Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the Fox DHX air 5.0 typically comes with two separate air chambers. However, I've also noticed that on the 2006 Enduros... There only seems to be one location on the shock which you can add air too. Is this because the DHX air 5.0 on the Specialized Enduros is an OE part? Reason I'm wondering is because the manual says not to ride the bike (shock) with less than 75 psi in the extra reservoir; however there isn't any schrader valve on the reservoir where it is supposed to be. <-- At least from the pictures in the manual. Anyone with some info/explanation on this??

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, the DHX for the Spec is made for the Spec. You can't access the boost chamber valve at the end of the piggyback on a regular DHX with the design of the Enduro frame. Your manual just describes the regular DHX.

·
Registered
312 Posts
you can still adjust bottom out resistance...the OEM specs on the boost are darn good

A friend has an '06 Enduro with the DHX design you're talking about. I have one on my 5-Spot where it has the valve for the boost chamber. I messed with the air pressure in there along with my bottom out valve (I'll get to my friend's experince down below). Whoa, the bottom out dial and boost airpressure make a difference in the ride, and the way they interplay with eachother took much trial and error to understand, and if I kept messing with it I might still be learning more. Now the part you might be glad to hear. After tweaking every way I could, I ended up setting up the boost chamber with the same pressure as where it started, and dialing out the boost dial to where it started as well (all the way backed out). Basically, the boost chamber came well suited to the bike, leaving me to focus on the main chamber for my ride weight. I weigh 200lbs suited up.

As for my friend, he had the same concerns as you (wanting to mess with the boost pressure). Just to play with it he dialed in the boost valve like I did. After dialing it in, his 230lb butt (suited up) cound't manage to force the rear into full travel despite 4ft airs. If he lowered the main chamber he got too much sag and the ride got mushy. So, he backed out the bottom out dial and he's back to peak performace.

The conclusion we reached was that these boost chamers are being shipped to the frame builders well suited to their intended useage.:thumbsup:

-kcav

·
1:18
526 Posts
Yup, it's OEM DHX Air "4.5" shock for Spesh only, lacking the Boost Valve adjustment. But since Bottom-out and Boost valve pressure interplay with each other, the Boost pressure increases as you dial the Bottom-out knob clockwise and decrease the piggyback volume.

Boost valve pressure is preset at 125 PSI with BO full out. You'll find more info with search function: boost valve enduro. I recommend reading to get some basic info how the shock works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.