Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dhx-c i took off a Turner 6 pack 3 months ago. It was working fine at the time. It sat on my workbench. I went to put it back on it has no rebound dampening, It rebounds so forcefully that it actually knocks at the top of the stroke. Also when you compress it travels the first 1/2 inch of stroke with little resistence then it is noticably stiffer:confused:

Could it have sat to long on its side and damaged the internals?:confused:

Chris

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Interesting. I had a very low use DHX coil that was working perfectly on a Bullit when I pulled it off. It didn't sit as long as yours, maybe only a month. In fact it had a relatively fresh service on it from Fox because of the original DHX "clunk" in the piggyback that occured when the shock was new. I had a pair of these shocks in different lengths and never warmed up to the slight mid-stoke harshness that I felt they produced in the Bullit. keen, who posts here frequently bought one of these shocks and said the shock immediately had a malfunction that may have been similar to yours...maybe he can post to compare symptoms.

I cannot imagine how a relatively short period of inactivity would cause a malfunction...maybe on a shock left for an extremely long period of time out in the elements perhaps. I certainly don't have any insight on how or why a shock might do this. Darren would probably be a good source. One would think this was as much coincidence as anything, but maybe not.

wmbarace, how old is your DHX and about how much use do you think the shock has on it? That one of mine had very little use and even a fresh service, but I don't know if there's any real comparison here. It was working fine...and then wasn't working fine after sitting. It would be interesting to know if inactivity affects a shock to any degree, and if so, how long and what kind of storage helps or hurts a shock. I've experienced "negelcted shock" syndrome in an old Cane Creek AD10, but geez, in that case the shock had been sitting in a hot/cold storage building for a matter of years after being used for years before that, so I wasn't shocked...pun intended.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Yikes. did you check the BV pressure? If there's no pressure in the BV the shock will go tits up if it's used.

On the bright side now you have an excuse to to get it Pushed.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Good point on checking pressure, Zilla. I didn't even mention it because I take it for granted that people will know this. However, as an example, a young man who works at our shop had recently purchased a Nomad. I saw him riding it out at our local trail and asked him what pressures he was running in the DHXA mounted on it. He had no idea of what pressure if any was in the BV chamber. Fortunately one of the other guys had aired it up. This young man is by no means retarded, but I forget that many don't have a clue about how technical some of these suspension components can be. BTW, I'm quite positive that in keen's situation this wasn't the case.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
wmbarace, I had the EXACT problem a few months ago. Mine was on a 5-pack and was only noticable on the rebound as well. Originally I thought it was a loose pivot since there was no noise associated with the "sensation". I narrowed it to the shock by putting my dhx air on and the issue was gone.

In addition to the strange rebound feeling, the rebound adjuster only worked on occasion. When I reached full fast on the dial it went full slow. I could then slow it down a few clicks and cycle the shock a few times and it would work fine in all positions. This is when I had enough and decided to send it back for work. It came back fine.:thumbsup: As to what the problem was, I think I recall the tech saying that I needed a new bushing somewhere. :rolleyes:

I never had the issue of the first part of the stroke feeling weak on the Coil. I did however have that exact issue on the air.

I will go dig out my repair tag and see what it was that they replaced.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zilla - Plenty of air in the BO chamber.

TNC - Shock is newer.I bought the frame used but it was MINT. I had 20 outings of my own on it. I take good care of my stuff.

be350ka - It feels EXACTLY like a very loose pivot would feel when it tops out and when you go throught the initial travel as I indicated in the forst post.

I read up on the DHX clunk and I do not think it is that. I know things were in good working order when I took the old girl off.......

I also never really warmed up to this shock. It was not terrible, I am not a big air / frequent flyer. I like to ride a stiffer suspension set up. I removed the original DHX-C to replace with an RP3. I know the leverage ratio is border line but the ride is terrific when you get the pressure right and the weight savings is nice.

I have an older RP3 to send off to Push or Fox for a rebuild. I guess it wil have comany.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DHX-C Problem

be350ka - It sounds the same as my DHX-C on my Nomad. What did your repair cost you?

I got th DHX-C off a guy on the MTBR boars who claimed it was only used a few times. That might be the case as it looked new.

The initial part of the stroke (25%), seemed to have excess stiction, then it would release and work as normal. When riding you would notice as the shock loaded and unloaded, it really felt like worn DU bushings or reducers. I changed the DU bushing so that was not the problem and the reduces when transferred to my DHX-A work just fine. So the problem is the shock.

I am in the same boat on looking possibly to have the shock repaired and possibly PUSH'd at the same time.

I have also heard of a local guy (Vancouver, BC area) that does something similar with Fox shocks as push.

The other option I have is to wait another month, then a local repair shop (OGC) will take over a the Canadian service centre from FOX products. Not a bad idea but if I am spending the money to fix the shock I might as well get it tuned from my bike and riding style.

Comments.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
rideitall said:
be350ka - It sounds the same as my DHX-C on my Nomad. What did your repair cost you?

I got th DHX-C off a guy on the MTBR boars who claimed it was only used a few times. That might be the case as it looked new.

The initial part of the stroke (25%), seemed to have excess stiction, then it would release and work as normal. When riding you would notice as the shock loaded and unloaded, it really felt like worn DU bushings or reducers. I changed the DU bushing so that was not the problem and the reduces when transferred to my DHX-A work just fine. So the problem is the shock.

I am in the same boat on looking possibly to have the shock repaired and possibly PUSH'd at the same time.

I have also heard of a local guy (Vancouver, BC area) that does something similar with Fox shocks as push.

The other option I have is to wait another month, then a local repair shop (OGC) will take over a the Canadian service centre from FOX products. Not a bad idea but if I am spending the money to fix the shock I might as well get it tuned from my bike and riding style.

Comments.
Mine didnt cost me anything since it was still under warranty. I will tell you this though. If I were to be in your shoes I would just send it to Push without giving it a second thought. Getting your shock tuned to you and your bike would be the best solution I could think or. Kinda like killing two birds with one stone.

Now, all I have to do is get my coil Pushed.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.