Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone knows. Would it be enough to install a shreader valve and get the BO adjuster knob from Fox and call your DHX3.0, 5.0? Provided you don't care for the Pro Pedal knob, which I personally don't. Anyone?

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Good question. I was wondering if that piggyback on the 3.0 is identical in all other respects, in the sense that you can indeed add a schrader valve and/or the boost valve collar. The list I have at the shop shows the 3.0 only to be OEM, but it's over two months old now. Do you have the 3.0?

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw one on ebay in a size that would interest me. The price is not low, but lower than 5.0s. Would make a good backup to my DHXair if it's doable. I guess, I'll call Fox and try to weasel an answer out of them.

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Hey, MK.

MK_ said:
Curious if anyone knows. Would it be enough to install a shreader valve and get the BO adjuster knob from Fox and call your DHX3.0, 5.0? Provided you don't care for the Pro Pedal knob, which I personally don't. Anyone?

_MK
I looked at and took a pic of the 3.0 we have at the shop on an Enduro and one of the 5.0 on my Bullit. My impression is that it won't be as simple as a schrader valve install. The center portion on my 5.0 that consists of the boost valve nut and schrader valve looks smaller that the center portion of the 3.0. My guess is that the "fixed nut" part of the end cap of each shock has to be removed completely and exchanged with the one you want. I don't know what that would entail, but it could be simple or complicated depending on what is attached to that end cap...and depending on whether these parts are available to us mere mortals.

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That DHXair looks to be Ron Jeremy caliber ;)

I think "depending on whether these parts are available to us mere mortals" is gonna be the issue, because the BV reservoir looks identical. I would venture a guess that you would indeed need to replace that bottom nut with the one that has the shraeder valve in it. It probably also has the piston element which reduces the volume. It might be pretty spendy, now, that I think about it. I'll call Fox tomorrow, if I'll remember and find out.

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Size really does matter!

MK_ said:
That DHXair looks to be Ron Jeremy caliber ;)

I think "depending on whether these parts are available to us mere mortals" is gonna be the issue, because the BV reservoir looks identical. I would venture a guess that you would indeed need to replace that bottom nut with the one that has the shraeder valve in it. It probably also has the piston element which reduces the volume. It might be pretty spendy, now, that I think about it. I'll call Fox tomorrow, if I'll remember and find out.

_MK
Ron Jeremy?...LOL!...I won't admit to knowing who that is. :eek: I think it's the camera angle that makes that 8.5 X 2.5 version look that way. Maybe that was Ron's secret? Please let us know if you find out anything.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, got off the phone with Fox. They guy I talked with actually got my number, talked with someone and called me back. I got a real roundabout answer. He mentioned some kind of a bladder that sits inside of the boost chamber which would need to be installed and that yes, you would need to replace that black nut. He said that they wouldn't do it, nor would they sell the parts, and that even if they would, it would be more cost effective to sell the 3.0 and buy the 5.0. They did mention that I should call PUSH and iquire if they would do something like that. Well, if you're reading it, Darren, what are your thoughts?

_MK

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Cool.

MK_ said:
OK, got off the phone with Fox. They guy I talked with actually got my number, talked with someone and called me back. I got a real roundabout answer. He mentioned some kind of a bladder that sits inside of the boost chamber which would need to be installed and that yes, you would need to replace that black nut. He said that they wouldn't do it, nor would they sell the parts, and that even if they would, it would be more cost effective to sell the 3.0 and buy the 5.0. They did mention that I should call PUSH and iquire if they would do something like that. Well, if you're reading it, Darren, what are your thoughts?

_MK
Good info. I'm somewhat impressed that Fox was fairly candid with you about this possible mod. Darren's been pretty good about trying to provide into on lots of Fox issues lately, so hopefully he'll se it. Thanks for running this down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts