Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DHX 5.0 Coil on my Quake. Yes, the suspension setup is ok, no bottoming out, little harsh on small high speed bumps (but then, pedaling is efficient). But I don't really understand how things work. What I mean is, can anybody tell me how is the shock influenced with goin' up with pressure? How is increased pressure in Boost Valve affecting rebound and compression?

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Are you riding it with the Propedal on? Try turning it off and also the bottom out setting off. Not sure what sag you are getting, but try a lighter spring if you are not getting 30% or more sag (or whatever is supposed to be for that frame).

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Increasing the pressure in the boost valve increases the compression damping, meaning it slows the compression. Check out Fox's website, they have the manual and it explains every adjustment in detail. Hell, I had to check it for the min pressure in the boost valve. Just click here and pick the appropriate year. Seriously, great comprehensive info and tuning recommendations.

I would recommend reducing the pressure in the boost valve in 10psi increments until it feels good, as long as you don't go under 125psi, thats the minimum setting and actuating the shock with pressure lower than that can damage the damper. Once you get in the ballpark you can dial it in perfect. Adjusting the propedal can have an impact on the compression circuit too so make sure it is set where you want it before you start messing with pressures. If you have to adjust it on a ride it's not a disaster but it can throw it out of whack a little. As for the bottom out, if your getting full travel and not bottoming too hard I wouldn't mess with it. That is my absolute favorite adjustment on this shock because I can get the compression dialed in and then open the bottom out for DH days and dial it in for FR days, it has little to no affect on small to mid size bumps IME.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quakes with IPC are suppose to be SAG sensitive, but preload is fine (around 30%). So I'll leave the adjusters alone and try to play with the pressure to see what happens. As Clutch said, pressure increase slows things down and Quake could be more "lively". If that's a word... Thanks guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.