1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a proud owner of 575 with DHX Air on the back,
I have an option to get RP23 in a bargin price,

I wonder if there is a difference between the two?
What is better for my ride:
Ride style - Trail ride, XC and sometimes agresive ride
Weight 220 Pound (103 Kg) on 191cm (6 2)

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Dan

·
Registered
796 Posts
I understand from reading many threads on here that the Dhx air has a smaller air sleeve causing it to ride lower in the stroke and not allowing full travel for us heavier ( 200 + lbs. ) riders. I'm 215-220 # and have an '07 575 with an RP23 and love it, although I have thought of trying the DHX air. I have read you can refit the DHX air with a larger air sleeve/can which can improve the air volume.

·
Ka-coo-ka-cha!
551 Posts
I understand from reading many threads on here that the Dhx air has a smaller air sleeve causing it to ride lower in the stroke and not allowing full travel for us heavier ( 200 + lbs. ) riders. I'm 215-220 # and have an '07 575 with an RP23 and love it, although I have thought of trying the DHX air. I have read you can refit the DHX air with a larger air sleeve/can which can improve the air volume.
So, smaller air sleeve = more progressive spring curve. Air does not perform very linearly like a coil spring. The smaller the volume, the more ramp-up of the spring force. Smaller cans are often spec'd on falling rate suspensions that can overcome this increase in force and therefore feel more linear, like the 575. A larger can would decrease that ramp up and thus provide less resistance and would be better for a rising rate or more linear rate suspension. This was spec'd on my 7 and in my experience caused the wallowy ride, but did make is feel very compliant in small bumps. It did suck at climbing though; I always felt like I was in the back seat and that takes it's toll on your strength

From talking with Push, there is also a flaw in the design of the DHX air that allows for aeration of the damper. The quirk accounts for the saggy feeling, as well. This is why you will never see them advertise service for these shocks. It is only a matter of time before the problem comes back and they don't want the noise from dealing with that. In any event, my bike has been better sans Fox shock.

A lighter friend (165-170) on a small 7 loves his Pushed RP23, but did not before that. It was spec'd with the large air can. Push changed it to the small and voila! Love.

My opinion: Bag the Fox...if the "stock" Monarchs are half as good as my Push Factory RC3 you will not be disappointed. Go check out the RT3 with a small can for your 575.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedbacks, after talking with the Fox dealer, he suggest me to try the RP23 and decide after, I think this is the best option.

I asked him if he can address the current feeling that I have with the DHX: Totally different behaiviour with the Pro pedal on - not tracking well and in the open position the bike is tracking very good, but swinging on uphill and on flat trails.

they suggest me to play with the pro-pedal (i already did), after a while the tehnician told me that you better use the RP23 since the behaiviour curve is better than the DHX on the yeti bike (high leverage ration).

I'll try
Thanks,
Dan

·
Mr. Knowitall
902 Posts
Mine came with the DHX5 Air, and it was not a good fit. Believe me: the RP23 just feels - controlled! I also support the suggestion of a Monarch RT3. An XC type shock is a better match for this frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.