Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DHX Coil question

661 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Locotiki 
#1 ·
I've used the search and came up empty but can anyone point me to a thread that gives a starting point for set up on a DHX coil? I've been riding my RFX for a few months now without ever having made any adjustments. I hit maybe a 4' drop last night and bottomed it out pretty badly. I'm sure if it is set up properly it wouldn't have done that. Thanks.

#2 ·
There's a bunch of setup posts but I can't think of one to search on so...

Breifly:
-Set your sag, making sure you don't need more than 3 turns on the preload collar. Most ppl like 30% sag.

- Deflate the Boost Valve and then turn the large blue Bottom Out adjster knob to about halfway or maybe a bit more if you are heavy and/or like a firmer ride and firmer bottom-out. It is MUCH easier to turn the BO knob if the shock is deflated. Also whenever you change the BO the chamber volume changes so the BV pressure changes with it...thus it's best to reset the pressure anyway.

- Reinflate the BV to an initial setting of around 120-135psi if you like a stronger platform and/or are heavier go for the higher end of that range. 150PSI tends to be too much for most people's tastes.

- Set the small blue ProPedal knob to 5-7 clicks from full out...and tune to taste on the ride. The BV sets the minimum PP effectiveness so when you add more BV pressure the PP slides up with it.

- Set the red Rebound knob to taste... some like a slower rebound some like it faster. It depends on your terrain and style. I ride with a slower rebound because I do a lot of rock crawling and short steep chutes w/ little runout (low speed manuvering) faster riding would do better with a faster rebound.

*Caution* Never compress or cycle the shock unless the BV has at least 75-80psi in it or you can damage the shock in a way that only FOX or Push can repair.

#3 ·
Hey Zilla, I changed the BV to 135 and I'm running pretty much the settings you suggest and the suspension felt real nice on our ride last night, not harsh and the bike felt more balanced front to rear.

I'm running a 600 lb spring at 200 even and it seems fine so far although several here recommended a 650 spring, guess I won't know till I take it off a few good sized drops but I'm not feeling any wallowing and the collar is about halfway down the threads.

#5 · (Edited)
RR,

From what I've read the DHX has a pretty broad range of useable spring rates for any given person. El Ching is running ~700# as big as he is and as hard as he rides that's pretty amazing. I ran it @ 650 and it did not feel particularly compromised compared to my 800# spring.... ===>It does not help that FOX allows a 15% variance of actual spring rate vs. what the spring is marked for.

As my fitness and skill changed (improved?...NAAAH!) I found it tended to slide past the midstroke too quickly when dropping off the backside toaster sized rocks. I increased the BO to 3/4 and that seemed to ramp up the midstroke slightly...or bring the bottom out resistance in faster. Either way I'm liking it more this way.

As I'm pounding harder now with my RFX I think I'm noticing the high-speed and big hit spikyness some have talked about. The end stroke seems harsh on a 5' drop even w/ the BO at halfway. Either that or UGI is just working on a justification for a trip to Push or AVY.

#6 ·
Hey Loco,

I actually called Turner, and they were real helpfull in giving me some hints based on my style and weight. You may want to give em a call.

Have you been back to Highland? Any thoughts? How did the RFX perform? Do you reccomend a triple?

Let me know if you can make it out to Lynn Woods. There is a group of us that go every Sunday morning and Tuesday nite. (Crazy Fred being one of em) 6 Six packs in total and 2 Intense 6.6's. Great for trying diff set ups etc. P.S. The Bow Ridge has been re-connected. Shhhhhhh

Best,
M.

#7 ·
MBN said:
Hey Loco,

I actually called Turner, and they were real helpfull in giving me some hints based on my style and weight. You may want to give em a call.

Have you been back to Highland? Any thoughts? How did the RFX perform? Do you reccomend a triple?

Let me know if you can make it out to Lynn Woods. There is a group of us that go every Sunday morning and Tuesday nite. (Crazy Fred being one of em) 6 Six packs in total and 2 Intense 6.6's. Great for trying diff set ups etc. P.S. The Bow Ridge has been re-connected. Shhhhhhh

Best,
M.
That's sweet about Bow Ridge.
I'm going to Highland on Saturday. I haven't had time to get up there since that one time I rode it before it opened. I'll report back but from what I've been hearing you can run anything there. People are going off on hardtails as well as full on DH rigs. I'm not (yet) a very aggressive rider so my Z1 FR will serve me well there. I guess it would depend on how hard you ride. Dual Crown couldn't heart but I don't think anyone would need one just for that. Just my opinion though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.