Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Transition Covert with a DHX-Air shock. I have read the reviews, and I know that some people are unsatisfied with the performance of this shock. What I am looking for, is some input from the people who have successfully set up this shock, and are satisfied with its performance. I weigh about 165lbs and these are my issues:
-There is no "lock out" on this shock, and I seem to get little change with the pro-pedal from "max" to "min".
-I have tried to set the sag, and seem to get about the same sag, wether the psi is at 150, or it is at 200.
-I have also adjusted the smaller reseviors psi up and down 50psi or more and also get little change in the pro-pedal dampening, and sag.

So... does anyone have any tips, or tricks to this shock?

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
Wish I could help, but I have mostly the same experiences as you with my DHX4 on my reign.
It's not really bad, but would be better if it had a little more mid stroke support, the common complaint.
I'm considering the air canister volume reducing sleeves others are performing on RP23's, just haven't had the time to experiment. & I'm not sure how to air down this shock without disturbing the floating piston position.
Maybe you want to be the Guinea pig?

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
DRAKETHOMAS said:
Shimming the midvalve works wonders on these.You can take resi pressure down to about 125psi with no leaks or burps past the IFP.
Thank you Drake. Do I need to air down both the main & The boost chamber?
What size shim?
I'm normally a do it yourself guy, but going to be down a few weeks w/hernia repair, maybe send it in to you? Any other tunes you perform on this shock?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry cant reveal shims or size, tookawhile for this, i do however have numerous tunes on file, for a variety of rider weights and profiles which allow for me to tune a damper near perfectly for you.I can tune these pretty much 3 ways, hucker/jumper( high shaftspeeds) racer with flowing rider style, jumps but knows how to land transitions the right way, and casual out to have a good time, but wants better performancethan stock w/o affecting performance from low speed induced pedal bob, nor mid stroke blow through , allowing use of too much travel.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I understand completely, propriety knowledge is worth a lot. I'm self employed & sell mine as well.
So, with that in mind, I'm very interested in sending my shock in to you, will be sometime late next week.
Info on your site for this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts