Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Glad to see you found out what I was referring to. The ETRTO numbers are a better guide to actual tyre size than the claimed "inch" sizes from some manufacturers; Maxxis and Continental used to be wildly undersized but have come right over the last few years with their newer designs; it's particularly noticeable in the Maxxis DHF where the sizes go 2.3 = 58mm, 2.35 = 52mm, 2.5 = 55/59mm, the 2.35 and 2.5 are the old "narrow" style measurements whereas the 2.3 is a new design and more true to size.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
ERTO is supposed to oversee that standards be met. Yet, IME 29er tire sizing is all but uniform, and unless measuring by air volume is maddening. An Ardent 2.4 is rated at 60 x 622, and a Ra-Ra 2.4 is stamped 62 x 622, yet the Ardent is bigger.

Continental is all over the map, a Race King 2.2 may have a narrower tread width, but is a large(r) volume tire than both the Trail & X-King 2.2 Perhaps this is being updated, but I have yet to see any consistency.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ok so if I ran a 2.4 tk (60-59) in the rear with a dhr 2 in front (58mm) would it be a good fit or would the back be jacked up higher(too high)?

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
Ok so if I ran a 2.4 tk (60-59) in the rear with a dhr 2 in front (58mm) would it be a good fit or would the back be jacked up higher(too high)?
I'd run that combo the other way round, i.e. TK front and DHR2 rear. When you see Greg Minaar running a DHR2 on the front the tread has been modified to give better directional stability by his team mechanics.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'd run that combo the other way round, i.e. TK front and DHR2 rear. When you see Greg Minaar running a DHR2 on the front the tread has been modified to give better directional stability by his team mechanics.
Hmm...i've been on a full season of it up front (as recommended by the shop I bought it at)with a spesh butcher control on the back (would not recommend). I doubt I could get the TK on the 819 I have in the front. Maybe I'll try a dhf or a baron on the front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts