Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than continue to hiJack hambones thread, I gigured I'd start my own. :)

I recently picked up a DHX air, only to find that it won't fit my '02 18" RFX. The pp knob would hit the downtube if I mount it PP down; if I mount it with the PP knob facing up, the BO knob hits the downtube UNLESS it is cranked all the way in. Oddly enough, hambone has enough clearance on his larger 20.5" RFX. I guess I could make it fit by modifying the BO knob, maybe have it turned down on a lathe, or perhaps just remove the knob. I'm not really happy with either of these options.

Are there any other potential solutions I'm missing?
Am I right thinking that I should sell this DHX and get an RP3 instead? Is anybody interested? Sorry for teh potential spam, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to deal with this or move on. I have a pushed vanilla RC so it's not like I need to make this work, just looking for a lighter shock for XC riding.
 

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
38,812 Posts
Take the knob off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
If your just trying to get double duty out of the RFX I guess it's a noble attempt to save weight. I just don't understand why people are running either of these DHX's on these great pedaling 6" bikes, especially the air. The beauty of the Turner frames is the fact that they're "fully active" suspension bicycles. Leave the stable platforms to the single pivots and other designs that need the bandaid. Run a well tuned shock and let that rear tire hook up a few oz's on the most important component on the frame aint gonna make a difference.

If I road alot of pure XC trails I'd probably have a 2nd XC bike. But I could never get used to going around or taking it easy over the natural and man made technicals that are all along my local trails.

Pick up a Burner, XCE or a Spot. Don't cripple the RFX :(
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I don't disagree with t66 entirely, but I must say the DHX A is an awfully nice shock on my 6-Pack. I have it dialed to perfection now. I would not want to put an old school Vanilla or Romic on there. Technology marches forward and it does have something to offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jayem said:
Take the knob off.
Thanks for the tip. Part of my dilemna is that I will also need to take a dremel to my rockers, to clear the air valve. At that point I'm modifying both frame and the shock to make it work. I will likely never adjust the BO valve or pressure as either adjustment would require removing the shock.

An RP3 would be cheaper and not require any modifications.

Does the DHX air actually feel better than the RP3, or provide anything of use to me beyond adjustable PP?
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
I think you can make the DHX A feel just like the RP3, but you cannot make the RP3 feel like some of the settings on the DHX A. If the stock RP3 feel is good for you, it is hard to beat. If you want a more or less progressive damping feel, or have some special needs the DHX A can address that the RP3 can't due to it's lack of options, you are stuck. Note that taking the DHX A's BO knob off is no big deal at all, and you will have to file your rockers to run the RP3 anyway as I don't think the shock's head fits totally inside the rockers, but I may be wrong. You could run it upside down.

I don't think you are weakening the rockers enough to worry about making a notch for the air valve, and taking the knob off is quick and easy. Go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
t66 said:
If your just trying to get double duty out of the RFX I guess it's a noble attempt to save weight.
If I road alot of pure XC trails I'd probably have a 2nd XC bike. But I could never get used to going around or taking it easy over the natural and man made technicals that are all along my local trails.

Pick up a Burner, XCE or a Spot. Don't cripple the RFX :(
You're reading my mind T66! ;)
I'm running 5" rockers & fork for the winter. All the FR trails are under snow here and it's going to be %98 XC till march or so. Either way I'll be throwing my pushed 2.25 vanilla RC and a 170mm 66 on when the FR trails open up again. I'm sick of riding XC on my hardtail, so the RFX is trying to lose weight for the winter.

Part of why I'm vascilating about this is, I could sell the DHX-air and put that money towards an XC FS frame as you suggest. I've even pondered trading the RFX for a spot and then adding a bigger bike (VP free etc) before summer. Or, keep the RFX and pick up a motolite, stumpy, spot, etc.. (I'd be on a budget though). I like that option as I wouldn't need to swap parts for summer XC rides- I have a good solid XC-trail riding build kit from my hardtail.

Thanks for the advice guys, as you can see I am going through a bit of a crisis here.:) :confused:
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Second taking the knob off

FM said:
Rather than continue to hiJack hambones thread, I gigured I'd start my own. :)

I recently picked up a DHX air, only to find that it won't fit my '02 18" RFX. The pp knob would hit the downtube if I mount it PP down; if I mount it with the PP knob facing up, the BO knob hits the downtube UNLESS it is cranked all the way in. Oddly enough, hambone has enough clearance on his larger 20.5" RFX. I guess I could make it fit by modifying the BO knob, maybe have it turned down on a lathe, or perhaps just remove the knob. I'm not really happy with either of these options.

Are there any other potential solutions I'm missing?
Am I right thinking that I should sell this DHX and get an RP3 instead? Is anybody interested? Sorry for teh potential spam, I'm just trying to figure out if I want to deal with this or move on. I have a pushed vanilla RC so it's not like I need to make this work, just looking for a lighter shock for XC riding.
I had to to get mine to fit my spot. I carry it in my pack in case I need to make an adjustment on the trail. Haven't had to yet.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S-Works said:
I had to to get mine to fit my spot. I carry it in my pack in case I need to make an adjustment on the trail. Haven't had to yet.
Silly me! It hadn't occured to me that the knob could be removed, but still used to make adjustments on the trail without removing the shock. That makes me feel way better about filing my rockers- so the DHX stays!

I probably will look for an XC frame this sdpring, so the RFX can stay build up heavy as I like it. I guess that's been distracting me from the obvious.
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
FM said:
Silly me! It hadn't occured to me that the knob could be removed, but still used to make adjustments on the trail without removing the shock. That makes me feel way better about filing my rockers- so the DHX stays!

I probably will look for an XC frame this sdpring, so the RFX can stay build up heavy as I like it. I guess that's been distracting me from the obvious.
BTW, don't worry about putting the notch in the rocker. Turner said it was OK to do, plenty of material.

Mine has the push sticker on it becuase Darren at Push did the notch for me when we were setting up the DHX air.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
FM said:
I probably will look for an XC frame this sdpring, so the RFX can stay build up heavy as I like it. I guess that's been distracting me from the obvious.
I've been having the same issues and have settled for the moment on riding my ht 31lbs Kona on more 'trail' type rides with no drops over 5-6ft.

IF I ever tone down the RFX for more trail friendly use it'll be because I've bought a Highline for the heavier duty rides.

Clem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HubbaMan said:
I've been having the same issues and have settled for the moment on riding my ht 31lbs Kona on more 'trail' type rides with no drops over 5-6ft.

IF I ever tone down the RFX for more trail friendly use it'll be because I've bought a Highline for the heavier duty rides.

Clem
yep. I've gotten quite used to riding my dekerf implant hardtail on anything south of the border. There's really nothing on our local rides that I won't try on it- small drops & jumps, steep chutes...nothing too scary. however it's got like a 66d head angle and 30lbs+, it's not an ideal bike for the awesome long summer XC rides we have here in the cascades. All the parts off it would be perfect for a 5" frame- something lighter than the RFX.

I can't see the need for anything burlier than the RFX at my current skill level, I just don't need it yet. Another season and I might change my mind.

Anyways, I did get the DHX air installed... with the 5" rockers and Z1, and lighter wheels & tires, the RFX will be perfect for off-season XC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
FM said:
I can't see the need for anything burlier than the RFX at my current skill level, I just don't need it yet. Another season and I might change my mind.
Same boat here as well, so far the RFX is meeting all my freeride needs. I've recently installed a new 6 Pack back end on it as I had bent my original RFX one but I think this coming season will determine if a Highline is in the cards for me or if I keep the RFX in freeride mode.

I don't have many epic xc rides here so I can get a way with my 31lbs 67deg HA Kona but I see where you're coming from with your need for a light full sus xc rig. If I was to be in the saddle for more than 3 hrs at a time on a trail ride I'd want to be more comfortable.

My local rides usually include lots of stops for stunts/jumps/drops so comfort isn't a priority and I can choose between my two bikes as the RFX is still capable of climbing even if it is a porky 40lbs.

With your winter xc setup that bike is amazing for trail riding ... that damn frame is sooo versatile I've had thoughts of buying a second RFX just to have one in light trail mode and one in freeride.

Clem
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top