Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking of this as a little winter UGI cure for my Spot to replace the stock Romic.
But all the threads about stuck down and blown shocks has me second guessing that decision. I like the idea of the beefy air shock(DHX). Although the RP3 sounds good if you get it Pushed but thats more than I can spend ,also I don't know how well the shock would hold up to the 3-4 foot drops to flat found around here. ( not many transisions on our trails) So I'm wondering for those of you on the DHX airs out there how are they holding up? I know almost anything will be an improvement over the Romic. FWIW I weigh about 190 with bike gear maybe a little more after the winter if I don't get out enough.

M.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
There are some VERY simple steps you can take to virtually eliminate the stuck-down issue. Seeing as how that is basically the only problem associated with the shock, I personally would consider it more reliable than my DHX coils, both of which have been back to Fox, one of them twice.

Do this: deflate the shock, unscrew the air canister, drip about 5-10 drops of some heavy fork oil (15-20wt) in into the air canister, screw back together, reinflate, ride. Repeat every 3-4 months.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I know that it's politically incorrect to like the Romic on the Turner board, but I have to say that I have always liked the ride of that shock.

I tested the 2005 RP3 for about 2 weeks and now have the 2006 RP3. I've been using the 2006 Rp3 for about 6 months now. For 5 of those months it was used with the original Spot rockers (2003) and for the last month, I've been using the RP3 with the longer Spot rockers. So far, it's my favorite combination.

Neither RP3 was Pushed.

I weigh about 180#.

In order of preference, I like:
1) The 2006 RP3 with the longer rockers
2) The Romic with original rockers (have not tried it with the longer rockers)
3) The 2006 RP3 with the original rockers
4) The 2005 RP3 with original rockers (I didn't have the longer rockers when I tested this shock)

I've never tried the DHX A, but a lot of guys on this board like the shock, especially when it comes to drops and rough downhills.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I'm starting to really like the DHX-air now that I've gotten it better tuned. It certainly feels more coil-like than the Rp3. The bottom-out adjuster is really nice too- no worries about getting that horrible metal-on-metal feeling, istead it has a nice controlled progressive end stroke. This feature alone makes it a better choice than the Rp3 for anybody that gets airborne. The high pressures scared me initially, but I've pretty much forgotten about that.

I still prefer the feel of the 7.5x2.25 pushed vanilla RC for anything truly gnarly, but it's heavier of course.

The Rp3 was a lot lighter than the DHX-air. Great XC shock.

I loved my romic when it worked, which was about %50 of the time. Seems to be trouble free for some people though, weird.

·
carpe mañana
7,307 Posts
Behind curtain #3 is the upcoming 5 Spot upgrade from PUSH. Longer stroke massaged RP3 with custom rockers. Something to chew on. In any case, I had a DHXcoil, RP3 and DHXair on my 5 Spot and prefer the DHXair out of the three. The range of tunability is enormous and by squirting oil into the air cannister you can control the spring curve to a large extent, given the large volume of the chamber you start with.

_MK

·
Huh?
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that thread about the Push RP3 / rockers but honestly didn't get what the point was.??Are we talking more travel, better handling?? Not to mention I'd probably have to sell a kidney and give up my first born or at least name it after Darren in order to get this as yet unseen upgrade. I'm sure it will be great but...$$$$$$ Theres only so much overtime available.
M.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same situation as aixelsyd, chosing between Rp3 (pushed) and DHX-a. After reading Blue Shorts reply above I'm wondering about the longer rockers. Are they something I should consider too?

·
Registered
410 Posts
aixelsyd said:
I read that thread about the Push RP3 / rockers but honestly didn't get what the point was.??Are we talking more travel, better handling?? Not to mention I'd probably have to sell a kidney and give up my first born or at least name it after Darren in order to get this as yet unseen upgrade. I'm sure it will be great but...$$$$$$ Theres only so much overtime available.
M.
IMO the DHX-A does not compare to the pushed RP3 - I tried the dhx & did not like how it blew threw its travel with NO mid range control at all no matter how I set it up. Small bump was nice but after that it blew threw with not a great overall feeling - now the 06 pushed rp3 has a better overall feel more controled just as Darren what he thinks is the best shock for the spot. Some say you can dial the dhx to feel like the rp3 which may be true - but then why not just get the rp3? also even though turner says there is no more fit issue with the new dhx be casue the bo valve is smaller - dont believe that - it nicked my frame & it was not because of the setup
get the rp3 & have it pushed when ya can - a pushed rp3 is not that much more than the dhx

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have had a romic, a DHX-A, a PUSH'd 05 RP3 and will get a PUSH'd 06 RP3 on wednesday, as my wife nicked the 05. I've sold the DHX-A, it's just to much like hard work to set up, although adn't heard the oil in the air chamber trick...
But the PUSH'd RP3 (05) squats less, and just feels more controlled up and downhill. DHX-A felt great when I lived in a flattish area, maybe as the big air volume worked better on small stuff, and felt more coil like, maybe because I hadn't had the RP3 PUSH'd, who knows?
I'd go straight to Darren and get a PUSH'd 06 RP3, you won't be disappointed, and it's way easier to setup, also has three modes you can use without getting the pump out, although the PP dial gives you even more with the DHX-A. If you like it easy and great feeling tho, go RP3, IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.