Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my dhr of 08 has got big play at the rear end.it´s located at the linkage. the shafts which run in the needle bearing are pretty worn out. not the outside, but the inside, where the bolt is.
so my bolts are finished to.
can anybody tell me the measurements of the sharfs?
thank you!

·
~~~~~~~~
5,932 Posts
probably not the shafts that are worn out, the steel used is hard.
Have you ever changed out the shock eyelet hardware, that's what usually goes out first/most.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i did that! it IS the shaft and/or the bolt. you can actually see the play.
on the surface of the shafts you can see traces of the needles... and i use grease.
probably it is the dirt between the shaft and the needles... but i think that´s not the problem.
a friend is able to make me new shafts and bolts.
in europe it´s hard to get bolts with a let that has got 6mm... we mostly just have 5,8mm legs at our M6 bolts.

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
dh-noob said:
yes i did that! it IS the shaft and/or the bolt. you can actually see the play.
on the surface of the shafts you can see traces of the needles... and i use grease.
probably it is the dirt between the shaft and the needles... but i think that´s not the problem.
a friend is able to make me new shafts and bolts.
in europe it´s hard to get bolts with a let that has got 6mm... we mostly just have 5,8mm legs at our M6 bolts.
I would replace the needle bearings first, the play you describe is most often caused worn needle bearings.

Play in the rear end of a 07/08 DHR develops most often from the following:

First, obviously, check all the bolts including the main pivot bolts.

The eyelet bushing on the linkage mounted end of the shock goes fairly quickly if you don't use three piece mounting hardware. This is usually easy to isolate, lots of visible movement at the eyelet.

Next issue can be the needle bearings and these are a little harder to track down. There is less overall movement and it can be a small amount of play in a couple different needle bearings. This can add up to noticeable amounts of play that is not really able to be narrowed down to one pivot location.
This happens to me about once a season, and once I press in new bearings the play is gone. I find the main pivot bearings rarely need replacement, but the linkage needs them once a year or so.

I have yet to see a worn out pivot shaft, but the bolts do get tired after a while. I like to use fresh mounting bolts once a season or so as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts