Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking at the mtbr classifieds for a new shock. I could get a '08 DHX 5.0 air for $200. Thats like $250 off so its a good deal for being ridden less than 2 hours. it has the right measurements. I weigh 215+/- pounds and I mostly ride XC but I like to hit jumps and drops whenever I can (about to build a new kicker to launch me down my hill). I want to be able to do some DH and FR in the future. I have a '06 kona coiler. So what I'm asking, should i go with this air shock (lighter and has propedal for easier climbing) or should I go with a coil shock like the DHX 5.0 coil based on my riding and weight? Also, if you have one, what do you think of it? If I were to get a different shock instead, what would you suggest?

Sorry I keep posting questions like this. My other threads just move down the list and people stop answering.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Coil!

In most applications the coil will pedal better, have better feeling and will be much better DH and on jumps.

The coil is heavier, but most people say it is worth the weight. Also, if you are over 200lbs, then you will find the air will be very squat and tend to blow through the mid section of the travel.

Light riders say it's ok, I am 70kg and find the air not so good.

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. so should I go with the DHX 5.0 coil or should I maybe look at something from marz or rock shox? It would be nice if i didn't have to pay $400+.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
pretty much for your weight I would go for the Coil....you will get a plusher ride...the rocco is a good shock too, but get it with TST to lock out on climbs

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
air is not so good for how hefty you are.. get the coil, you'll enjoy it much more
DHX 5.0 coil is a decent shock, I'm not a fan of propedal at all, but some people tend to like it.

I'd recommend a Roco TST

·
Mountain Dew enthusiest
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wondering, what don't you like about propedal? I don't have as much experience with shocks as I would like so I just want to make sure I get the right one. Oh, and the rocco tst doesn't come in the right size for my frame.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Propedal is a pedaling platform that is build into the DHX, it's sort of a "crutch" that helps eliminate pedal bob during climbing. However, it tends to mess with compression damping in a pretty negative way, affecting the shock performance through it's entire stroke.

I rode a DHX 5.0 for 2 seasons, and even during climbs I liked having it fully active with zero propedal. Adding propedal just made the shock feel dead and goopy (like it was filled with maple syrup or something). Smooth controlled pedal strokes helped far more with eliminating pedal bob.

Without propedal the DHX actually felt pretty nice, just spiked on big hits.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have the 09 air on my Preston FR. The Pro-pedal is just on/off and I really like it for climbing. No pedal bob. I ride a lot of XC, DH, and jumps. I weigh about 185 with gear. I like it a lot for general trail riding, but on the jumps it has no midstroke. My biggest complaint is that you can't just set it and forget it, you have to mess with it all the time, and after a couple months I still don't feel like I've got it down to a really comfortable standard setting. For that reason, I'd probably do a coil if I did it again and try to save the weight in my wheels and drive-train if I was really worried about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.