Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run something like this? I'm coming off of a pair of Bontrager XR4s that I've enjoyed but want to try something different. I'm relatively new to riding (2 years) so I want to do a "survey" of tires and will probably try several pairs in fairly short order to see what I like.

My neighbor had a virtually brand-new 2.5WT DHF that he wanted to swap for a DHR2, so I said I'd buy the DHF. He runs tan walls so the DHF (and the 2.4WT Rekon that I ordered) are DC since that's all they offer in tan.

To my somewhat untrained self, XR4s seem to be a good balanced tire with traction vs. rolling. The DHF / Rekon combo weighs about the same total, but will shift more weight to the front with the DHF. Overall, hoping for more traction without a huge rolling penalty. This is for general trail riding in the Atlanta area with forays to the local free ride and mountains.

Saw that Worldwide Cycling really likes the DHR2/Rekon combo, but haven't seen much with the DHF.

Thanks...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Anyone run something like this? I'm coming off of a pair of Bontrager XR4s that I've enjoyed but want to try something different. I'm relatively new to riding (2 years) so I want to do a "survey" of tires and will probably try several pairs in fairly short order to see what I like.

My neighbor had a virtually brand-new 2.5WT DHF that he wanted to swap for a DHR2, so I said I'd buy the DHF. He runs tan walls so the DHF (and the 2.4WT Rekon that I ordered) are DC since that's all they offer in tan.

To my somewhat untrained self, XR4s seem to be a good balanced tire with traction vs. rolling. The DHF / Rekon combo weighs about the same total, but will shift more weight to the front with the DHF. Overall, hoping for more traction without a huge rolling penalty. This is for general trail riding in the Atlanta area with forays to the local free ride and mountains.

Saw that Worldwide Cycling really likes the DHR2/Rekon combo, but haven't seen much with the DHF.

Thanks...
DHF/Rekon came stock on my bike. I never really got along with this combo, and swapped the DHF for an XR4 front. The XR4 seems better matched to the Rekon for me, as I like when a tire looses traction gradually in very dry conditions, and tolerates shallow lean angles on flat turns and shallow descents. The XR4 and Rekon both seem to me to have these properties, with their intermediate knobs and not super square profiles. It really depends on how and what you ride. If you are ready to trade more locked in cornering at more aggressive angles for a dead spot at shallow lean angles, then the DHF may be more suited to how you want to evolve your riding, but most people would pair it with a similarly more aggressive back tire, like the Aggressor.

(Talking 2.6 width, 27.5 tires on a FS bike. My DHF was 120 TPI, same with stock Rekon, but I prefer DC/90 TPI for the rear. i30 rims)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DHF/Rekon came stock on my bike. It really depends on how and what you ride. If you are ready to trade more locked in cornering at more aggressive angles for a dead spot at shallow lean angles, then the DHF may be more suited to how you want to evolve your riding, but most people would pair it with a similarly more aggressive back tire, like the Aggressor.
Thanks. What bike did they come stock on?

The lack of intermediate grip on the DHF is the biggest worry for me. I’m trying to work on more aggressive leaning but I’m not there yet. Maybe this will help me by giving me no choice:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
DHF and Rekon works, but IMO DHF outperforms the rear quite a bit.
I was running DHF with SE4 in the rear. It's a good match. You can run with XR4 if it lasts for you.
I'm going to run DHF with Dissector in the rear now. It seems to be getting quite popular. Not because PB recently used this combo for their trail bike test, I was planning before :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Been a fan of using the Dissector like a Minion DHF’s little brother. Matched up well with Rekon for our loose leaves and gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really like this combo as well for summer riding. You should be ok with a dhf/rekon (I have a year on DHF2.5/aggressor 2.5) but it's a little bit of a mismatch so that's why it's a combo that you'll see less often

Reactions: Alpione

·
EDR
10,011 Posts
I ride in loose and rocky terrain. I put a Rekon on the back with a dhf on the front for a while. I found the rear completely lacking in traction on the rocky up's. These two tires are kind of mismatched with their intended purpose. Not that you can't run it this way. Of course you can.

I ditched the Rekon in the rear for a SE4 and that tire better suited my needs in the rear. Now running a Dissector up front. Nice combo for me.

my thoughts are that if the Rekon is a good rear tire for you then the dhf up front is probably overkill. Terrain matters though, and if you ride a lot of crushed granite over hard pack it's hard to beat the dhf up front as it just bites through the scree pretty well.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
203 Posts
The DHF is tough and really good in certain conditions. I didn’t like the vague transition to the cornering knobs

The Rekon is a good rear tire in the correct conditions. Mainly hard pack, loose over hard stuff. However I’m a huge fan of the Dissector now. I ran the DHF/Rekon, then Dissector/Rekon and now I’m really happy with Dissector/Dissector.

The Dissector seems to be a Goldilocks combination of grip, rolling resistance, weight and cornering for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks. What bike did they come stock on?

The lack of intermediate grip on the DHF is the biggest worry for me. I’m trying to work on more aggressive leaning but I’m not there yet. Maybe this will help me by giving me no choice:)
I don't have a whole lot of experience with aggressive tires, and I, too, was worried about about the transition zone of a DHF up front. I've found it to be a non-issue, though. FWIW, I run a Rekon on the rear, and I think the combo works fine.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Like others have said, the Rekon doesn't have nearly as much traction as the DHF so you end up pedaling around too much tire for no reason. Which isn't a huge deal but the Dissector rolls faster and is lighter than the DHF while still having a decent amount more cornering grip than the Rekon.

On the DHF the 'vague transition zone issue', this is overhyped. I'd say it's an issue that's bordering on non-existent. I never think about it on the trail. Two newer riders I know got bikes with a DHF up front and I never mentioned this 'issue' to them and not being bike nerds they've never read about it online to my knowledge. Sure enough they've never had problems washing out or noticed this 'problem' on their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good feedback all - thanks. The Rekon actually arrived last night after I posted this, so my neighbor and I will be having a tire installation party today or tomorrow.

I was actually looking at the Dissectors which did appear to be a nice middle ground jack-of-all-trades. This is dumb, but I didn't realize that Maxxis only made a very few tires in tan sidewall (DHF/DHR, Rekon, and I think some that wouldn't fit my purposes at all) before I agreed to buy my neighbor's DHF in that color. So I probably would have gone Dissector right away if it came in tan. Oh well - we're not talking major life investments here. If it doesn't work I could swap both or - gasp! - go with one tan and one black for a while as I rotate to something else. ;)

Terrain around us varies. My home track has gobs of loose rocks and gravel over what I'd call soft-hardpack. The freeride portion is a little softer with some pretty chattery root gardens, etc. We went to Coldwater in Alabama this weekend and it was very rocky over that same soft-hardback. Hopefully the combo works well, but easy enough to change if it doesn't.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you can ride the XR4s and not tear up those paper mache sidewalls within two rides, they're a really good tire. Very grippy, supple and relatively light for the tread pattern. I got something like four unsealed punctures in three rides.

DHF is a beast in good and bad ways. I have it on the rear. Not trying to be a weight weenie, but you probably will notice the difference versus the XR4. Tire feels clunky with the extra weight and the thick sidewalls. Flats have been non-existent. Cornering grip is great as is climbing anything loose. Climbing rock surfaces is decent; probably better if I had one of the softer compounds.

Don't know about the Rekon. The comments have got me interested in the Dissector.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I run a DHF/Rekon combo and it works great for me. At this point in my life i appreciate the security blanket of the DHF up front. The only day i noticed the Rekon not keeping up with the DHF was when riding the chair lifts but it still did better than expected.

For my hard/loose over hard trails the DHF is probably too much tire vs the Rekon being to little. Before every ride i think of pulling the DHF and replacing it with something less DHF-ish, but while riding i think to myself why change?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can ride the XR4s and not tear up those paper mache sidewalls within two rides, they're a really good tire. Very grippy, supple and relatively light for the tread pattern. I got something like four unsealed punctures in three rides.
I've liked them on this bike (2020 Trek Fuel EX8) and would be happy replacing them with new XR4s but want to try some different stuff. Haven't had any unsealed punctures even with my sometimes crappy line choice over rocks and drops, and I'm 220lbs.

I run a DHF/Rekon combo and it works great for me. At this point in my life i appreciate the security blanket of the DHF up front. The only day i noticed the Rekon not keeping up with the DHF was when riding the chair lifts but it still did better than expected.

For my hard/loose over hard trails the DHF is probably too much tire vs the Rekon being to little. Before every ride i think of pulling the DHF and replacing it with something less DHF-ish, but while riding i think to myself why change?
Good to hear. I'm curious how much I'm going to feel slowed by the DHF, though I did get both tires in Dual Compound so theoretically that should help rolling. We'll see this weekend!

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
203 Posts
Like others have said, the Rekon doesn't have nearly as much traction as the DHF so you end up pedaling around too much tire for no reason. Which isn't a huge deal but the Dissector rolls faster and is lighter than the DHF while still having a decent amount more cornering grip than the Rekon.

On the DHF the 'vague transition zone issue', this is overhyped. I'd say it's an issue that's bordering on non-existent. I never think about it on the trail. Two newer riders I know got bikes with a DHF up front and I never mentioned this 'issue' to them and not being bike nerds they've never read about it online to my knowledge. Sure enough they've never had problems washing out or noticed this 'problem' on their own.
The vague transition is by no means a deal breaker for the DHF. It’s a great tire.

In softer soil, I didn’t notice it. It’s when soil conditions got harder that it become an issue for me. The biggest issue for me was confidence. The “dead zone” when you transitioned to the side knobs felt a lot like loosing traction, I went from getting a lot of feedback from the tire to nothing. In fast, dry hard pack turns I did have some issues with it wanting to slide till I was able to get onto the side knobs.

many trails, I had zero issue with the DHF. Especially natural trails with softer soil that the DHF could dig into.

It’s one of those things that also highlights itself when you ride a tire that doesn’t have the issue. In all reality, if the Dissector didn’t exist, I would probably still be riding a DHF up front. I’m certainly not dumping on it. I just found a tire that works better for my riding.

·
Registered
178 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I run the DHF/Rekon combo all summer. I don't mind the rear being a bit drifty and I like the light weight and low rolling resistance of the Rekon but I very much appreciate the traction of the DHF up front. I now have a Dissector on the rear for the winter. It is definitely more suited to winter conditions compared to the Rekon but it is noticeably slower, in my opinion. I'll be switching back to the Rekon or maybe I'll even try a Minion SS on the rear once things dry out a bit in the spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I run the DHF/Rekon combo all summer. I don't mind the rear being a bit drifty and I like the light weight and low rolling resistance of the Rekon but I very much appreciate the traction of the DHF up front. I now have a Dissector on the rear for the winter. It is definitely more suited to winter conditions compared to the Rekon but it is noticeably slower, in my opinion. I'll be switching back to the Rekon or maybe I'll even try a Minion SS on the rear once things dry out a bit in the spring.
I love minion SS for the rear: rolls fast and corners like a minion. It just tends to wear out quicker since you start out with such small center knobs. DHF front/ SS rear is one of my favorite combos. Although I’m looking forward to trying recon front and rear in 2.6 to see how larger volume balances with smaller knobs for fast rolling and hopefully still good overall traction.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I love minion SS for the rear: rolls fast and corners like a minion. It just tends to wear out quicker since you start out with such small center knobs. DHF front/ SS rear is one of my favorite combos. Although I’m looking forward to trying recon front and rear in 2.6 to see how larger volume balances with smaller knobs for fast rolling and hopefully still good overall traction.
Not to be negative but you're going to be disappointed. The 2.6 Rekon has basically the same traction as 2.4 Rekon which is less than any Minion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not to be negative but you're going to be disappointed. The 2.6 Rekon has basically the same traction as 2.4 Rekon which is less than any Minion.
No doubt recon will have less traction than a minion! I also have A 2.4 recon on order for the rear so I’ll be able to compare 2.6 and 2.4. Sometimes I enjoy ardent race in 2.3 so I’m not worried about less traction.
Currently I am running Assagi front, dhr rear so I am definitely in for a change in tire characteristics. BTW Assagi/DHR is the best combo for DH I’ve tried, but rolls slow on the flats of course!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts