Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Heckler 4(03-07) with a PUSH tuned RP3 on it currently.
I am 6'3" with a XL frame and approx. 230lbs
From looking at the other forums it seems that a coil and Hecklers make for a good combination.
My current problems arise from the trade off of small bump compliance to mid-stroke blow through.(To get good small bump comp. I have to run lower psi, but this then compromise mid stroke performance)

I understand that this is an inherited issue with the falling shock rate of the frame design. I am wondering if the DHX 5.0 or RC4 can be set up appropriately to address this.

Which would perform better for this frame?

Can these shocks be set up progressively enough to reduce mid-stroke wallow without compromising small bump compliance?
Or should I just cut my losses and move on to a Butcher, Nomad or Enduro?
Thanks for the Help

PS anyone have much experience tuning the above mentioned shocks or FOX 36 dampers (adjusting shim stacks etc) It appears to me that this is very common place in the Moto world yet almost unheard of in MTB(except for PUSH ind. TFT, Avalanche and a few others)

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The DHX 4.0 and 5.0 are really awesome for the Heckler. They seem to be perfectly tuned for single pivot bikes. I really didn't like the DHX coil on the VPP2 nomads that I owned but for the Heckler - awesome. I'd probably find a cheap one on ebay and send it to PUSH for the full MX tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

had the same thoughts too. I ride a 2011 heckler with a stock rp23. Not bad, but I purchased a DHX 4.0 for cheap and sent it to TF-Tuned last week for the factory tuning. Will receive it this weekend and will post how it rides/works!

Greets

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.