Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 05 Kona Coiler with a stock DHX 4.0 Coil rear shock and so far I'm happy with it's performance, but I've been already thinking about lightening up the bike, mostly by changing the wheelset and tires and I've also considered changing the DHX 4.0 Coil to a 07 DHX Air 5.0 . Have any of you had experiences with these two rear shocks and can tell me the differences you have found between the two? I guess it could also be a 06 DHX Air 5.0 if there's not much difference between it and the 07.

Thanks

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
The Air version blows thru travel way to fast for bigger guys. Don't know if that applies to you or not. But i was not impressed with the ride of the air. I have a buddy riding the air and he's 165 and it works great for him on his coilair.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
^^Yeah but the shock has to be set up for you. Plus you have to take the leverage ratio into perspective. Air shocks are made so that anyone can ride them on any type of terrain w/ your likings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
rkonindustry said:
The Air version blows thru travel way to fast for bigger guys. Don't know if that applies to you or not. But i was not impressed with the ride of the air. I have a buddy riding the air and he's 165 and it works great for him on his coilair.
hey quick question? how big are the bigger guys you are referring too? i weigh around 195? they are putting that shock (actually the DHX 4.0 AIR) on that triple diamond DH/FH mongoose that eric carter is riding? they actually changed it from the coil version to the air version for 07---he cant possibly be blowing thru that travel, can he?? i mean you gotta see the picture of him launching it off a huge drop --i'll see if i can find it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Here are some pros and cons for the DHX5 Air:

+ saves about a pound of weight over DHX4 coil
+ adjustable spring rate using air
+ bottom out adjuster, lacking on the DHX4 coil.
+ very plush
- blows through the travel easily (but has some work arounds*)
- blows your money easily
- 05/06 Coiler uses a high shock leverage ratio so a lot of air is needed to set the right sag
- may get stuck down

* The front lower shock mount hole(closest to the downtube) can be use to provide a more progressive spring rate. Combined with the bottom-out adjust feature, it actually makes the DHX5 Air work quite well.

To shed some weight off the Coiler be prepared to spend some serious cash (speaking from experience). :D

·
hells bells
33 Posts
I think that the most "notice-able" difference is the weight of tyres and rims . If the trails are not so rocky you can put a lighter rim and tire and the difference will be enormous . In my country we have a lot of rocky stuff so I went for the nokian gazza 2.6 for the piece of mind and zero snakebites .With 2,35 maxxis I had a lot of flats. So If you dont ride at rock stuff and you are lightweight you can buy a folding 2.3 tire and a lighter rim .
I had the dhx air 06 and I switched to roco coil . I think for all mountain use the dhx air is great (My only concern is the stuck down issue)

With those changes you earn something but you lose something . I prefer the stiffness and the piece of mind from the lightweight. But just me

·
Registered
768 Posts
I don't know how big you plan on going, but I've hit a lot of 5'-6' drops to flat, and well as many other jumps and drops to tranny with my dhx air 5.0 and I've never had a hard bottom out.
I weigh 230+ (I was over 240 w/gear and water for a while) with my grear on, and I run the shock with the full 300psi in the main chamber, between 175 and 200 psi in the boost chamber, and the bottom out dialed up all the way.
I think I'm going to get a dhx coil because I feel like I'm pushing the limits of the air shock at my weight, but as I said, I've never felt any really noticable bottom out back there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Trailmix said:
I just bought a 05 Kona Coiler with a stock DHX 4.0 Coil rear shock and so far I'm happy with it's performance, but I've been already thinking about lightening up the bike, mostly by changing the wheelset and tires and I've also considered changing the DHX 4.0 Coil to a 07 DHX Air 5.0 . Have any of you had experiences with these two rear shocks and can tell me the differences you have found between the two? I guess it could also be a 06 DHX Air 5.0 if there's not much difference between it and the 07.

Thanks
My 05 coiler came with a stock fox vanilla 2.0 shock, was yours upgraded to a 4.0 and you want to upgrade again or was the 4.0 stock :???:

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for all the good input on the subject. I should have clarified that I have a 05 Coiler Dee-Lux, and it comes standard with the DHX 4.0 I'm about 175lbs. with full gear and I really don't plan to do any big air type riding. All mountain is more my intent with the bike. I like sus13's dual purpose bike. I may do something similar to that. I don't know exactly what the medium stock 05 Coiler Dee-Lux weighs in at, but it would be nice to loose 5lbs. or more if possible. It's sounds like the DHX air 5.0 could help do the trick.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
koko85 said:
hey quick question? how big are the bigger guys you are referring too? i weigh around 195? they are putting that shock (actually the DHX 4.0 AIR) on that triple diamond DH/FH mongoose that eric carter is riding? they actually changed it from the coil version to the air version for 07---he cant possibly be blowing thru that travel, can he?? i mean you gotta see the picture of him launching it off a huge drop --i'll see if i can find it
235 and up are the bro's i know of. A lot has to do with the leverage ratio of the bike. You can't compare a Coiler to a Blur for example. The ratios are completely different. Coiler has a high ratio that blows thru the travel quickly. So i'm only making reference to the way it reacts on a coiler. I have a coiler deelux with the DHX 4.0 coil. I test rode the Coilair for a week before buying. I new i hated the air on the first ride. My buddy owns a 07 Coilair Supreme. The DHX Air works fine for him but he's switching to a Roco for the durability factor. And he wants to start going bigger.

And with EC- it's hard to ever compare with what pro's ride on. If i was as fluid as EC i could ride a rigid and take drops. And yes pro riders do use all the travel their bikes allow them. But they don't break stuff as much because they know how to land smoother that the average rider.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
An air shock can only do so much- not everyone can ride them on any terrain. Have you ever read the chart that says the amount of air to put in it. What is the highest weight that fox lists? So if your 270 lbs on a 3:1 Coiler with 300lbs of air in the shock you're going to blow thru 90% of your travel dropping off a curb. Ask me how i know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks for the info---i ask cause i am looking at the mongoose triple diamond and it comes with the dhx air 4.0 and last year (06) they went with the coil over shock? and they also went with a single chain ring this year as opposed to a the (06) double chain ring...my point is they seemed to make it a more aggressive bike but put on an air shock?

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
koko85 said:
thanks for the info---i ask cause i am looking at the mongoose triple diamond and it comes with the dhx air 4.0 and last year (06) they went with the coil over shock? and they also went with a single chain ring this year as opposed to a the (06) double chain ring...my point is they seemed to make it a more aggressive bike but put on an air shock?
I think the reason they changed it is to appeal to the growing trend of lighter DH/FR bikes. Not only did they switch to single ring up front, and the air shock, but went from a dual crown fork to a 66SL air fork. They lightened that bike up quite a bit. For me a would have prefered the 06 spec list. w/ the 07' brake and wheels:thumbsup: .

The ratio is 3.44:1 on the bike which means no fatties allowed. haha At 195lbs for you i would think you'd be just fine. I still prefer the feel of the coil.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.