Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, per someone's recommendation I've retuned the DHX-A on the Stinky to the following:

Main chamber: 285 (solid 1/3 sag, fully loaded)
Rebound: 5 clicks in
Boost Valve: 170 psi
Bottom-out: Fully screwed in
Propedal: 6 clicks in

Dunno if anyone remembers or cares, but my issue on the Stinky (2002 Stinky Dee-Lux) was that the DHX-A had lousy mid-stroke compression damping and I was blowing through my entire stroke pretty much while pedaling down the street. Wallowed like crazy on the trail, as you can probably imagine. So, my big changes were a) completely screwing in the bottom-out and b) increasing the boost valve to 170 psi.

Much improved mid-stroke. Much, much improved. Less wallowing, that's for sure. It still feels pretty linear, even with the shock mounted in the "progressive" hole on the frame. However, there's some harshness now over square-edged hits. I'm also not able to bottom out the shock on even the very most aggressive descent I can do (featuring a 4'-ish vertical drop to flat), so the next go-round features screwing out the bottom-out one complete turn and dropping the boost valve to 165 psi.

Anyway, good tip. Still troubled by the extremely high pressures required by the shock, but I'm assuming the pressure ranges are Fox's safety margin, and the shock has in fact been engineered to tolerate even higher pressures.

p.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like you still need some tweaking. Good luck.

I am not sure if it is me, my bike, or my shock but I got my DHX-A tuned in before I even rode it.
Body weight in the main (165)
90 in the boost
Boost all the way out
PP and Rebound set to my likings
06 Ventana X5

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RoundRockTJ said:
Sounds like you still need some tweaking. Good luck.

I am not sure if it is me, my bike, or my shock but I got my DHX-A tuned in before I even rode it.
Body weight in the main (165)
90 in the boost
Boost all the way out
PP and Rebound set to my likings
06 Ventana X5
Yeah, it's a tweaker's dream. I keep buying these tweak-worthy toys (Z1 FR SL, anyone?) so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

My adjustments were done in response to this thread. Dang! I guess it really has been 3 weeks since I took the big bike out. And it still is a beast to pedal.

p.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts