Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone out there could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. I recently purchased a Yeti 575 with a DHX 5.0 Air rear shock. When I fill the boost valve to 150 psi, I notice that if I detach the shock pump and reattach it, it reads at 100psi. Is this a problem or just the overhead leaks from removing and reattaching the shock pump?

·
Slow Patrol
438 Posts
That is normal. When you connect the pump the pump fills with air from the device you are attaching to. If that device has a small volume of air compared to the pump then the pressure reading will drop.

Notice when you connect the pump you do not hear air "leaking" but when you disconnect the pump you hear air "leaking". That air you hear leaking is the air in the pump which is at the same pressure as the shock. connecting and disconnecting are symmetric. If no air is leaking on connect then none is leaking on disconnect.

The o-ring in the pump seals the air before the pump opens the valve on the shock. The reverse is also true, the value is closed before the o-ring seal is broken. Thus you get no leaks on connect/disconnect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.