Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No doubt recon will have less traction than a minion! I also have A 2.4 recon on order for the rear so I’ll be able to compare 2.6 and 2.4. Sometimes I enjoy ardent race in 2.3 so I’m not worried about less traction.
I think I read that the 2.4 Rekon had more aggressive knobs than the 2.6. Anyone know if that's accurate?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I read that the 2.4 Rekon had more aggressive knobs than the 2.6. Anyone know if that's accurate?
The Rekon varies so much from width to width. Kinda frustrating. To me the 2.4 Rekon doesn’t look that much more aggressive than a 2.35 Ardent Race.

I also run Rekon+ on the HT and the knobs on the plus version are twice as tall as any other Rekon model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
my new rekon 29 2.4 exo has center lugs of ~3.5-4mm and side lugs of 5mm.

my 150 mile used 29 2.6 exo+ has center lugs of ~3.5mm and side lugs of 5mm.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It looks like it but the lugs are the same size. I measured at some point. They have very similar traction levels and what works best may depend on how aggressive you ride as the 2.6 has relatively lighter construction.

·
orthonormal
4,800 Posts
On the DHF the 'vague transition zone issue', this is overhyped. I'd say it's an issue that's bordering on non-existent. I never think about it on the trail. Two newer riders I know got bikes with a DHF up front and I never mentioned this 'issue' to them and not being bike nerds they've never read about it online to my knowledge. Sure enough they've never had problems washing out or noticed this 'problem' on their own.
I have a DHF up front on one bike and an Assegai on the other. If I do several rides in a row on my bigger bike (with the Assegai) then switch to my other bike, i'll notice the little slip as the tire transitions from the center tread to the side knobs on the first 2-3 hard corners. Once i'm used to it again, it's actually reassuring because I know exactly where I am wrt lean angle. Some people actually prefer the DHF over the Assegai for that reason. I like the Assegai better but I am almost as happy with a DHF up front.

·
Registered
315 Posts
DHF / Rekon Race (or Ikon) is a nice n spicy combo.

DHF / Dissector (or High Roller) for when you need a little more.

Standard Rekon felt meh. Not as fast as an XC tire, no where near the grip of a Dissector or High Roller. Like pick a team bro, fast or grippy....

DHF dual compound is trash on the front. Why lug around that heavy ass tire then not get the grippy rubber?

·
Registered
55 Posts
XR4 is such a good tire, I've had Butcher/Purgatory, DHF/Aggressor and they're all good ... but XR4 feels less draggy with plenty of traction. Interested in the Dissector EXO though, seems like a good all around tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Standard Rekon felt meh. Not as fast as an XC tire, no where near the grip of a Dissector or High Roller. Like pick a team bro, fast or grippy....

DHF dual compound is trash on the front. Why lug around that heavy ass tire then not get the grippy rubber?
We'll see. I'm coming from XR4s which are DC front and rear and they've been great. They're 945 grams each. The DHF DC/EXO is 1007 so I'm not adding much there and the Rekon is 861 in DC/EXO. So I'm even slightly under the total weight of the XR4s. I probably don't need the full grip of a 3C DHF so DC might be a slightly faster rolling good compromise but with a grippier tread.

If the weather here in Atlanta would cooperate I could actually try it!

·
Registered
993 Posts
On the DHF the 'vague transition zone issue', this is overhyped. I'd say it's an issue that's bordering on non-existent. I never think about it on the trail.
Came here to say this. I’ve been using DHFs up front for probably close to 15 years now and the only tire with more grip is the Magic Mary, and that depends on the conditions. There simply isn’t a significant flaw in DHFs at any lean angle. They will not let you down.👍

I have a Rekon 2.6” that I tried this year up front, just to see if it would work for me. On XC stuff, it worked fine, but on the really steep loamers that I ride as they open up mid-summer, I could feel the Rekon letting go in corners. I put 2.5” WT DHF back on and it was like Velcro in the corners, and with straight on braking. Also, it did not slow me down on climbs or at rolling speeds. Rolling resistance doesn’t matter as much in the front.

As for the rear, I don’t think it’s entirely inappropriate to run that pairing (Rekon in the back, DHF up front). The Rekon does roll well, and traction in the back isn’t near as critical. If your trails aren’t particularly steep, you might appreciate the easier acceleration and speed, but can still count on the traction up front to keep you out of trouble.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
As for the rear, I don’t think it’s entirely inappropriate to run that pairing (Rekon in the back, DHF up front). The Rekon does roll well, and traction in the back isn’t near as critical. If your trails aren’t particularly steep, you might appreciate the easier acceleration and speed, but can still count on the traction up front to keep you out of trouble.
It's definitely not an inappropriate combo but if you can get by with a Rekon in the rear then you don't need a DHF up front. Something like a Dissector will roll noticeably faster than the DHF and still out gun the Rekon out back. I even swapped my Rekon for a 2.3 DHR2 DC for the winter and the Dissector still keeps up just fine. So it's totally fine to run the DHF up front if that's what you have but I personally wouldn't buy a DHF 2.5 to run in front of a Rekon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Came here to say this. I’ve been using DHFs up front for probably close to 15 years now and the only tire with more grip is the Magic Mary, and that depends on the conditions. There simply isn’t a significant flaw in DHFs at any lean angle. They will not let you down.👍

I have a Rekon 2.6” that I tried this year up front, just to see if it would work for me. On XC stuff, it worked fine, but on the really steep loamers that I ride as they open up mid-summer, I could feel the Rekon letting go in corners. I put 2.5” WT DHF back on and it was like Velcro in the corners, and with straight on braking. Also, it did not slow me down on climbs or at rolling speeds. Rolling resistance doesn’t matter as much in the front.

It's definitely not an inappropriate combo but if you can get by with a Rekon in the rear then you don't need a DHF up front. Something like a Dissector will roll noticeably faster than the DHF and still out gun the Rekon out back. I even swapped my Rekon for a 2.3 DHR2 DC for the winter and the Dissector still keeps up just fine. So it's totally fine to run the DHF up front if that's what you have but I personally wouldn't buy a DHF 2.5 to run in front of a Rekon.
It’s hard for me to pick a favorite tire combo but I’d probably go with 2.3 DHF front, 2.3 Minion SS rear. But I enjoy everything from ardent race to assegai, 2.3 - 2.6 on my “performance mtn bikes”

·
Registered
585 Posts
The Rekon 2.4 is narrower and lower volume than most other Maxxis 2.4 tires. For me it didn't pair well with the 2.5 DHF or the Dissector 2.4, which I know a lot of people run with it. I have been using it instead with a 2.3 DHF on the front and I like the combo. Width and volume are about the same but it rolls faster than the DHRII I was running previously in the rear.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
On the DHF the 'vague transition zone issue', this is overhyped. I'd say it's an issue that's bordering on non-existent. I never think about it on the trail.
The vague issue is rider dependent. I have run DHFs and they work great if your riding style is fast and you throw the bike into the corners and just trust the tires. The vague issue arises when you are aren't riding hard and lean the bike over progressively, then you get that gap where it starts to slide. If you are an experienced enough rider, it tells you that you need to push over harder, but it still can be disconcerting.

I personally don't run DHFs anymore because I don't ride at Mach 10 everywhere. I am getting older and often times am going down trails at 80% and in the case of new trails even slower as I am looking at the line and runout. That gap doesn't work for me riding this way. By contrast, my 17 year old son that races downhill doesn't run anything else on the front of his trail bike.

It really comes down to taking an honest look at how and where you ride. If you are on the more aggressive side, the DHF and others with no transition knobs can give better overall grip. If you are less aggressive and/or prefer a more progressive feel, something like the Magic Mary or Vigilante works better.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
My experience is kinda the opposite. Like I said I knew newer riders (they don't properly lean the bike in corners) and they didn't have any issues with the DHF. I also ride with a DHF in a variety of terrain (east coast XC mostly) and have no issues at slow speeds (even though I'm a fairly aggressive rider). You don't need to be pinned for these tires to work. I really think the people that have the most issues are people who are thinking about the transition zone when they ride the DHF. The only issue with it I had was actually at high speed coming into a bike park berm too fast. I was leaning and braking too late and felt the tire start to get that floaty feeling before getting the bike leaned over. I'm not saying it's not an issue at all but once you get used to how the tire behaves it's mostly not a problem regardless of riding style. I think rider perception is a bigger factor than riding style. However, if you're not riding aggressive you don't need a DHF anyway so it all comes out in the wash I suppose.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
Minion SS in the rear!
This is the correct answer. Only change for me is HR2 in the front if you ride loose over hard pack. It does not have the intermediately lean squirm that you can feel with the DHF.

For those saying it doesn't exist, it does but there are two ways that a rider might not experience it. First off is a new or intermediate rider that does not lean the bike over far enough to hit that intermediate transition. The second is the advanced rider that always pushes the bike over hard immediately and therefore doesn't ride the transition that much or for very long.

The combo of DHF and Minion SS is awesome though. Fast rolling, excellent grip in dry conditions and great cornering.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
For those saying it doesn't exist, it does but there are two ways that a rider might not experience it. First off is a new or intermediate rider that does not lean the bike over far enough to hit that intermediate transition. The second is the advanced rider that always pushes the bike over hard immediately and therefore doesn't ride the transition that much or for very long.
I don't think anyone said it doesn't exist. I also think this is a very binary way of looking at riding styles. An advanced rider is going to corner at all sorts of lean angles. You don't automatically lean past that zone in every corner. An advanced rider isn't going to lean the bike more than they have to. Lean angle depends on corner radius and speed. Sometimes a trail is just wiggling through trees, sometimes you have to make a hard 90, switchbacks, wide sweepers, berms, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think anyone said it doesn't exist. I also think this is a very binary way of looking at riding styles. An advanced is going to corner at all sorts of lean angles. You don't automatically lean past that zone in every corner. An advanced rider isn't going to lean the bike more than they have to. Lean angle depends on corner radius and speed. Sometimes a trail is just wiggling through trees, sometimes you have to make a hard 90, switchbacks, wide sweepers, berms, etc.
It can also be advantageous to break traction and drift through corners (not skid) in certain situations. Although tires with bigger side lugs will hook up again more easily when you want to straighten back out.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've come to realize that no matter how great the DHF is, its actually my average pedaling speed in our area that determines where and how much I live in the transition area of the tire. I mean it really adds up anyway (apply tire aggresiveness to your terrain and riding style) but to me if most of your riding is a long way up, and super fun longer downs, the DHF can be the real winner. But on most my local trails I had to come to the realization that 80pct of it was pedaling with cornering included and that tires with a transition zone just worked better (DHR2 or Dissector). On the second half of longer rides I really would notice it....when I am not a hero anymore and I'm literally just trying to press forward. LOL At one point I went to the 2.5 DHF thinking it would be a boss! Nope....boat anchor and the transition area was even more noticeable - I had gone backwards! That's when I discovered the magical Dissector...we just clicked.

·
Registered
Scott Genius
1 Posts
I ran the DHF / Rekon combo for about 4 months. Loved the DHF in all conditions. The Rekon was great for pedaling and was decent on hardpack while in the center of the tire. There is little cornering confidence and when it’s loose/rocky, the Rekon sucks. I went to a DHR 2 rear and like it a lot but want something between the two. I just ordered an aggressor so we’ll see how that goes.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Vittoria agarro is what the rekon should have been. Rolls amazing and grips way better. I’d take that paired with a dhf over the rekon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts