Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to switch up my tire combination. Wanting to try a DHRII front and a Forekaster rear for mostly northern Utah riding.

I've got Ibis 942/I9 wheels. 35mm internal width.

Wondering if anyone has experience running the 2.35" Forekaster specifically, non WT tire on a wide rim?

I was considering the 2.4 DHRII out front and 2.35 Forekaster in the rear. But wondering due to rim width the 2.6 would provide the better profile.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
2.35 Forkaster is a small volume tire. 30mm is to much rim IMHO
I've read many people here on MTBR saying what Cerberus has about the 2.35 Forkaster needing narrower rims

For 35mm iw rims, you need Maxxis WT tyres e.g. 2.4 2.5 2.6 .

So, yes, you'll need a 2.6 forkaster in order to obtain a good profile. Given the extra grip that 2.6 offers, would a 2.6 Rekon work?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read many people here on MTBR saying what Cerberus has about the 2.35 Forkaster needing narrower rims

For 35mm iw rims, you need Maxxis WT tyres e.g. 2.4 2.5 2.6 .

So, yes, you'll need a 2.6 forkaster in order to obtain a good profile. Given the extra grip that 2.6 offers, would a 2.6 Rekon work?
Good question. Not sure. I don't have experience with either on the loose over hard/kitty litter we predominately see in northern UT. I just know any Ikon is not enough.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Good question. Not sure. I don't have experience with either on the loose over hard/kitty litter we predominately see in northern UT. I just know any Ikon is not enough.
Got it. If it's more kitty litter than bigger loose rocks/gravel, the the Rekon could be the way to go.

There's already a bunch of info on MTBR about 2.6 tyres.

Here's a great way to search MTBR using Google, in this case searching for Rekon 2.6
site:forums.mtbr.com/ rekon 2.6

Here's a few of the threads that popped up:

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/rekon-2-6-vs-forekaster-2-6-a-1097421.html

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/anyone-running-2-6-rekons-yet-1041332.html

https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/rear-2-6-dhf-vs-2-5-aggressor-vs-2-6-rekon-1074655.html

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Pic below of a 29 2.35 Forekaster on 30.5mm id rims. Not sure if a wider rim would be too much for it or not. It has low profile knobs with generous spacing, and I'm probably already pushing its profile limits with my rims. For my usage it is an OK rear tire, but not one I will likely continue to use. I find I need a min of 26psi at 195lb riding weight. I have also run a 2.4 WT Rekon in the rear. Better profile and more grip and braking in the loose, but still not quite what I'm looking for. I've been running a 2.3 DHRII up front and am very happy with it. I know I can trust it in all sorts of conditions.

I might spend a week on the 2.6 Schwalbe HD/NN combo that came with the bike, mostly to get more feel for wider, high volume tires. In my short time on them previously, I appreciated how fast they were climbing. Grip and braking were good. I also liked the softer ride in chunk. But when cornering hard -- flat or berms generally loose over firm -- I quickly found the limits of the HD. I want to play more with tire pressures and see what I can sort out. I have a lot of tire experimenting planned for this summer and lots to learn.

Tire Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Stairs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.