first time.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
SpawningGround said:
Just because something was designed well doesn't mean there won't be production flaws.

You are correct, the "design" has been proven.

You are very incorrect in assuming the "Cane Creek implementation" of said design is proven.

I'm not trying to diss the shock at all, and it may well be the best thing to ever come out. What is unknown is the reliability and if there were any production flaws. Just because they've had years to perfect a CAR suspension doesn't mean they have a 100% chance at getting a new product right the first time.
I understand your hesitancy of a new product that often times can be flawed, but this isn't that new of a product. Ohlins has been using this on their Formula one cars for a while now. It wasn't just developed by Cane Creek. Cane Creek was chosen to market to the MTB world this product that Ohlins has been using in other high performance sports becuase the Ohlins US headquarters is a stones throw away from the Cane Creek facility. That is the reason Ohlins chose them to get into the MTB market with design that they have been using on a much larger scale. The TTX40 damper is approx. $3,000 per damper and was initially greeted with the same skepticsm due to the unbelief that the shock could be so tuneable for varying terrain. After a while of race teams using the product, they were able to do away with their multiple valved shocks and utilize the TTX40 for all tracks and/or race courses. With that in mind testing began to make a smaller version for Formula one cars, which Cane Creek now makes for Ohlins and the same shock that goes on the F1 cars is the exact same shock with different stroke that is on my bike. In fact, the shock is being called, iin house, by Ohlins the Double Barrel. So, You have not been alone in the history of this suspension design to question it's ability in a positive and constructive manner, of course. So, as soon as you can get one the force will pull you over to the dark side. :D JK!! Anyway, I highly encourage you to try to check it out, and with your knowledge of the technical side, I'm sure will be able to give a much more involved description than I. Have a good one man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.