Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
the roco on the 7point is amazingly active. i would look into the roco TST, so you could add some compression damping for climbing, or completely turn the compression damping off.
the only thing perculiar about IH and rear shocks, is that they use 1/3 less compression damping than most other frames. so, you likely need to get the shock tuned for the dwlink.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
sriracha said:
the roco on the 7point is amazingly active. i would look into the roco TST, so you could add some compression damping for climbing, or completely turn the compression damping off.
the only thing perculiar about IH and rear shocks, is that they use 1/3 less compression damping than most other frames. so, you likely need to get the shock tuned for the dwlink.
Does the DHX adjust propedal from "off" (none) or does it start with *some* amount of platform at the minimum setting?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
fsrxc said:
Does the DHX adjust propedal from "off" (none) or does it start with *some* amount of platform at the minimum setting?
i wonder the same thing. i've never actually experimented with a DHX, so i don't know.
i have a roco on my V10, and i've pedaled a 7point with a tuned roco. both bikes are very smooth.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
sriracha said:
Why is that? Intentional? Just curious.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
I have both a Roco RC (on a highline) and a Roco TST-R (on a titus motolite). I really like the rocos! I borrowed a DHX coil previous to the TST-R, used the same spring on it, and was amazed at how much softer & plusher the roco felt, compared to the DHX (with minimum PP / BO settings).

The TST-R is really cool, the five TST positions range between absolutely no compression damping and full lock-out. Really cool, this is what I always wished pro-pedal would be.

One thing I was noticing with both shocks, the range of rebound seemed fast and narrow. But, I found a thread on ridemonkey which explained that this is often due to too much lock-tite left over from initial assembly. Behind the rebound knob there is a flat-head screw adjustment (sometimes there is a sticker over it). After adjusting the rebound using this flathead screw adjustment, I found the range of adjustment was much wider, all the way down to full-slow lock-down.

I haven't had to rebuild a roco, but apparently it can be done easily at home (release the air, drain oil from the phillips screw on back of shock, fill, add air)

Anyway, can't speak for on the ironhorse, but I do love the roco so far.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
FM said:
...I found a thread on ridemonkey which explained that this is often due to too much lock-tite left over from initial assembly. Behind the rebound knob there is a flat-head screw adjustment (sometimes there is a sticker over it). After adjusting the rebound using this flathead screw adjustment, I found the range of adjustment was much wider, all the way down to full-slow lock-down.

I haven't had to rebuild a roco, but apparently it can be done easily at home (release the air, drain oil from the phillips screw on back of shock, fill, add air).
yah, this happened to my roco rc also. i took it to marzocchi and watched ronnie disassemble and investigate. too much threadlock was the issue. you can do what you did and just work the threadlock out by gently "forcing" the knob.

ronnie rebuilt the roco by submerging all the parts in a vat full of shock oil, and assembling it fully submerged. it's possible to drain and rebuild the way you suggested, but the only way to garauntee an air free rebuild is to rebuild it fully submerged.

·
Registered
104 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
more pedaling...DHX
more DH runs Roco
I don't agree. The DHX is better in everyway (well, the roco is smoother). I didn't like my roco at all, and I ride mostly downhill. I now have the DHX5.0, it's so much better! The worst thing about the roco was in corners (mostly berms) when the shock compresses so much that it forces the riders weight too far back on the bike. Adjustable lowspeed compression would make it a hell of a lot better.

Go for the DHX, no matter what you ride.

Ps. I'm a big marzocchi fan, and I don't like fox too much as a company and brand, but when the difference is this big, I'd go for fox (and I did).

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
themarsvolta55 said:
probs the dhx. slim cheaper, got the pedaling cause i still do a tad freeriding/ pedaling. and itll prob still feel like tits on the point5
if you run the dhx with no pro pedal its extreamly sensetive and awsome for dh

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
cribe said:
I don't agree. The DHX is better in everyway (well, the roco is smoother). .
Well, I don't agree with you.:prft: Having ridden a Roco TST-R and DHX 5.0 coil on the same bike, with the same spring, I much preferred the roco overall. They do have different feels. Mainly I couldn't find settings I liked for both downhill and uphill on the DHX, and changing the settings while riding was too fiddly. With the roco TST, you can set it up buttery for the downhills, firm for climbs, somewhere inbetween for big hits.... changing is as easy as flippin' a switch.

Also I like being able to load the bike up and pop off things, the roco has a mroe active playful, also feels more "sticky" in a good way...like the shock tracks the ground better. Less compression damping, I guess. If you're all about efficiency, or set and forget, then the DHX might be better for you. They are both great shocks, I think it depends on rider preference and style.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FM said:
Well, I don't agree with you.:prft: Having ridden a Roco TST-R and DHX 5.0 coil on the same bike, with the same spring, I much preferred the roco overall. They do have different feels. Mainly I couldn't find settings I liked for both downhill and uphill on the DHX, and changing the settings while riding was too fiddly. With the roco TST, you can set it up buttery for the downhills, firm for climbs, somewhere inbetween for big hits.... changing is as easy as flippin' a switch.
We are talking about different roco's. I had the Roco Rc (-06). The Rc is impossible to set-up to be good or even rideable for uphills (atleast not on LT bikes).

Does the roco-tst need to be set differently for hucking? I'm running almost 40% sag on mu DHX and it's pritty much set-up for downhill riding. Still it has never bottomed out when riding big drops (14-16ft). I ride the bike on trails with the same set-up (sometimes I add a few clicks of propedal), works just fine. VPP together with the DHX is a great combination.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
cribe said:
We are talking about different roco's. I had the Roco Rc (-06). The Rc is impossible to set-up to be good or even rideable for uphills (atleast not on LT bikes).
Yes and No. I have both Roco's- a TST-R and also a '06 RC. I have done some fairly big climbs (2k'+) on my highline with the Roco RC, it climbs great for me. Good enough I bought a roco for my other bike. I just don't really feel the "need" for a platform. Just sit and pedal smoothly and bikes go uphill fine.

Some riders feel the "need" for a platform and others don't....

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
fsrxc said:
My only complaint about my 05 DHX5.0 is that I can't reduce the platform enough. That's running 100 psi and having the PP fully open (off). I can run the pressure a little lower, but then I have trouble with bottom out. IMHO, the DHX is not real sensitive to smaller bumps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FM said:
Yes and No. I have both Roco's- a TST-R and also a '06 RC. I have done some fairly big climbs (2k'+) on my highline with the Roco RC, it climbs great for me. Good enough I bought a roco for my other bike. I just don't really feel the "need" for a platform. Just sit and pedal smoothly and bikes go uphill fine.

Some riders feel the "need" for a platform and others don't....
I've never liked platform shocks (Swingers, 5th element), but that was before I got my hands on the DHX5.0 (witch I usually ride with minimum propedal).

When sitting down and pedaling, there's no need for propedal, but when the climb is steep enough and you have only one chainring (36t, like I have), then you have to stand up and pedal. That's when you really notice that the roco rc is one of the worst shocks for climbing.

And for downhill, the roco rc isn't good. Atleast not if you want to go fast. It's ok in rockgardens, but when it comes to cornering the shock really is one of the worst shocks out there. The shock is smooth cos it has so little lowspeed compression (and it's not adjustable). That makes the shock compress way too much when riding corners and forces the rider further back on the bike. Not good if you want to go fast.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Neither Fox nor Marzocchi has a shock with the 9 x 2.75 measurement on their 2007 stock. What are the options for anyone wanting to upgrade a 2006 7point? Is it safe to use the 9 x 3?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.