Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of getting a Heckler and cant decide on the shock.

The situation is that I want to replace my Ellswroth Truth with something a little more heavy duty and all mountain. Fairly sure I will go for the Heckler due to good price and simplicity.

Truth has a Romic (Ti) and it's a lovely shock. Other bike is a Coiler with DHX5.0 coil, which is also nice but a very heavy bike for XC riding at 40lbs.

Heckler will be do it all bike but I have never had an air shock and I weigh 200lbs. Looking at 5-6ft drops max.

I am torn between the DHX air and coil. There is a £70 price difference. Maybe I should spend that towards a Ti spring on a DHX coil :confused:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just traded out my DHX air to get a DHX coil. The DHX coil feels a lot better IMO, and the fact that you can still ride it out if it blows is a little peace of mind. I'm a heavier guy, and think the DHX Air is a good shock, but to me the coil makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
How about this?

Obviously money is not an issue.

Get a DHX coil with a Ti spring.

THe DHX Air may not be the right shock for SP frames. (something about blowing through travel while in mid stroke, or somelting like that.)

TNC, do you have any input?

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
I have a DHX coil on my heckler. It came with a manitou 3way air shock and while it was ok, the dhx coil was much better. Being a big guy doing drops, I think the coil is better for you. The pound of weight can be lost somewhere else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.