Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear comments from those that are running a DHR2 on the front how they like it. Particularly, from those that have switched from a DHF.

I'm currently running a DHF/DHR2 combo but might try a DHR2/Rekon for a faster setup this summer.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
The DHF is flat out a better front tire than the DHR2 unless you prioritize front braking over nearly all else.
The DHR2 rolls slower and runs out of traction sooner when leaned over.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you want slightly faster but still burly, you could do DHF/DHF. It's a darn good rear tire and has the ramps to help with rolling resistance.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I greatly prefer the DHR2 as a front tire over the DHF. To me, if you can handle the lighter-duty capabilities of the Rekon in the rear, then the Summer setup you mentioned would be great. My general riding conditions are rocky, loose, loose over hard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i run a dhf dhr2 on my enduro bike and a dhr2 rekon on my short travel bike and i actually prefer the setup on the short travel bike. it’s a little skatey-er but in a fun way. i typically ride in fast steep loose conditions.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I just put on a dhr2 on my trail bike for the first time. I have always run dhf or assegai up front on my enduro bike or dhf on my trail bike.. I felt the dhr2 felt more "square" than the dhf I took off.
I also felt leaned over it was a bit more secure than dhf. Definitely a different feel than dhf but not in a negative way.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The tire hack the dedicated users of the DHR 2 up front is to slightly trim the center knobs (its not every one) that extends a few millimeters into the channel between the center knobs and cornerning knobs. This allows the corner knobs to engage with more bite and results in less sketchy/washout scenarios.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a rigid/29+ bike so my tire choices are more limited than, say someone running 29x2.4s F/R.

I posted a thread about this earlier and I think I am going to put in an order for DHF F/R in 29x3.0 soon, seems like a viable combo based on what I could tell!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was a die-hard, DHF/DHR2 user for I have no idea how long on my heavier hitting bikes for what seems like forever, 11-12 years maybe? I now don't really run the DHF any more and I run Assegai max terra front and DHR2 max terra on my enduro bike and DHR2 maxx grip front and Dissector dual casing on my trail bike. As a front tire for general trail riding I prefer the dhr2 maxx grip over a maxx terra dhf. I find that it grips better on rock slabs, it's lighter and it's a bit more forgiving at multiple lean angles (which is nice for a trail bike). Once I move to heavier hitting and riding applications, the assegai has more grip then the dhf in all cases. It's weird to basically use the same front tire for over 10 years and then all of a sudden not end up having one mounted up. I do still use a DH casing 2.5 DHF as a rear tire up at mammoth because I like how it's got a wider profile then the dhr2 and it's easier to initiate a drift in berms with.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Where have you found DC compound Dissectors?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Trail Rider
1,408 Posts
I preferred the DHR2 over the DHF on the front (with an Aggressor on the rear) until I started to use a Butcher Grid (Purgatory Grid rear)

There is a gap on the DHF between the center angled knobs and the outer knobs which made the transition when leaning the tire over a bit vague. The DHR2 is more precise feeling.

I know a lot of people don't like Spez tires, but I keep trying different setups, and always come back to this combo.

Today on a descent in a fast loose turn, the front tire started to unintentionally drift, but it was so controlled that I just made a slight weight adjustment on the front and rode it out. Hooked up nicely, back on track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My only experience with DHF is when my local shop loaned me a bike while mine was being works on. It had DHF front and rear and I felt significant drag on anything that was reasonably hard packed or smooth. In rough downhill and really chunky sections the traction was great but the trade off the rest of the time seemed not worth it. I am currently riding DHR2 front and Agressor rear and it is my favorite tire combo ever. Traction is awesome in a variety of conditions and rolling resistance is not bad. Where I ride in the SE has a lot of variation in conditions: dry sometimes, muddy sometimes, rocks, roots, loose over hard, sandy sections... This combo seems to handle it all pretty well. Granted they don’t roll as well as true XC tires but the overall traction and versatility is awesome.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I went from a DHF to a DHR2 on my front wheel when I got my Switchblade. The tire feels a bit lighter and more playful. I didn’t give up any noticeable traction. Also, the DHR2 has nice side knobs that help with cornering.

Reactions: Mountainfrog

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just upgraded my old butcher specialized tires to the DHF front and Aggressor rear. I felt more in control during braking and less sliding in the rear when the tire would go sideways. I’m not a speed guy but I can tell the resistance has gone up but I like to push.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm all about DHR2 Front and Rear. I tried the Assegai and felt better in very specific situations, but I cant tell when im on edge as much, it is more vague and barley more grip. The DHF feels great and probably better but only on certain long corners, on anything sharp or awkward the DHR2 works. Also tried an Aggressor on the rear, rolled about the same as the DHR2 and had less control, kind of hard to beat a DHR2 on any end of the bike, probably a reason its the most popular tire in Downhill. I have full confidence in my setup and I dont have to change my tires no matter what conditions I ride in, Norcal and Socal rider.

·
Trail Ninja
6,154 Posts
DHR 2 rolls faster, better under braking, just better overall, IME. DHF makes cornering the feature of the ride.

I prefer riding the same tire F & R for predictable and intuitive handling, rather than running the trendy combo of grippy cornering front and fast-rolling and paddle-like rear.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
DHR 2 rolls faster, better under braking, just better overall, IME. DHF makes cornering the feature of the ride.

I prefer riding the same tire F & R for predictable and intuitive handling, rather than running the trendy combo of grippy cornering front and fast-rolling and paddle-like rear.
Hardly a "trendy" combo to run more grippy front with faster rolling rear. Id guess the majority of mountain bikes are set up this way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts