Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to get an '04 Norco Shore for quite a deal ($2899 CAD, brand new, stock build...MSRP was $4300 originally). The only thing is, I'd like to sell the stock Vanilla RC and throw on a DHX 5.0. I'm getting a lot of conflicting information regarding whether or not the DHX would actually fit (searches haven't turned up anything concrete and the shop selling the bike "doesn't know"). I see that the '05 Norco Atomic, which uses the same frame as the '04 Shore, uses a DHX 3.0, so that's promising, but does anyone know if there is a size difference (or protruding knobs) compared to the 3.0?

Better yet, has anybody actually successfully fitted a DHX 5.0 onto an '04 Shore yet?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well do you know the e2e measurement of the stock shock? I'm not even sure if you can buy a DHX-3 aftermarket. I'd just send the RC to Push Industries and get them to put brand new souped up internals in (PushIndustries.com). For 185$ they'll make your RC at least as good as the DHX. If you really want the DHX, I'm pretty sure the reseviour and stuff will fit. The DHX-3 isn't bigger than the DHX-5 and you said the DHX-5 fits in a similar frame so I think it's just an issue of eye 2 eye/stroke length.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking at getting a DHX 3, it's the only reference that I've got for fitting a DHX 5 into the frame. I'm asking if the DHX 5 is bigger than the 3, as it will definitely be a close fit. I'm aware of the Push option as well.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact the manufacturer? What kind of stupid suggestion is that? Fricking noobies!

Haha, just kidding, I always give out replies like that, I guess I should follow my own advice and give them a shout, I'm at work and lazy though :p . No worries on the mistake, my posts are mostly incomprehensible jibberish anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
96 Posts
If I am correct in thinking that you are talking about the diameter of the spring/shock and if it will clear the the seat tube supports, then you should be fine... We just mounted an Avalanche DHS w/ a Ti Spring to an '04 Shore in the shop I work at, and that shock is bigger than any of the DHX shocks... If you're talking about eye to eye length, just call up Norco and get the length if you're shop doesn't have it and you can't find it in literature anywhere. Then just find the appropriate DHX... Good luck bro those Shores are sick bikes!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slotownfr said:
Nice ride, i got the same bike and was thinking of doing the same swap, my propedal valve is messed up so i have to warrenty it so i am thinking of just changing out the shock
I'm also looking at possibly just sending the RC to get PUSH'd (as recommended above). I have a thread on the Shocks forum asking if anyone has compared a PUSH'd RC to a DHX. Since you have an used, "messed up" shock, you may be better off (money-wise, at least) going with the PUSH option, unless you've got money to burn.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to find a definitive "yes, I've tried this, there are no issues" type of answer, as I'll probably end up mail-ordering the shock from the US (I'm in Canada) as this would save a bunch of money. Not sure if i2i is an issue yet, still figuring that one out, but I'm under the assumption that it's not, for now

This is one case where it would be great to support my LBS, as they could order one in and try to fit it, and if it doesn't fit, I don't have to buy it. Unfortunately, it is way, WAY cheaper to mail-order the shock in, and it would be really nice to save the money, if possible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah man I don't know what the deal is with the shop you're dealin' with. Seems kinda weird they would say they "don't know." It's really easy to find out with just a few calls. If someone doesnt give you a definite answer today, I'll be at work tomorrow and we have a DHX 5.0 on Titus Super Moto that I will measure along with any apparent clearance issues on the Norco and I'll let you know tomorrow evening...

Also, ask your shop if they will pricematch something you find online. Most shops I know, including the one I work at, would be happy to hook you up, to a certain price, in order to keep your business. Alot of people who come in with stuff they bought online don't realize that they woulda gotten a better deal through the bike shop once they figured in shipping and all that stuff.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't blame the shop, I just asked in passing, I didn't press them on it. I didn't want to seem to keen on the bike just yet, I want to try bargaining with them if/when I buy the bike from them. Just thought I'd see if anyone here knows.

dandurston, I've found on couple good deals in the US, I'll try to dig them up. What kind of Canadian prices are you seeing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.